PDA

View Full Version : Help with Chrome Menu...PLEASE!

CliffhangerTX
03-28-2007, 05:58 AM
I'm trying to use the script found at http://www.dynamicdrive.com/dynamicindex1/chrome/index.htm (The BLUE version...same as used on forums home page) and for the life of me I can't get it to work.

When I do get it to work:
The links all display vertically instead of horizontally
and
Not one of the images for the menu show up
Page I'm trying to do this on is: http://www.DearingDesign.com/Samadi (Temporary location)

Someone please help. I don't know CSS or Javascript so I tried to follow everything to the letter and alter only what I was instructed to. I'm about to pull all my hair out over this!

Before anyone comments on my methods, I know they're archaeic but lack of funds and a decent computer have severely limited me.

bernie
03-28-2007, 04:08 PM
I downloaded your source and pasted it into an htm file then copied this into the folder containing the DD Chrome menu files. It does not work.

Try unzipping the file from DD and extracting to a folder. Copy your htm file to that folder and while having the demo open, copy and paste your menus and url links into the Demo.htm.

The menu-bar should appear horizontally but you have gone vertical. The drop-downs are doing what they are designed to do.

Like you I am also a novice with Java and CSS but the DD menus normally work.

I find the best way is to start with a temp page using the demo menus supplied and then edit into that your structure prior to inserting content. This way you minimize the level of effort.

Hope this helps

Bernie

CliffhangerTX
03-28-2007, 05:53 PM
Thanks for your reply. I'm going to try that, but I did start with the demo.htm first. Copied and pasted the HREF.txt that was in the zip. Maybe I missed something. Crossing fingers. (I really don't even care if the images come thru...if I can just get them to show horizontally and drop down links.

bernie
03-30-2007, 10:15 AM
When you extract the zipfile contents, make sure the use folder names is checked. Sometimes the reference to CSS and js files are in subfolders.

With this chrome menu, the js is in a folder Chromejs and the images are in Chrometheme folders.

If you extract the files all into one folder you will have to adjust the htm and sometime the js for the source of these elements in the folders.

CliffhangerTX
03-30-2007, 11:11 AM
Thanks to both of you for your help. I got it working. :) sometimes it's too plain to see the problem.