PDA

View Full Version : IFRAME closed captioning component???

Clancy56
05-05-2007, 03:00 AM
Hello to all.

I have no real clue on how to make this idea work but it sure seems feasible and would immensely appreciate any assistance or direction to make this happen.

What I want to happen is to have the user have the ability to turn an IFRAME, ON and OFF at anytime say within a series of 25 continuously linked pages.

OK that doesn't sound like a big deal. The problem is how do I make the IFRAME stay open or closed as the user moves from page to page through the sequence of pages? I am trying to create closed captioning component for a training piece. So if the user decides to use the CC the IFRAME would stay open through all the pages of a section and the content of the IFRAME would automatically change to correspond to the new page as the user advances through a section.

I have done this in flash by loading and unloading movies. So to show the CC the user hit a button that unloaded the top layer movie to expose the CC on a lower layer and back on to close or hide it again. That was a pretty simple task but I can not get my head around JavaScript and IFRAME to make this happen and could sure use a whole lot of help.

Thank you
Clancy

Bob90
05-05-2007, 08:31 AM
Use cookies to make the Iframes persistent.

When an Iframe is opened, store to a cookie which one it was.

Then when you naivagte to a new page, access the cookie and open the correct Iframe.

If you can't use cookies - (You said training) maybe activeX (On IE only) or server side.

Clancy56
05-06-2007, 01:29 AM
Bob90 ,

Thank you very much for your reply.
Both suggestions sound good and I am off to investigate both.

Clancy56