PDA

View Full Version : Dynamic-FX Slide-In Menu (v 6.5) All

llama
03-02-2005, 06:04 AM
Dynamic-FX Slide-In Menu (v 6.5) All (http://www.dynamicdrive.com/dynamicindex1/davidmenu.htm)

Hello,

I've been working with this script to put on a web page I maintain having gotten very tired of our old frames interface with .gif buttons. I have it working almost perfectly, except one somewhat minor problem, which is not so minor if I actually want to be able to control all colors on the page from one or two files!

You can see the files I am working with here (http://www.hisbodylife.com/newtest/home.html). The Home, History and Links pages are on the server there, any others are not and will be broken.

History and Links display the menu as I want them to: no underlines, no different colors for "clicked" links. Unfortunately, they do it only by adding this code to the head:

<style type="text/css">
<!--
A.ssmItems:link {color:#FFF9EC;text-decoration:none;}
A.ssmItems:hover {color:#FFF9EC;text-decoration:none;}
A.ssmItems:active {color:#FFF9EC;text-decoration:none;}
A.ssmItems:visited {color:#FFF9EC;text-decoration:none;}
//-->
</style>

If I try to add it to the style.css file, it apparently doesn't read it and uses the default settings for A:link etc, complete with underlines and changing colors. You can see the results of this in the home.html page where the above code is removed from the head. (I tried a different way of adding this to the css file which you can see at stylev2.css, also have tried adding class="ssmItems" to either of the javascript lines in the head)

If this was a small site it wouldn't be an issue. BUT the site is pretty vast and it will be a significant undertaking just adding the menu to all it's pages! (and extra formatting which I am going to do for the lefthand margin once the menu is working properly..) I certainly don't want to have to change 4 lines in every file if I want to change the link color at some time in the future.

Does anyone know why this doesn't work? Is there anything I can do to get it to work???

I don't claim to understand this javascript at all but it seems to me if I knew where, I might be able to add a class= to the write script of the ssm.js file - I've used write scripts elsewhere in the page in a way that seems like a pretty clumsy workaround for a static menu, but oh well :) Could someone who understands it let me know if this would work, and if so where I would add it?

any other help would also be greatly appreciated!

to recap the files available in the above location are:
home.html
history.html
links.html
style.css
stylev2.css
ssm.js
ssmItems.js

llama
03-02-2005, 06:24 AM
also a second question, unrelated. Can I make it "hard" static, in other words stays in exactly the same place, without bouncing a little when I scroll?

ddadmin
03-02-2005, 07:05 PM
Hmmm if it works by directly putting the style sheet on the page (as you have inside CODE below), it should definitely work when put in an external .css file as well. I can't confirm it doesn't on your page, since your CSS file: http://www.hisbodylife.com/style.css doesn't contain these definitions you want.

Regarding your second question, unfortunately no, as changing a menu from absolute to static positioning basically requires rewriting the script in this case.

llama
03-02-2005, 07:30 PM
d'oh - THANK YOU --- I forgot my style sheet was an absolute URL, so no matter how much I changed the copy in the directory all the files were in, it was still reading off the working copy for the whole site!! lol

Ok, time to change some URLs and retest :)