PDA

View Full Version : Video Editing Software

rachel
04-23-2007, 04:13 PM
I am wondering what you guys thought about various softwares, Avid Xpress vs Adobe Premier, etc. What are the pros and cons of each? If anyone has some experiance, please share!

nwalton
04-24-2007, 09:34 PM
I don't know a lot about video editing, but there's a review here that seems to give a pretty good overview:
http://www.pcmag.com/category2/0,1874,4835,00.asp

From the looks of it, Adobe Premier Elements seems to be a pretty good bet at a very reasonable price. I'm sure some of the others can do a lot more, but are also more expensive.

djr33
04-25-2007, 12:20 AM
Final Cut Pro is great.
It's very similar to Premiere.
However, it is, from my experience, more stable.
Premiere may work better on a PC than it did on my mac, though.
FCP is Mac only, so.... if that's a problem, not much you can do about it.

Premiere is fine.

Elements.... maybe.

It depends on what you want to do.

Some cases, you could just use Windows Movie Maker (XP), or if you do have a Mac, just use iMovie. I love iMovie, and use it when I can, though I have other apps as well.

This is what I do, so please feel free to ask me more questions.

nwalton
04-25-2007, 01:17 AM
Thanks for adding some more experienced advice.

It depends on what you want to do.

It seems like this is at the root of a lot of software comparisons like this.

djr33
04-25-2007, 01:43 AM
Especially in video editing, the features are based on price.

It's quite possible to do very complex things now, but to keep profits high, the companies aren't going to give these away with the cheap software.

Apple could easily bundle all of the features of FCP with iMovie, but they won't, so you want to buy FCP.

I would need to know more information about use of the software to determine exactly which would fit and how much should be spent.

Hound
04-25-2007, 03:35 AM
Honestly, I would say go with Adobe Premiere.

With CS3 coming out the integration will be even better (and it was amazing before) If you use ANY of the other softwares (even if it's ONLY after effects) look at getting the master collection.

Final Cut is good to for high end but I'd say the integration for adobe makes it worth every penny.

djr33
04-25-2007, 03:52 AM
FCS... final cut studio is just as integrated as the adobe collection.
The question is mac or pc, which is available. i'd no question recommend FCS if you have a mac, but, sure Premiere if you have a PC.

However, elements might be fine.... again, depends on the level needed. I doubt after effects will apply here.
Photoshop, maybe, but that integrates will with other apps (like FCP), too.

Hound
04-25-2007, 03:22 PM
Djr33 has a good point.

Mac... i'd say go with FCP. I don't agree on the level of integration though for Adobe, I believe it is much more powerful (with the ability to launch part of your premiere project into Aftereffects, apply all effects that you need then switch back over to PPro and NOT have to render it in Aftereffects)

But another good point djr33 made was, what do you need? What level of depth do you want... honestly iMovie and windows movie maker MAY be good enough for you... especially when you consider they are free ;)

djr33
04-25-2007, 09:00 PM
For integration, Final Cut Studio 2 looks insane. I'm still using FCS1, so I can't say anything about the specifics, but it looks awesome.

Though, if you do need After Effects, which IS better than Motion, perhaps the Premiere approach would be best.

As for a Mac, though, I'd still strongly suggest FCP over Premiere, as Premiere has always been sluggish to respond (zooming in and out on the timeline, etc.) on my Mac, and they discontinued support for Macs with v. 7 ("pro"). I think they may be planning (or may have already) added the support back in, but I just don't think it will be stable on a mac, like before.

The clear choice, at this level, though, is Premiere/AE/PS/etc. if you are using a PC.

But, again, Windows Movie Maker and iMovie, when used correctly can really do some good stuff, if you don't need complex effects, etc. They are also generally faster, without as much time rendering.