PDA

View Full Version : help with menu... frame... page

slowchump
09-24-2004, 05:52 PM
so I was planning (Still trying) to make a page with this menu on top:

http://www.dynamicdrive.com/dynamicindex1/hvmenu/index.htm

this was cake to configure, and a really cool bar. Here is my issue, I would like to just have the bar up top, and have content open on the "same page" or appear to. I tried it using frames, but that stunk, it either was too far down (and didn't look like it was opening "behind" the bar) or it wouldn't display the bottom of the choices as they expanded... What to do?

Thanks for any help,
Brandon

cr3ative
09-24-2004, 08:00 PM
I would like to just have the bar up top, and have content open on the "same page" or appear to.

Could you elaborate on this please? Do you mean you want the hv menu on the same page as your text, or you want hv menu links to open on the same page?

cr3ative

slowchump
09-24-2004, 08:23 PM
I want it to appear that there is only "one page"... the menu at the top, and each time you click on a choice in the menu it changes everything on the page (except the menu at top). I know this can be done 99% of the way by just adding the menu to the top of each page, and loading them seperately, but this doesn't allow me to link to outside content (and keep the bar) and it is a pain.

Thanks for any help... is this still as clear as mud?

BRandon

gigabites
09-25-2004, 12:41 AM
:confused::confused:
I see... You want to keep the menu bar when opening an outside website...
Well You can make the frames seperated vertically, not horizontally. Put the menu on the left frame, and the target content on the right frame.

cr3ative
09-25-2004, 05:06 AM
IMO frames are awful, but that's just me. Unfortunately you can't then have the menu at the top, only as gigabites says at the top. Just to note, frame management is quite hard to keep track of (i.e not suddenly getting a frame in a frame in a frame).

cr3ative

gigabites
09-25-2004, 11:41 PM
@cr3ative :
I don't like to use frames either.. I like iframe! :D

slowchump
09-27-2004, 02:05 PM
problem I have found is that the only way (as you stated) to keep the menu there is with frames... but...

the menu will not leave the border of the frame, so it doesn't matter whether you use horizontal or vertical menus... it cuts off the menu once the width/depth of the frame is met. Is there a way to have it "overlap" into the other frame as the menu is expanded?

Brandon

cr3ative
09-27-2004, 04:46 PM
Generally, DHTML does not cross layers. Sorry.

cr3ative

slowchump
09-28-2004, 03:31 PM
is there another way to accomplish what I want to do, or is it back to the drawing board.

Brandon

Megabolt
10-10-2004, 07:38 PM
Hey How Can I Make The Links In The Pop out Menu On My Page Open Up In The "Content" Frame?!?!!?!?!?!?!?!?

<a href="http://element16.250free.com">My Page</a>
if that link does nt work then here is the url http://element16.250free.com

Megabolt
10-10-2004, 07:39 PM
im sorry the html i put in that last msg was not supposed 2 b ther

cr3ative
10-11-2004, 02:55 PM
Hi Megabolt (please click edit on your first message rather than create a new post)

Set the link TARGET="framename"
<a href="url" target="framename">linkytext</a>

cr3ative