PDA

View Full Version : Send an e-mail to a POP3 E-Mail account

tech_support
04-14-2007, 05:31 AM
How would I send e-mails through a POP3 E-Mail account?
Specifically, G-Mail.

pcbrainbuster
04-14-2007, 05:37 AM
Can I please be informed on what POP3 is and some other stuff related to e-mail...

tech_support
04-14-2007, 05:41 AM
Pfffffffft!

Look it up on Google or Wikipedia.

pcbrainbuster
04-14-2007, 05:45 AM
Yeah but doing that in something related to something like email usually results in two much information that does not get to the point which is why I asked you...

tech_support
04-14-2007, 05:58 AM
You can't understand this?

Short for Post Office Protocol, a protocol used to retrieve e-mail from a mail server. Most e-mail applications (sometimes called an e-mail client) use the POP protocol, although some can use the newer IMAP (Internet Message Access Protocol).

djr33
04-14-2007, 08:17 AM
For the original question--

...you can't.
You would need to write a program that logs onto gmail, etc. Have fun.

You can actually specify any from or reply-to email address, but that's phishing. I don't recommend it. If you're just sending from your own email, then that seems reasonable.

tech_support
04-14-2007, 09:02 AM
G-Mail allows POP3 access.

djr33
04-14-2007, 10:20 AM
Well... yeah.
But this is in the PHP section.

PHP can't just go and access pop3... I don't think, anyway.
Maybe there's an extension.

tech_support
04-14-2007, 10:25 AM
Well, according to this: http://au2.php.net/imap
It is.

But I just don't know how to use it :p

djr33
04-14-2007, 11:07 AM
No. From what I understand that allows you to operate an email server on your computer.
You could access you@yoursite.com, not you@gmail.com

Now... perhaps there would be a way to configure the email server to use the specifications provided by google's pop3 access methods, but I really don't know.

Anyway... why?

As I said... just use the from and reply-to headers to manually input your email, then it'll work like that.

mburt
04-14-2007, 11:44 AM
You could access you@yoursite.com, not you@gmail.com
Most of the time you're allowed to edit the address that the e-mails are sent to...

thetestingsite
04-14-2007, 02:25 PM
IMAP is a completely different protocol than POP3. However, you would be able to log into your POP3 account if their server had IMAP enabled. Otherwise, you will not be able to do it. If IMAP is enabled; though, you may want to look at the imap functions on php.net.

Hope this helps.

//EDIT: Although I recommend doing what djr33 suggested. It would probably be a lot more reliable. (Also, keep in mind that if IMAP is enabled; but on a different port other than 143, then the imap functions will not work properly.)

tech_support
04-15-2007, 06:11 AM
Thanks.
I'll look into configuring my server soon.

tech_support
04-17-2007, 10:27 AM
Ok. I ended up setting my own e-mail server with hMailServer or something.
It supports SMTP.

Now, how do I set the mail() function?

thetestingsite
04-17-2007, 12:29 PM
In your php.ini file, look for "Mail Settings", you'll see 2 things (if you are on windows) SMTP Server, and SMTP Port (or something similar). The server should be set as localhost (or the address of your server) and the port should be 25 (or the port of your server).

Hope this helps.

//EDIT: Also in hMailServer, you will have to play with the configuration a little to get PHP to send emails through it.

tech_support
04-18-2007, 07:49 AM
//EDIT: Also in hMailServer, you will have to play with the configuration a little to get PHP to send emails through it.

How would I configure that?

thetestingsite
04-18-2007, 02:19 PM
Well, in the hMailAdmin program look under the heading "SMTP". Beneath that there is aother heading that says (I think) "IP Homes". Click on "My Computer" and you will see some checkboxes for you to limit who can/cannot send through your server. Same with "Internet".

//EDIT: For the settings I mentioned above (the IP Homes thing) is actually under these heading: "Settings" => "Advanced" => "IP Ranges" => "My Computer" or "Internet".
You will then see the checkboxes underneath the heading "Allow Deliveries from:".

Hope this helps.

tech_support
04-19-2007, 02:40 AM
Thanks.
I've got the e-mail setup and I can recieve and send e-mails to myself. But I can't send e-mails to other people.

I've tried doing Settings>Advanced>IP Ranges>Internet and deselected both options for "Require Authentication for deliveries" but it keeps on adding to the queue.

thetestingsite
04-19-2007, 02:42 AM
What about the options in "Allow Deliveries From" part, did you check all of the items? Also, you need to make sure that you have an MX record set up so others can send mail to you (and in some cases, receive mail from you).

Hope this helps.

tech_support
04-19-2007, 02:56 AM
What about the options in "Allow Deliveries From" part.
They're all ticked.

Also, you need to make sure that you have an MX record set up so others can send mail to you (and in some cases, receive mail from you).

How do I configure that?

thetestingsite
04-19-2007, 03:00 AM
You would need a subdomain name pointing to the IP address of your computer. After which you would need to set up the MX record through your DNS server (whoever runs this will need to do it). If you need an MX record (or subdomain), let me know and I'll set one up for you. All I need from you to do this is the IP address you want the subdomain to point to.