PDA

View Full Version : Trouble with rssbox

mikeperlman
04-08-2007, 12:54 PM
1) Script Title: rssbox

2) Script URL (on DD):http://www.dynamicdrive.com/dynamicindex18/rssdisplaybox/index.htm

3) Describe problem:
I had no problem succeeding in getting demo.htm to work on my website, but I couldn't get it to work on my laptop (OSX intel apache 1.3.33).

The page is dispayed without error but no rss feeds in the boxes. I tested this with Safari and Firefix. Chmod is 777.

Note: I successfully performed the simplepie compatibility test. Also I have worked with Magpie and Carp from my local machine.

Is it possible that relates to using dnat through a router? The url of the web page is http://127.0.0.1/~hays/rssdisplaybox/demo.htm. I replaced one of the RSS feeds with one generated from the laptop - no success either. Could the problem be the Mac's firewall (I disabled it with no luck) or the router's firewall?

Thanks
Mike

ddadmin
04-09-2007, 04:15 AM
It could be an Ajax problem when running the script in localhost. The more important thing is, do things work when the script is uploaded to a public web server (ie: your site)? The URL you cited above is localhost, so we can't test it out.

mikeperlman
04-09-2007, 05:27 AM
Thanks for responding. I understand you can't view a localhost url. I provided it in order to determine if that was the problem.

Can you point me in the direction of AJAX documentation of why it might fail in this scenario? I want to understand how the technology works/fails.

I briefly see the initializing message, so is it possible it is that the refreshing procedures that fail?

Thanks
Mike

ddadmin
04-09-2007, 07:59 AM
There's nothing in the URL that would tell me what the problem might be. FYI I've run this script in localhost on a Windows XP machine, and it works.

Regarding Ajax, since you mentioned you're running the script on a Mac, I thought that could be a possibility. I'm not sure what the subtle differences may be for the same browsers between Windows and Mac. But you didn't answer my question yet- does the script run properly when you upload it to your site?

mikeperlman
04-16-2007, 10:04 AM
Yes the script runs properly on the web site. I have consistently had trouble running AJAX stuff from my machine. This hasn't occurred before.

I set up XAMPP (Apache2) on my macbook and now all the AJAX applications work.