PDA

View Full Version : Posting to excel script

Jas
03-24-2007, 06:30 PM
I don't want an Email Post; It's annoying, and the web host does not support frontpage. Is there a another way to go that is similar? I would very much prefer if the info was sent to an Excel file of an RTF.

I am hoping something already exists because I do not plan to learn yet another Language. . .

Thanks!

thetestingsite
03-24-2007, 06:35 PM
I don't want an Email Post; It's annoying, and the web host does not support frontpage.

What do you mean by "Email Post"?

Is there a another way to go that is similar? I would very much prefer if the info was sent to an Excel file of an RTF.

What info do you want to send to an excel file? Does your host support any server side languages as well? You could probably accomplish this by using PHP (or ASP for that matter). Without more details though, that as much as I can help out on this.

Hope this helps.

Jas
03-24-2007, 09:02 PM
Emailing a form, I should have said. ( See http://www.sweets-n-treats.com/Products.htm to see the forms. )

What I want sent to the file is the order info on the forms.

And not to sound rude, but I don't want to have to learn PHP. I am already working on JavaScript, Java and HTML. Is there something already in existence that I can use?

thetestingsite
03-24-2007, 09:07 PM
Well, there are tons of free server side scripts (even some that are remote hosted). Unfortunately (spelling?), without using a server-side language, you will not be able to write to files - although, I'm not sure about Java, that might be capable. You could probably search through these Forums, Hotscripts.com, or Google to find a premade one, or perhaps one of the members of this forum could write one for you.

Hope this helps.

boxxertrumps
03-24-2007, 10:43 PM
You would have to give the applet ftp access to your server, which is a bad idea...

But the first things you need to do are slim down your code...
this doesnt serve a purpose, does it?

<p align="center" style="margin-top: 10; margin-bottom: 10">

You also need to stop using frontpage, learn CSS, validate your pages, validate your css, stop using tables...

For the forms, you wont want to cap the size of the entry, because someone with the name
"Donovan Bailey McPhail" couldnt fit their name in, or someone with a long email or address would have the same problems.
also, using javascript to validate forms is a bad idea, because you can turn it off whenever you want.

I can write up the script for you, i just need some time.

PS: sorry if i sound rude, its just that there are alot of flaws in the way frontpage made the code.

Jas
03-27-2007, 05:22 PM
Thanks everyone!
And, yes I agree. FrontPage has massive coding problems. I don't know about learning CSS. It does not look hard, but I am working on enough as it is.

Yes, this does serve a purpose for now (it holds the Ice Cream picture together).
But I agree, I need to find another way to go about it. . .

A script sounds nice if you have an idea, thanks. You don't have to, though. I just need a script, so if one exists already you don't have to spend your time working on it.