PDA

View Full Version : Displaying 3D model files in frame/iframe?

Shotgun Ninja
04-30-2007, 06:51 PM
A long time ago, I got tired of clicking on links to model files on webpages and having my modeling program initialize and crash my computer with it's resource-hoggishness. (Anyone who has Paint Shop Pro on an old computer knows what I mean.) Is it possible to use the OLE object system to render model files in Javascript (I know that DirectX works with Java) inside of a web page frame? Can anyone come up with a way to do it?

EDIT:

If at all possible, could anyone come up with an add-on to allow the user to manipulate the model file?

I know I ask a lot, but 3D mesh/animation files are the only types of files not yet brought into the mainstream of web sites. Any other type of file (text files, image files, video files, games, databases, archival files, sound files, code files, physics systems, and even the lowly virus) has been incorporated into web pages, so why not 3D models? It could be done...

Bob90
04-30-2007, 08:10 PM
It's not been done for the precise reason you note; that 3D modelling requires a lot of resources. I would say it requires too much for a browser to handle.
Javascript is certainly not the way to go.
Maybe Java or an offical plugin.

Shotgun Ninja
05-18-2007, 02:25 PM
Yes, but I don't care about the resources. Can it be done? Is it possible? I got it to work on a small scale on a TI-83 graphing calculator, and that's just about as stretched for resources as you can possibly get. And by the way, the whole Java/frame/DirectX thing was a suggestion, I really don't care whether it is using Javascript or ActiveX, DirectX or OpenGL, I just want to know, can it be accomplished?

If not, then does anyone have a graphical interface that can run in a webpage? Because that I can manipulate.

Bob90
05-18-2007, 04:52 PM
EDIT: You contradict yourself. Do you care about the resources or not?

Firstly, can you respond quicker than every fortnight.

Secondly, the TI is a calculator with built in display. It draws pixels to the screen and works directly with the interface. Javascript can only deal with divs and works through the browser.

Thirdly, Yes, of course it's possible

Fourthly, Search the internet, thats what it's for. If someone in a javascript forum says it is unlikely to be able to be fulfilled with javascript, it's unlikely to be fulfilled with javascript (Use another forum).

It's really not hard on google
Try
http://www.turntool.com/. they use it on the Corus Construction Website.
OR
http://cic.nist.gov/vrml/vbdetect.html

I'm not trying to be harsh, but you're asking the right questions in the wrong forums.

:)

djr33
05-18-2007, 08:10 PM
One option would be to use the quicktime virtual [something]. I forget the exact term, but it's a way that you can generate a (I think) polar coordinate image that when rotated is as if you are spinning around an object. Or you could make a quicktime movie with the virtual [something] controls that from beginning to end rotates. See apple.com for examples of that.

Search for Quicktime VR... I just can't remember what the R is, but it may be Reality... just seems like that doesn't quite make sense.