PDA

View Full Version : Browser Marquee with an external feed like CNN

clair
04-22-2007, 10:31 AM
1) Script Title: Cross Browser Marquee

2) Script URL (on DD):
http://www.dynamicdrive.com/dynamicindex2/cmarquee.htm

3) Describe problem:

No problem -- but tantalizingly close to what I want.

Here's the impossible grail (I've spent 30 - 40 hours on this in the last 2 weeks) so I'm dead serious about the difficulty.

I want to display a wide narrow box (like this Marquee) INSIDE a web page where ever I want it to appear. And, I want the contents scrolled to be an RSS feed, like CNN news, or BBC, or whatever.

This script was brought to my attention by Jim on feedforall. However, I cannot get it to work with rss2html.php. It comes close, but the problem lies with the template. rss2html.php wants its own kind of template, and the many versions I've tried that include the marquee script all choke it.

There are tons of programs, scripts, etc. out there to get YOUR OWN content to scroll like this, but IMHO there is nada out there for this. I can't understand why this should be-- given that so many of us try to conserve web page real estate. A small, thin ticker like this with the feed items as clickable links has got to be the most elegant solution for displaying an RSS feed, but there are no solutions that I can find. I'm even willing to buy, and did buy one, but it turned out to be loaded with bugs.

If anyone has gotten this script to actually work with some XML feed parser I would love to know about it.

Thanks so much.

Clair

EL LEBOWSKI GRANDE
07-08-2007, 05:12 AM
ditto your need for a scrolling marque rss display.. ive tried a couple different methods but as yet have failed to get anything to work... looks like i will be stuck manually updating a text file for now... if anyone out there knows of a solution please share