PDA

View Full Version : Movable elements on page

bostonkakke
02-26-2007, 03:29 PM
How can I make movable elements on a page that any visitors can move (rearrange) and the changes will be reflected in another visitor's visit?

So this will be a "live" constantly changing list. For example, I go to the site, arrange the list to my liking, you log on later to see my order, reorder it to your liking, I am able to see what you've done with the list even later on.

Should this be done in Flash? I would like the user to click and drag elements to sort the list.

Thank you.

Blake
02-26-2007, 04:30 PM
The user interface could probably be done in Flash. However, at least part of it will need to be server side. You'll need to store the ordering in a database, and retrieve it every time the page is loaded.

shachi
02-26-2007, 04:36 PM
Why even bother to use flash? It can be done with plain javascript and css with some XMLHttpRequest magic(optionally).

Blake
02-26-2007, 04:46 PM
Why even bother to use flash? It can be done with plain javascript and css with some XMLHttpRequest magic(optionally).

I agree, I would opt for Javascript, but it probably could be done in Flash.

bostonkakke
02-26-2007, 04:46 PM
Thanks guys for the replies.

I like the use of Flash for its "visual" and fun factor. I'd like my site to be very graphical and user interactive. Hence the click and drag, without say, you checking boxes to reorder, then hitting a submit button. I want the user experience and interaction to be the priority. With simplicity and fun up there as well.

So what would be the best way to implement this interface alongside Flash?

what are some problems do you foresee with these type of interfaces? How about when dozens of visitors are reordering the list simultaneously?

shachi
02-27-2007, 11:49 AM
Here are the advantages of using flash:

i. Extreme ease for creating the interface
ii. Little scripting needed
iii. Customizable elements

And of course, here are the disadvantages:

i. Not all users have flash installed so all users will not see your "interactivity"
ii. Flash-apps sometime takes ages to load

But still, I'd recommend you not to use flash until extremely needed but it's just your choice feel free to do what you want.

codeexploiter
02-27-2007, 12:31 PM
Yahoo UI library supports Drag & Drop component using which you can have draggable items in your web page.

Check this demo (http://developer.yahoo.com/yui/examples/dragdrop/index.html)

bostonkakke
02-27-2007, 07:34 PM
Very cool!!
That "sorting list" is exactly what I had in mind.

I found the equivalent at codes.google.com

Anyone have experience using YUI or Google's version?? Which would be easier for a newbie web designer dabbling in web programming?

Also, as I have mentioned, I need the sorted changes to be "saved" so that other visitors can also sort and/or view the current order. How would this be done??

thanks again for the ideas guys... :p

shachi
03-01-2007, 04:01 PM
bostonkakke: Remember the "XMLHttpRequest magic" part?

1Riptide
06-15-2007, 05:34 PM
Why even bother with flash? (why not reinvent the wheel?)

Saw this post, and I feel complelled to set the record straight.
First off, I know both javscript and actionscript/flash well. very well.

Now for my statement:

you can do anything with flash that you can do with javascript. Anything - and much, much more. The reverse is not true.

Ajax, DHTML, Flex, Ruby, and others are getting closer - but in the end, imho these technologies are really trying to emulate what flash/actionscript does already (in the right hands). I find that funny.

Regarding flash player install statistics:

Flash player 7 is on 98% of browsers in the US (and pretty close to the number globally), so complaints about the presense of flash are purdy much moot, but you will always get this coplaint from people who dont know flash - and in my experience are kinda threatend by it. ref: http://www.adobe.com/products/player_census/flashplayer/version_penetration.html

If there are load time problems - fire your flash developer. Its very easy to do flash wrong - which is probably the worst thing about it as a medium.

That said javascript can do alot, and there are many more developers in the talent pool that are good with js than there are with as.

Thats my two cents anyway.

To the Gods of JS, forgive me for my blasphemy - but the "emperor has no clothes". There, I said it.

AdrielG
11-23-2008, 07:36 PM
http://elvenstarnet.earthdefensefederation.org/test/drag.htm

The above site page is what I'm working on but i need a way to set the elements per user..a cookie or something maybe?

or maybe a cookie that will not reset the elements back to the upper left corner..

Any help?

Medyman
11-23-2008, 08:45 PM
As always, I'll advocate for jQuery here.

Check out this demo (http://ui.jquery.com/repository/real-world/layout/).

AdrielG
11-24-2008, 03:13 AM
As always, I'll advocate for jQuery here.

Check out this demo (http://ui.jquery.com/repository/real-world/layout/).

This is basically the same thing I have but you have <div> boxs..I'm wanting them to remain in the position the last user left them and not reset back to default placement.

Kind of like IMVU does with their stickers panels....

I dont know if this is possible or not.