PDA

View Full Version : Pausing RSS Scroller

batfan
03-08-2007, 05:03 PM
1) Script Title: Pausing RSS Scroller

2) Script URL (on DD): http://www.dynamicdrive.com/dynamicindex17/rsspausescroller/index.htm

3) Describe problem: This script is exactly what I am looking for. However, there is one problem I have. The RSS feed(s) is specified in the PHP file. I have a site where depending on the page you select, there will be an RSS with news about that particular item. I do not want all of the feeds to be displayed on all pages. The only way I can see to do this, at this point, is to create multiple copies of the PHP file. Is there anyway (without completely recoding the script) to make it so that the feed is specified in the Javascript? Making the content specific to the page you are on?

Thanks for any assistance with this.

ddadmin
03-10-2007, 01:27 AM
There's actually a reason the RSS feeds are defined inside the PHP file, as this is for security reasons. Since this script can be put on any webpage, including on other people's sites, you don't want to allow other webmasters a way to serve up their own RSS feed- even potentially a malicious one- using this script and your server resources (backend PHP).

The file that needs to be duplicated at this point is scrollerbridge.php, which is actually pretty small. If you're familiar with PHP I'm sure you can abstract that file further, so only a portion of it needs to be duplicated for each page.