PDA

View Full Version : Client side form submission - field order

thompa
03-07-2007, 03:15 PM
Hi there,
Because my web space provider doesn't have server side scripts that I can use for form responses from a web form, I am stuck with submission using email from the client computer.
However this isn't a problem yet as the form is a result sheet for a tennis league and all of the team captains have email....
When the form is 'sent' all of the fields are included in the email.
Is it possible to re-arrange the field order so that scores and names appear together on the email?
I haven't reached the stage where I need to automatically read the data from emails into a spreadsheet yet... but if anyone has any information on this... I would be very pleased!
Allan

jscheuer1
03-09-2007, 05:30 AM
Most likely this could be done via javascript - adding in the process another layer of client dependency. Now, not only must the user have an email client enabled, they must also have javascript enabled. Couldn't you just arrange the form so that the data would be formatted as desired in the first place?

thompa
03-10-2007, 12:43 PM
Hi John,

Thanks for your post.
The 'form' that needs to be emailed is a tennis match scorecard, which needs to be as close to the printed version as possible.
There are three doubles pairs in each team and they each play each other - that is nine rubbers each with a possible three sets.... that makes a form with 54 inputs.. just for the scores.
I know the problem of having a mail client - but all of the captains have an email client on their machine... and the issue of Javascript enabling will be broached with them.
Allan

Blake
03-10-2007, 02:46 PM
Why not find a free hosting service that supports php, and put a php script there to submit the form?