PDA

View Full Version : Which Server Script is the Easiest?

Rockonmetal
02-23-2007, 07:58 PM
Ok, I am looking to set up a small test site so I can get my way around the easiest server script.
I heard of these three:
PHP
ASP
SQL
CGI

Which one is the easiest?
Do I need anything to view these (if so please list a link directly to the thing I need to download)? Do I need to use a certain program (other than notepad)

Keep in mind this site is not going up on the web. I am just making one to learn my ways around server scripting.

BLiZZaRD
02-23-2007, 08:32 PM
I don't know about ASP, never used it. From what I know about it, it is a Windows Server scripting language and I always use Linux Servers.

from your list, php is probably the easiest to learn, mixed with sql both can be grasped in a few days to a few weeks.

CGI/PERL is a fairly different beast, and needs other restrictions (where to upload etc)

this link (http://www.php-mysql-tutorial.com/) is pretty descent but not to overly in depth or complicated.

and PHP Net (http://www.php.net/) could be considered the "Defacto" about php standards.

djr33
02-23-2007, 08:46 PM
If you're just starting off, go with PHP.
CGI is more complex, and... complicated in use, as said above.

ASP is the 'same' as PHP, but proprietary and only runs on windows, doesn't have as much support/free addins/etc. It's fine... just... no advantage over PHP, and some things aren't great about it... so... no point, really.

SQL, MySQL, etc. are used with PHP, ASP, etc. and are databases that just store info and allow for basic commands, like searching, adding, deleting, etc. PHP/etc is then used to get the info from it and do stuff with it... like displaying it.

I'd recommend MySQL and PHP, but play with PHP first, then get into MySQL when/if you need a database.

Here's a good resource. It starts with php basics (good to do), then gets into MySQL, so no need to do that until you're ready.
http://php-mysql-tutorial.com

Additionally, php.net is a great place for info on PHP, though a bit less user friendly. The function search is wonderful for looking up a certain function, though overall documentation is a little harder to work your way through.

BLiZZaRD
02-23-2007, 08:49 PM
Thanks for linking to the same sites as I did... never know... just in case :p

Twey
02-23-2007, 08:49 PM
CGI is an interface, not a language.

The easiest of those is probably ASP, but it lacks a great deal of PHP's flexibility and power. PHP is not much trickier to master, and will serve you much better.

I'm particularly enjoying my experiences with Python and Django at the moment, although that would perhaps not be so desirable for a beginner. Something to think about when you've gained some experience, maybe.

djr33
02-23-2007, 08:55 PM
Ha, sorry, BLiZZaRD.

I didn't notice the URL on the first; I assumed it to be a link to an overall explanation of CGI and such :p

I noticed you did php.net, but I just wanted to expand on how it can be used. It IS daunting at first if you're not familiar with PHP.

BLiZZaRD
02-23-2007, 08:56 PM
I see you are attempting to learn python Twey.. that is cool, I too one day hope to be able to take it on.

However, I thought you might like The Python Challenge (http://www.pythonchallenge.com/)

If you have seen my site (and I know you have :p) it is the same concept, a riddle trail of sorts (this one only 33 levels) but this one deals with the Python Language.

I have heard it is quite well done. Anyway thought you might like to have a look at it :D

No worries djr, just flipping you a bit of a tough time :)

Twey
02-23-2007, 09:01 PM
No, I learnt Python quite a while ago. I've never tried to use it for web development before now, though, and this is my first encounter with Django.

I've seen the Python Challenge before, and completed the first few levels, then got bored and went off to do something more productive, if I remember correctly :p

mburt
02-23-2007, 09:19 PM
I've seen the Python Challenge before, and completed the first few levels, then got bored and went off to do something more productive, if I remember correctly
How much more productive can you get then learning python :p. It's only recently getting some popularity, but other than that I don't know anyone that uses it.

BLiZZaRD
02-23-2007, 09:19 PM
Oh, well yeah if you already know it I suppose it wouldn't do much good. I heard it was fun though :D

Twey
02-23-2007, 10:31 PM
It's pretty fun, but I like the feel of having an application/page in front of me. Having an algorithm alone just doesn't cut it :)
How much more productive can you get then learning python :p. It's only recently getting some popularity, but other than that I don't know anyone that uses it.It doesn't have much popularity in the Windows desktop world (mostly due to the difficulty of distributing interpreted software on Windows), but elsewhere it's growing rather rapidly. It's used for web development enough to become part of the trio of Ps in LAMP (and has been for quite some time), it has what is in my opinion the best ORM in existence (SQLAlchemy (http://www.sqlalchemy.org/)), and it's been Redhat's language of choice for administrative applications since the beginnings of RHEL. Its wide range of bindings make it suitable for most uses: it has bindings for all the popular toolkits and many different libraries. It can compile to .NET CIL or Java bytecode using IronPython or Jython, and communicate with other applications that use that bytecode. It's capable of being used in an imperative or functional manner (although so far I've never really got to grips with functional programming; I haven't given up hope) and there are big rumblings in the direction of it replacing Java in the embedded-applications market. Not to mention that JavaScript is starting to look more like Python with every release Mozilla make.

All in all, it's actually a very handy little language :)

djr33
02-24-2007, 08:21 AM
Been playing with that site. Fun.
I'm doing it in PHP... but... fun puzzles.
I'm getting stuck though, at what is to be done, more than the code. 4 took me forever as I didn't really get what was being looked for, but then I found it, and now 5 is just too vague.

Twey
02-25-2007, 04:02 PM
Incidentally, while the topic of Python is open:
Significant potential contributors in both the Python and XUL application development communities have long wanted access to Python's set of libraries and its capabilities as an application development language. So in addition to JavaScript, which is the default web and XUL scripting language, we plan to extend the reach of Gecko and XUL to the Python world.
Mark Hammond's work on PyXPCOM and a language-neutral DOM is well under way as of October 2005, and we believe that the glue code and bindings will be slim enough to be part of a default XULRunner or Firefox distribution when the 1.9 cycle is complete.I've been telling people they'd do that for ages :)

shachi
02-26-2007, 03:42 PM
I like python applications more than other ones as they are both light weight and give a great deal of performance(you may have noticed blender, it's light but so awesome). Twey is a beast of programming languages. :p