PDA

View Full Version : form submission

boch2691
05-01-2007, 06:34 PM
I think this is a pretty basic problem but It's giving me alot of trouble, I want to submit a form either to an e-mail(but without using the html "mailto" that requires outlook) or have the form data sent to a file. Is there a script to help me with this? Thanks!

mburt
05-01-2007, 06:41 PM
Can you use PHP? PHP has the mail() function, which only works if STMP is installed on your server, which it most-likely is.

djr33
05-01-2007, 08:12 PM
If that can't work, you could also use a "free form mailer" (google that) instead. Less flexibility, but still a ton better than mailto:.

mburt
05-02-2007, 12:39 AM
The mailto: function only works in Windows, anyways. Linux users won't even see anything, unless they have a third-party version of Outlook Express.

thetestingsite
05-02-2007, 01:10 AM
In addition to what mburt said, the mailto function also only works when there is a default mail client installed and setup with an email address on the user's computer. Go with what djr33 said about a free form mail script by searching either these forums (there are literally tons floating around) or Google.

Hope this helps.

boogyman
05-02-2007, 12:30 PM
doesnt the mailto function just use whatever the user has set as their default email program? because I used to use hotmail and when I clicked on a mailto it went to hotmail's mail login page