PDA

View Full Version : Is this possible without a server??

Rockonmetal
03-03-2007, 06:52 PM
Ok. I am looking for a script that check from an external file (XML file) to see if that property is already taken. I know some websites have something along the lines but, I bet it is server code. I really don't want to put server code into my pages but if its the only way. I have to.
Here is the form peice:

<br>Desired Username: <input type="text" name="Username" class="text"><br>
-||- You may pick a username that might not work, even after you send it. We are sorry for any inconvieniance this may

cause. -||-
<br><input type="button" value="Check" class="text">
I want the check button to actually check to see if the username is already been used.

It would also be an added bonus if the username they desire is not already taken it says "Username is not taken, go ahead". If it is "We are sorry to say. But, your requested username has been taken"

Thanks, for reading.

The peice of code it is looking for in the XML file is:
<Username>What the viewer wants his/her username to be</Username>

mburt
03-04-2007, 05:31 PM
I want the check button to actually check to see if the username is already been used.
This will definitely require server-side scripting, and most-likely a database.

Rockonmetal
03-04-2007, 07:52 PM
Details? Is there ANY possible way to do this without server script. Could Flash do it?

psilos
03-05-2007, 08:02 AM
Hello Rockonmetal,

As i know you can achieve XML reading and manipulation with ActionSctipt (Flash).

And i think u can do the same with ajax.

Unfrotunately i don't have such script...
Keep Googling..

Rockonmetal
03-05-2007, 11:37 AM
Thanks, Only if I could get someone to do it...

I ran out of my trial program on flash yesterday. Really not happy.

psilos
03-05-2007, 02:36 PM
So this is one good reason to learn Ajax..
It's absolutely free!!

Here is one good resource for Ajax : Click me (http://www.maxkiesler.com/index.php/weblog/comments/round_up_of_30_ajax_tutorials/)

Good Luck.

djr33
03-05-2007, 07:10 PM
Theoretically possible with flash, perhaps, but the 'right' way would be to use php and mysql or another serverside script and a database.

Rockonmetal
03-06-2007, 05:39 PM
Ok
psilios, i was wondering what is the code to do it with AJAX??

But also what is AJAX????