View Full Version : How to do zooming

03-15-2007, 03:18 AM

Does anyone know how to do zooming?

I have a drop down list called zoom as shown below.

<td style="text-align: center; width: 135px;"><small>Zoom:</small>
<select name="zoom">
<option value="all" selected="selected">All</option>
<option value="20">20%</option>
<option value="100">100%</option>
<option value="200">200%</option>

Appreciate if someone can show me example of code.

03-15-2007, 03:26 AM
Zooming for what; an image, text, etc? If for text, then I don't know of anyway to do this outside of IE (Internet Explorer). If for an image, perhaps Javascript can do it, but not sure how.

Hope this helps either way.

03-15-2007, 04:42 AM
Agreed. I've never seen zooming on a webpage, except as a default in the right click menu of a flash object, or with a couple cases of a javascript that allows a selected region of a small image to be blown up into a larger region just showing a higher resolution version of that section.

03-15-2007, 09:39 PM
What's 'All' mean? Zooming cannot actually be done but, it can be mimicked if all dimensions and font-sizes on a web page are set in ems, exs, and/or percentages. This takes some planning and trial and error, only percentages should be used for font-sizes and generally ems or exs for dimensions but, once set up that way, changing one or a few key percentages should be able 'zoom' the page.

If there is flash or other non-HTML content, that may have to be handled separately.

One exception to all of this is IE which does have a zoom style property for HTML content at least.