PDA

View Full Version : Images in SwissArmy Slideshow Script won't Publish



tgritt
03-29-2007, 06:29 PM
1) Script Title: Swiss Army Image Slideshow

2) Script URL (on DD): http://www.dynamicdrive.com/dynamicindex14/swissarmy/index.htm

3) Describe problem:

I am self-taught with writing scripts and am still feeling my way around some of the scripts available. The problem I am having is that I have plugged in the SwissArmy Image Slideshow script into one of my web pages (using Microsoft FrontPage).

The script works great in Front Page Preview mode (all the images appear and scroll, just like designed). It works just fine in "Browser Preview" mode; but when I publish the web page (including all associated image files) the page shows up but all the images either do not appear or just the broken link error box shows up.

I have ensured all appropriate files have been promoted to the web server. I have tried renaming the link to be fully qualified, I have tried moving the web page to be in the same folder as the images (even though I don't think this would matter), etc. Nothing will fix the image file links.

Here is the configuration of the image files.
var slides=[]; //FIRST SLIDESHOW
//configure the below images and descriptions to your own.
slides[0] = ["images/DSC01130.jpg", "Image 1"];
slides[1] = ["images/DSC05082.jpg", "Image 2"];
slides[2] = ["images/DSC05087.jpg", "Image 3"];
slides[3] = ["images/DSC05090.jpg", "Image 4"];
slides[4] = ["images/DSC05110.jpg", "Image 5"];

If I need to supply any other portion of the script, please let me know.

Any help or ideas would be extremely appreciated.

Thanks,
tgritt

jscheuer1
03-29-2007, 10:05 PM
Microsoft FrontPage can mangle scripts but, if that is not the problem - case matters on the web. So, if your images are really named:

DSC01130.JPG

or:

dsc01130.jpg

or anything other than the exact way they are listed in the script, they do not exist. To test this out, try navigating to an image by pasting its address into the address bar of the browser.

If the problem is that FP is mangling the script, read this:


Well, you might be able to configure FP so as to allow you to insert code like this without it mangling it so much. Read the manual or Google for help on that. Another alternative, and what I recommend in all cases like this, is to get your page looking like you want using FP but without any scripts. Save a copy of that somewhere to work on later if the need arises. Next open the page in notepad or simple text and add the scripts in according to the installation instructions, including any customization you've added. Never load this version of the page into FP ever again. To preview it locally, use the browser. To upload it, use FTP (preferred) or your host's online uploading tool.

Here is trick I ran across* that should stop FP from changing scripts but, since I do not use FP, I haven't tested it:

In a text editor open the page whose code you wish to preserve.

At the beginning of the section of code you wish to prevent FrontPage from modifying, add the following line of code:


<!--webbot bot="HTMLMarkup" startspan -->

At the end of the code section, add the following line of code:


<!--webbot bot="HTMLMarkup" endspan -->

Save the changes to the file. The next time the file is opened in FrontPage, FrontPage will not attempt to alter the code between the two HTMLMarkup tags. You still need to put the script into the page with a text editor.

*Posted in these forums by usace-lrc and perhaps others.

There could, of course be any number of other problems. If you still need help, please supply a link to your problem page.

tgritt
03-30-2007, 10:49 AM
Thanks for the reply. You hit the nail right on the head. The filename's extension of .jpg was in uppercase and I was specifying lowercase. I made those changes and it works like a charm now!

It's amazing how sometimes the littlest things are so easy to overlook...and cause so many problems.

Thanks again!
tgritt