PDA

View Full Version : Need An Opinion On How/Why This Was Done

tomyknoker
03-01-2007, 04:48 AM
Hi all,

I have ben lumped with a site which has a MySQL database on the backend. User's can sign up and view there details and all that, they can edit there information... This is all done in PHP pages. There is also a maintenance side to the site where the owners can login and see all the users, download information, email certain users... This is all in ASPX pages... To me that's strange... Is this common practice? Or would it mean it's been passed onto other programmers who felt aspx was better? Just an opinion would be awsome! I am familiar with PHP but am now a little freaked out as have no ASPX expereince... And the ASPX pages are the ones which need to be edited... Are they similar?

P.S. I have been able to login to the MySQL DB using PHP MyAdmin, does this mean I wouldn't be seeing any ASPX info? Would the clients login be on another DB somewhere?

Twey
03-01-2007, 03:59 PM
Is this common practice?No.
Or would it mean it's been passed onto other programmers who felt aspx was better?Most likely, or programmers who didn't know PHP.
I am familiar with PHP but am now a little freaked out as have no ASPX expereince... And the ASPX pages are the ones which need to be edited... Are they similar?ASPX can be written in any language that compiles to CIL, I believe. It's a standard rather than a single language. However, almost any programming language of the same paradigm are comprehensible to someone familiar with another such language. The worst-case scenario is that you'll have to build those parts from scratch in PHP, just using the ASPX pages as reference.
P.S. I have been able to login to the MySQL DB using PHP MyAdmin, does this mean I wouldn't be seeing any ASPX info? Would the clients login be on another DB somewhere?Unlikely. It's quite possible for the ASPX pages to use the same database, and I see no reason why this wouldn't be the case.