PDA

View Full Version : Ultimate Fade-In Slide Show - Getting Blocked!

Victoria
04-02-2007, 05:47 AM
Ultimate Fade-In Slide Show 1.5

http://www.dynamicdrive.com/dynamicindex14/fadeinslideshow.htm

When I open my page in IE 6.0, I get an message at the top of the page that says "To help protect your security, Internet Explorer has restricted this file from showing active content that could access your computer. Click here for options..."

If you go ahead and click for options, you can allow the blocked content (and the slide show displays as expected), but of course I can't expect my site visitors to do that.

Is there a way to detect this setting, and then display something... such as the first photo in my slide show... so it's not just blank there?

Thanks in advance, Victoria

codeexploiter
04-02-2007, 06:00 AM
It occurs based on your or your users browser settings. If the user's browser doesn't allow active content then they will get this message. This doesn't happen for a user who allows the active content in their browser.

You can't do much about changing your users browser settings (It is not advisable to do so).

Victoria
04-02-2007, 06:25 AM
Thanks Code Exploiter, but I'm not wanting to change their settings, just display an alternative to my slideshow when someone has blocked active content. Is there a way to detect this setting and then display an alternative?

Thanks again.

jscheuer1
04-02-2007, 07:12 AM
First, a little more about the warning:

Unless a user's security is really tight, that only happens locally, as a security measure. As far as IE is concerned, javascript is ActiveX. Click on the bar and click on allow and click on yes. Once your page is live, this will not happen. You can also give your page 'the mark of the web'. That way (in most cases) it will not display the security bar locally either. Put this right after your <html> tag like so:

<html>
<!-- saved from url=(0014)about:internet -->
<!-- this and above comment should be removed for live, non-demo use -->
<head>

But, navigating away from the page to another local page, or including another local page on it via a frame or an iframe can be problematical if said page does not also have 'the mark of the web' on it.

Now, about alternate content. Just use the noscript tag:

<noscript>
Alternate content here
</noscript>

You could also put alternate content in a division and have javascript render its display:none.