PDA

View Full Version : Cross Compatibility for Select.add

Torin Mai
05-08-2007, 07:37 PM
Hello, I'm working on a pretty simple script that involves adding options to an html SELECT. Ideally I'd like to use the object's add(new, old) method, but the trouble is making it compatible with both FF and IE. The trouble is this:
In IE the parameters for the function are an option object for new and an index for old. But in Firefox the parameters are both option objects. Everything else in the script works on both platforms reasonably well (IE doesn't like my using setAttribute("style",somestyle) for the options) except for the one line that uses the add method.
I couldn't think of any sort of object I could use to detect to see which to use, so if anyone has any ideas on how to tell the two variations apart I'd really appreciate it.

Thanks,
Torin

mwinter
05-08-2007, 09:18 PM
Hello, I'm working on a pretty simple script that involves adding options to an html SELECT. Ideally I'd like to use the object's add(new, old) method, but the trouble is making it compatible with both FF and IE.

Yes, IE violates the method signature, and it is rather annoying. Whilst it is possible to use the add method, it's simpler to use appendChild. Just make sure that when you create the option element, create a text node and add it to that element; don't use the text property because IE won't display it.

An alternative approach is to use the DOM 0 Option constructor, treating the options collection of the select element as a writeable array.

Mike

Torin Mai
05-10-2007, 07:29 PM
I'd considered that (the options array I mean) and originally I was originally going to use splice until I learned about the add method. However, unless I've not heard of it, there's no insert function in Javascript for arrays and that's what I need is to be able to insert the option anywhere.

Hmm. The more XML approach sounds interesting (if awkward). Any chance you could give me an example of what you mean? I've never used appendChild quick like that, and mostly used it to add divs/spans/etc to other divs/etc.

mwinter
05-10-2007, 07:55 PM
However, unless I've not heard of it, there's no insert function in Javascript for arrays and that's what I need is to be able to insert the option anywhere.

The splice method is the only built-in method capable of inserting an array element at any point. However, if you wanted to use the Option constructor for it's compatibility advantage, you'd also need to provide the splice method for some older browsers which failed to implement it (I have code for that, though).

Hmm. The more XML approach sounds interesting (if awkward). Any chance you could give me an example of what you mean?

How about:

/* Creates a DOMOptionElement with the given text, value, and selection status.
* If creation fails, the return value is null. The selection status defaults to
* false.
*/
function createOptionElement(text, value, selected) {
var element, textNode;

if (document.createElement && (element = document.createElement('option'))
&& element.appendChild && document.createTextNode
&& (textNode = document.createTextNode(text))) {
element.appendChild(textNode);
element.value = value;
element.selected = Boolean(selected);
return element;
}
return null;
}

/* Inserts an option element into select element at the given position. The position
* can either be expressed as an number in the range [-1,length] where length
* is the number of option elements already in the list, or as a reference to an element
* in the list. Values of -1, length, and null append the item. If given a reference,
* the new option element is inserted before the referenced element. If the position is
* omitted, the option will be appended.
* Upon return, boolean true indicates success, with false signifying failure.
*/
function insertOption(optionElement, selectElement, position) {
if (typeof position == 'number')
if (position == -1) position = null;
else position = selectElement.options[position];
else if (typeof position == 'undefined') position = null;
if (selectElement.insertBefore) {
selectElement.insertBefore(optionElement, position);
return true;
}
return false;
}

I just wrote that quickly, so there's a chance it will break, but I shouldn't think so. Just be sure to test any application of it. :)

Mike