PDA

View Full Version : Favicon problem

techmom
03-10-2007, 02:19 AM
Last week I added a few favicons to my site. When they were downloaded, they came back with a code in the favicon name and they worked fine.
Now when I upload an image, and download it, it is saved as just favicon.ico
The previous ones were something like: favicon6GH3456.ico
Now I can't get any of them to work with the generic name. I am uploading them the same way, to my public_html folder and insert the code into my head.
What is wrong:
Here is one site trying to add the code:
www.atlanticequinesaleco.com

thetestingsite
03-10-2007, 02:35 AM
I don't see a problem with it, it appears you have an image of a horse as the favicon. Is it suppose to be something different?

djr33
03-10-2007, 03:34 AM
Oddly, internet explorer can take up to 72 hours for the favicon to take effect. Try it with Firefox or another browser, or wait 72 hours to check if it worked, perhaps.

thetestingsite
03-10-2007, 03:42 AM
Ah yes, I tested in FF (different versions) on Win XP (Home and Pro). Didn't test in IE, but pretty sure if it is not there right now, it will be after some time (due to the browser's caching of favicons system).

jscheuer1
03-10-2007, 04:23 AM
Where did you pull 72 hours out of? The simple truth is that support for favicon in IE 6 is atrocious. Favicons will come and go in that browser with no rhyme or reason. I had hoped that would be fixed in IE 7 but, in my experience, though it is much better, it still can come and go for no apparent reason.

djr33
03-10-2007, 06:58 AM
I have no clue about 72 hours. I'm pretty sure that I've seen that here as an answer in threads though.
Perhaps it was "3 days" or "about 3 days".... perhaps it's a caching issue?

EDIT: Here's at least one source:
http://www.dynamicdrive.com/forums/showpost.php?p=77766&postcount=6

jscheuer1
03-10-2007, 07:43 AM
I'll leave it up to you to press BLiZZaRD on that claim. I hadn't read that thread and see no reason to get involved in it at the moment. Bottom line:

IE 6 - good luck with it, you'll need it.

IE 7 - usually works well, but it can cut out for no apparent reason.

techmom
03-10-2007, 01:43 PM
I still don't see it. The only way I can see the favicons I've used is when they are downloaded with a code after the name such as:faviconCA1QDWLL.ico I didn't give them this code, this is the way they were downloaded. (now I just download them as generic and I can't see them)
and my link in the head says: <link rel="shortcut icon" href="/faviconCA1QDWLL.ico" />
When they have that code, they were perfectly. What is going on?
thanks,
Lisa
www.horsefarmandranch.com is the site that works.

jscheuer1
03-10-2007, 02:20 PM
Favicon support is weak in some browsers so, if you are worried about it, don't be. It is just a little something extra, non-essential. If you find a method of displaying the favicon of your choice in your target browsers, go for it. There is no reason why you cannot use the longer filename, if that works for you.

thetestingsite
03-10-2007, 02:29 PM
Either way, it works fine for me in IE7 on Win XP (Home and Pro), as well as FF 2.0.0.1 and 2.0.0.2 same OS.

BLiZZaRD
03-10-2007, 02:42 PM
This Link (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Favicon) will show you (under Guidelines) what you should be doing to ensure the favicon appears.

Also this article tells about standardization and why IE has such a problem with the item THEY created. (for John)

Also techmom.. check your icon appearance in IE. Try it both WITH and WITHOUT the www in the address bar. One reported IE bug was that with the www the favicon didn't appear, but showed just fine without the www.

Also note that the icon is a stored and cached thing. If you clear your cache daily it will never get stored. To by pass this all you have to do is add the page to your favorites/bookmarks. This will store the icon with the page in the favorites directory. (which was the original design idea anyway, to replace the favorites folder in IE with icons instead of text links... it failed)

As far as the "72 hour" thing goes... when the not appearing bug was reported a couple years ago MS answered back with a propagation issue on the linking of favicons. In their bug report (checked fixed and then disappeared) MS set the 72 hour wait... personally I think it was just to buy them more time, but I have seen my icons appear in IE after about 60 hours, so maybe there is something to it after all...

<edit> The reason your downloaded icons had extra characters in the file name was because they can't name all the icons "favicon.ico" So they gave them distinct names so the site would display them for you to download. There should have been instructions on the page to rename them, this is why :) </edit>

techno_race
03-10-2007, 02:46 PM
IE7 does work well.

jscheuer1
03-10-2007, 06:00 PM
Also this article tells about standardization and why IE has such a problem with the item THEY created. (for John)

Wikipedia is very nice (and the article you linked is good) but, not truly an authority on anything. The problems in IE 6 go far deeper than those mentioned in the article. They involve the ways in which favicons are cached for later use. The routines for this must have been written by various people who never communicated with each other and include but, are not necessarily limited to caching the icon for a site and caching it for history and for favorites. These three avenues for caching often come into conflict with each other resulting in no favicon being displayed in that browser.

In my limited experience it seems this has been vastly improved in IE 7, although not entirely overcome.

BLiZZaRD
03-10-2007, 06:24 PM
Yes, and I don't often quote wikipedia as a resource, but the MS knowledgebase reports and bug reports for this issue have long been deleted, or I would have quoted those.

The wiki article, though, said pretty much the same thing.

techmom
03-10-2007, 10:19 PM
I still don't see it. However, I never gave the long name to the favicons. That happened after I uploaded them to the favicon tool and then when I downloaded it, it came back as that long name. They worked perfectly.
With the generic name I can't see them. I have IE 7 and cannot see it at all. I can see other peoples, but not the one I just uploaded.
Anything I can do in IE to view it?
thanks

djr33
03-10-2007, 10:53 PM
Fine on FF 1.5 pc here.

jscheuer1
03-11-2007, 04:36 AM
I still don't see it. However, I never gave the long name to the favicons. That happened after I uploaded them to the favicon tool and then when I downloaded it, it came back as that long name. They worked perfectly.
With the generic name I can't see them. I have IE 7 and cannot see it at all. I can see other peoples, but not the one I just uploaded.
Anything I can do in IE to view it?
thanks

I've found, quite by accident, that choosing:

Tools > Internet Options > General (tab) > Delete.... (button under Browsing history)

Then choosing Delete all.... (button at the bottom)

Can restore the proper function of favicons. But, I stress can, it may not. It will also delete any stored passwords you might have so, if you have any stored passwords, be aware these will be lost along with recent browser history and stored form data. This is not to mention cached pages and images as well as cookies. These last three aren't usually anything to worry about. None of it really is except in specific circumstances. If you decide to pursue this course, take a few minutes to think about it first - will losing any of this stuff matter?

techmom
03-11-2007, 07:51 PM
Just wanted to let everyone that has helped me that I can see my favicon almost instantly after I delete all my history files, temp files, cookies.
You can also name them anything you want and they work such as favico123.ico and it works. Just make sure you rename the file you insert into your heading. I use IE 7 and it worked instantly. Just delete those files after you close your pages down first.
Good luck and thanks for everyone that helped me