PDA

View Full Version : Best FREE Graphics Program

Rockonmetal
03-18-2007, 03:41 AM
Ok, I am looking for something like Macromedia Fireworks, but without the price. I am really looking for free, (or $1-$10). Its got 2 be cheap and good. PLEASE DON'T SAY PAINT! I DON'T LIKE PAINT!

THANKS ALL

jscheuer1
03-18-2007, 03:42 AM
I hear The Gimp is good and free.

thetestingsite
03-18-2007, 03:43 AM
Try the GIMP (http://www.gimp.org/). (I'm not sure what Macromedia Fireworks is like, so I am not really doing a comparison.)

Either way, hope this helps.

EDIT: Sorry John, cross posted.

tech_support
03-18-2007, 03:44 AM
Paint.net

djr33
03-18-2007, 04:01 AM
I'd definitely recommend photoshop over fireworks. No question.

As for a cheap program, I like paint shop pro by jasc (unless someone has recently bought the company). It's a nice app that have really all the features of photoshop, if you know how to use them, for, I think, under $100. You might also be able to purchase an older version for even less. It's on version 10 or something at this point, but I'm quite happy with my copy of version 5.

Graphics isn't something that can really be done for $1-10, though you can get some free apps.

I've used photoshop a lot (and paint shop pro), and I recently installed GIMP as I didn't have anything on this computer (my laptop) for graphics. I absolutely hate it. Your experience may differe, but I find it incredibly hard to use and figure out, almost as if it were text-command controlled, in its intricate menus that are a pain to navigate. It seems to have all of the options that photoshop does, but they just don't work as well or at least not as intuitively.
It's certainly a great option for free, but if you're gonna do any serious graphics work, you should at some point just accept that it's somewhat expensive to do that type of thing.

Remember also that some limited editions and such are cheaper, without some of the advanced features you may not need. Photoshop Elements is I think $200, and has basically everything you'd need, and you wouldn't know the difference unless you're an advanced photoshop user. In fact, it's actually designed to be more user friendly. (It is kinda a pain to those who know PS well, as it does things automatically at times, but if you're new to it, I'm sure it would be a help.)

ddadmin
03-18-2007, 09:24 AM
Paint.net (http://www.getpaint.net/index2.html) is awesome. Microsoft should ditch its own Paint program and bundle that with its OSes instead. I love the interface, and it's very intuitive. And of course, can't beat free.

Twey
03-18-2007, 09:48 AM
I find it incredibly hard to use and figure out, almost as if it were text-command controlled, in its intricate menus that are a pain to navigate.Interesting, I find roughly the same thing with Photoshop :p
Paint.NET looks very similar to the GIMP, from that screenshot. Also, it's Windows-only (the name lies! It's not .NET-based at all).

DimX
03-18-2007, 10:15 AM
Also, it's Windows-only (the name lies! It's not .NET-based at all).
Umm :confused:, Twey, Paint.NET is based on .NET framework.

Twey
03-18-2007, 11:34 AM
It isn't, it's a native Windows PE (or at least the installer is).

BLiZZaRD
03-18-2007, 01:55 PM
The GIMP for a free version of Fireworks, very similar without the exporting to Flash add ons.

If you don't like the GIMP (some don't) you need PhotoShop, that is all there is too it.

You DON'T want to buy PS ($500+ bucks) BUT you can find deals on ebay if you look hard enough :)

djr33
03-18-2007, 11:19 PM
It may be inexperience with GIMP that makes me dislike it, but I really can't find several options that I use frequently in photoshop.

As an example--

In photoshop, there is a resize too. ...There is on in GIMP too.

In photoshop, if you hold the shift key while resizing, it holds the proportions, so it doesn't distort the image. This is very nice.

GIMP has no such option. Instead, you can guess by dragging then need to go to the numbers and use percents to get it close. Doing this multiple times til it looks right takes a long time and unless you're willing to add in the time it takes to undo this and start the resizing over with each time you get closer (as trial and error is the only way to go with this), you get generation loss on the resizing as well.

And again, remember the PS Elements is only $200, and paint shop pro is only $100 (I think). No need to always jump all the way up to photoshop. But PS is unquestionably the best. The question is just whether it's so crucial to have the best in your individual situation.

As for ebay, look for an older version. I don't much like PS CS (creative suite), the new versions, so I'm quite happy with Photoshop 7, so just look for that. It must be less expensive.

mburt
03-19-2007, 12:01 AM
I have paint.net ... I don't use it. Personally I use Photoshop for "picture" editing. For graphics I would use Adobe Pho* ... Oh yeah. Free. Nevermind :)

boxxertrumps
03-19-2007, 12:24 AM
Umm, under the scale dialouge, you can set the exact width you want of one dimension and it automatically sets the other so that the picture isnt messed up...

djr33
03-19-2007, 01:25 AM
I'm aware of that, but I would like to be able to use the mouse to change it, rather than the numerical inputs, which are a lot less intuitive. Even though I do graphic work, it's still a pain to decide "oh, that space must be 337 pixels wide".

In photoshop, hold shift, drag the corner, and you're done.

tech_support
03-19-2007, 05:36 AM
It isn't, it's a native Windows PE (or at least the installer is).
But you can't install it without installing .net framework 2.0

And I get a 70% discount with my Photoshop :D

killerchutney
03-19-2007, 06:58 PM
PLEASE DON'T SAY PAINT! I DON'T LIKE PAINT!

Does anyone? :) I hate that aliasy piece of %$!

Try out photofiltre http://www.photofiltre.com/

Its free, but does not match fireworks or PS.

Rockonmetal
03-25-2007, 10:15 PM
I can't remember who, but someone said Paint.Net. VERY VERY GOOD! I LIKE IT! Its very cool. Microsoft should just use this. LOOKS VERY PROFESSIONAL! I LIKE IT VERY VERY VERY VERY MUCH

Just search paint.net on google.
http://www.google.com

thetestingsite
03-26-2007, 02:44 AM
Just search paint.net on google.
http://www.google.com

or use the link that ddadmin posted in this post:

Paint.net (http://www.getpaint.net/index2.html) is awesome. Microsoft should ditch its own Paint program and bundle that with its OSes instead. I love the interface, and it's very intuitive. And of course, can't beat free.

shachi
03-26-2007, 03:16 PM
It may be inexperience with GIMP that makes me dislike it, but I really can't find several options that I use frequently in photoshop.

In photoshop, if you hold the shift key while resizing, it holds the proportions, so it doesn't distort the image. This is very nice.

GIMP has no such option. Instead, you can guess by dragging then need to go to the numbers and use percents to get it close. Doing this multiple times til it looks right takes a long time and unless you're willing to add in the time it takes to undo this and start the resizing over with each time you get closer (as trial and error is the only way to go with this), you get generation loss on the resizing as well.

You must be kidding me. Tell me you are.

You can do almost everything in gimp that you can do in photoshop. You can proportionally resize any image too. You should get a gimp tutorial. :p

djr33
03-27-2007, 02:42 AM
Tell me how to do that, then, WITH THE MOUSE.

I know you can type in numbers, but using the mouse to do that is not possible from what I can tell, making it rather annoying to resize, 'cause typing numbers over and over again to guess how large it should be is quite tiring.

shachi
03-27-2007, 03:29 PM
drj33: choose the resizing tool, and choose the Keep Aspect option from the tool options.

Screenshot:

http://img160.imageshack.us/img160/3153/gimpcj9.png

Hope that helps. :D

djr33
03-28-2007, 06:59 AM
Hmm... interesting. I still prefer control from the keyboard using shift. Easy to switch back and forth.

GIMP may have the capabilities, then, though I doubt in some ways-- actions? all of the filters? all of the adjustment controls? (Heh... I won't believe that til you show me.)

However, it's still not very easy to figure out for me, and doesn't seem to run correctly on my system... various little bugs, etc.