PDA

View Full Version : Swiss Army image slideshow: space between show and buttons

courtney
04-17-2007, 04:41 PM
1) Script Title: Swiss Army image slideshow

2) Script URL (on DD): http://www.dynamicdrive.com/dynamicindex14/swissarmy/index.htm

3) Describe problem: Hello all. I've decided to use this script so I can have the control buttons, but there's a pretty big space between the buttons and pictures. How do I get rid of that? Or make it smaller? I tried a suggestion on another thread where the person wanted to add more space, by adding a style and a margin of 10px (I did a margin of 0px). But that didn't do anything.

I'll keep working on it, but if anyone knows how to get rid of that space, I'd love the help!

Thanks!

p.s. while I'm here, is there a limit on how many images I can/should add to the slideshow?

jscheuer1
04-17-2007, 07:02 PM
No real limit on the number of images used in the show(s). However, images in the show are similar to images on a page, the bigger (byte size) each is and the more there are, the slower things will go, especially for dial up users. The Swiss Army slide show does incremental loading of images so, that actually helps out where the number of images is concerned but, if the images are still large (byte size), it will slow things down for any user who cannot relatively quickly cache any given image.

About your other question, you can use a negative margin in style but, before you go there, try the no_added_linebreaks property for the array, ex:

var slides=[]; //FIRST SLIDESHOW
//configure the below images and descriptions to your own.
slides[0] = ["photo1.jpg", "Kissing Fools"];
slides[1] = ["photo2.jpg", "Seated Woman"];
slides[2] = ["photo3.jpg", "The Dog Lovers"];
slides[3] = ["photo4.jpg", "Standing Woman"];
slides[4] = ["photo5.jpg", "John, Mary and Jesus"];
slides.no_added_linebreaks=1;

courtney
04-17-2007, 07:06 PM
ok, it looks like the big gap is because i'm not using captions. (i'm using slideshow #1, by the way) so, how do i get that caption space out of there?

jscheuer1
04-17-2007, 07:32 PM
var slides=[]; //FIRST SLIDESHOW
//configure the below images and descriptions to your own.
slides[0] = ["photo1.jpg", ""];
slides[1] = ["photo2.jpg", ""];
slides[2] = ["photo3.jpg", ""];
slides[3] = ["photo4.jpg", ""];
slides[4] = ["photo5.jpg", ""];
slides.no_descriptions=1;

At this point you may or may not want to still be using:

Experiment!

Note: That will take care of that but, you should also read the section:

Configuration Options

on the demo page for any other array properties you may want to use. They are what make the slide shows created with this script so versatile.

courtney
04-17-2007, 07:39 PM
sorry about that. i must have been typing my last post while you posted yours.

i tried the no-linebreaks thing, and it worked!

thank you very much!

courtney
04-17-2007, 08:22 PM
thanks, John. I did the no-description thing instead, and it worked!