PDA

View Full Version : Reversing Animation Using A Function

tomyknoker
03-11-2007, 11:19 PM
Hi all,

I have an mc which when rollOver plays an animation (works like a button), on rollOut I want the animation to play in reverse... I have seen it done before using a fucntion, but can't seem to get it to work... If I just reverse all the frames and get it to play that on rollOut it doesn't work properly...

Medyman
03-11-2007, 11:27 PM
I saw these on the Flash Groups forum a long time ago and have saved it as it comes in handy.

I'm posting the whole lot as it might be of use to someone who is searching for a similar effect.

//will stop 'play', 'gotoAndPlay' and 'rewind', 'gotoAndRewind' functions
MovieClip.prototype.stopAll = function () {
delete this.onEnterFrame;
this.stop();
}

//will stop 'rewind', 'gotoAndRewind' functions
MovieClip.prototype.stopRewind = function () {
}

//will play the timeline backwards and continal to loop until 'stopAll', 'stopRewind' or 'pause' are called
//note: the 'rewind' function will cancel the 'play' function BUT the 'play' function will not cancel the 'rewind' function
//you must call 'stopAll' or 'stopRewind' before using 'play' when your timeline is playing backwards
MovieClip.prototype.rewind = function () {
this.stop();
this.onEnterFrame = function () {
if (this._currentframe > 0) {
this.prevFrame ();
} else {
this.gotoAndStop (this._totalframes);
}
}
}

//will goto the specified frame and play the timeline backwards and continal to loop until 'stopAll', 'stopRewind' or 'pause' are called
MovieClip.prototype.gotoAndRewind = function (frame) {
this.gotoAndStop (frame);
this.rewind();
}

//will pause the timeline for the specified amount of time. will always play forwards when the pause has finished
MovieClip.prototype.pause = function (time) {
secondsToPause = time;
pauseInt = setInterval (this, "restart", secondsToPause * 1000);
}

restart = function () {
clearInterval (pauseInt);
play();
}

Sample Below:

tomyknoker
03-11-2007, 11:30 PM
Medyman looks like exactly what I need, but the code is a bit over my head, not sure what bit's to use... Any ideas?

Medyman
03-11-2007, 11:45 PM
Have you taken a look at the sample file?
That might give you more insight.

I'll walk you through what was done in the sample file:

consider: a simple buttons which controls the direction that the timeline plays. (This can of course be changed to onRollOver/Out as you wish).

So the timeline contains 3 layers:
Layer 3: Animation
Layer 2: Button
Layer 1: Actions (Locked)

On the button, you'll start out with this basic AS:

on(release)
{
play();
}

Then copy and paste the entire code snippet I've posted in the 1st frame of your actions layer.

Also include this on the same frame:

var direction = "fw";
stop();

Then just attach the following code to your button, and you're good to go:

on(release)
{
if(direction=="fw")
{
stopAll();
play();
direction = "bk";
}
else
{
rewind();
direction = "fw";
}
}

BLiZZaRD
03-13-2007, 12:14 AM
Just be careful not to mix this with too many MCs.

I LOVE the _prototype functionality, but it will effect EVERY instance of said MCs, meaning if you have 4 buttons and you only want 2 to have rewind capabilities, you will need to either set up a second prototype function, or define the differences on the buttons you don't want to use the functions.

Think of it as a htaccess on a folder, it effects everything in that folder, and every sub folder inside. You will have to specifically write another htaccess telling the subfolder to basically ignore the first one.

For a Flash example take a look at this:

game.TileClass = function () {};
game.TileClass.prototype.walkable=false;
game.TileClass.prototype.frame=2

Here I am telling my game that every tile within the game.TileClass group that it should show frame 2 of the title MC AND that it is NOT walkable.

But, what fun would a game be where every tile looked the same and you couldn't walk around?

Instead of making 4 million MCs with tiles, this one walkable, this one not, this one grass, this one dirt.. I just change the prototype functionality like so:

game.Tile0.prototype.__proto__ = game.TileClass.prototype;
game.Tile0.prototype.walkable=true;
game.Tile0.prototype.frame=1;

Now, when ever I want frame 1 of the MC to appear on my map, I put a "0" there, this tile will show frame 1 of the tile MC and it will be walkable.

Much easier to define the differences than to code for each tile :)