PDA

View Full Version : Non resizable windows and removing scroll/tool bar

ir_is_21
04-30-2007, 10:48 PM
Hi, I'm new and I need some help! I know every place I have read that it is a bad idea to make a window non resizable but... I am trying to make a graphic design portfolio and the pop up with a large image of my work would look cleaner on a non resizable window with no scrollbar or navigation.

I made my window in flash so I cannot use the pop up behavior in dreamweaver. Can anyone tell me what code I can write in the window that will open so that it will no longer be resizable and to remove navigation and scrollbars.

I finally figured out how to size it but I don't know how to make it fixed.

So far this is the code I have:

<script language="JavaScript">
self.resizeTo(W,H);
</script>

Please help! I have been searching all day...

thanks,

iris

jscheuer1
05-01-2007, 04:02 AM
What did you do in Flash to make your window?

Anyways, you're right, not such a hot idea. It will look horrible on anyone's screen that isn't big enough for the window/image, and they won't be able to scroll the rest of the image into view. And, there are the pop up blockers, and the new windows to existing window, and new window to tab settings many folks have so really, the appearance for any given user is out of your hands.

Lightbox:

http://www.dynamicdrive.com/dynamicindex4/lightbox2/index.htm

Is a very nice alternative to opening a window.

Back to your question, if you use the javascript window open method in Flash, something like (I'm not much up on Flash):

URL="javascript:window.open('some.jpg','','width=300, height=250')"

It will use the minimum stuff allowed, like no address bar, scroll bar, etc. But, all modern browsers now have some minimum requirements for new windows.

ir_is_21
05-01-2007, 02:24 PM
Thanks for the lightbox suggestion. I will give it a try. I do think if I managed to make popups they would be fine, I've seen it done on other portfolio websites before and it makes the work more clear and clean than cluttered with navigation and scrollbars.

jscheuer1
05-01-2007, 02:46 PM
I've seen it done on other portfolio websites before and it makes the work more clear and clean than cluttered with navigation and scrollbars.

As I said -

the appearance for any given user is out of your hands.

So, yes it looks good to you but may look very poorly to others. The web is not TV and even with TV, the way something looks depends to a degree upon one's TV. On the web, and especially with pop ups, there is a much greater range of variation in the user experience.

What you choose to do though, of course is up to you.