PDA

View Full Version : explorer 6 will not allow flash

panhand
02-09-2007, 09:47 PM
well this is my 3rd day trying to figure this out. i have been on the phone with adobe- earthlink - microsoft - and the geek squad
so i hope someone here can help
i have windows xp explorer 6 .. my computer is set for auto updates. i believe i caved and allowed some sort of additional upgrade through earthlink or exporer but not sure what. after that i could no longer view certain things.. for instance slide shows on myspace and avatars in yahoo messanger. i did figure out that is all run by adobe flash. it kept telling me to download it. i had no problems viewing these things before so i thought i already had flash.
i do. i tried taking it off and downloading again. it is on my computer ....
i downloaded mozilla and was able to view all the slides etc. so i know adobe flash is here. and it is in explorer. and the only link i have is the upgrade??? i have went through all my settings in tools internet options. i have enabled everthing possible... and shut down all pop up blockers i can find. i turned of spyware and norton and no help.
i was always able to run the flash with them before anyway.
i disabled all the add ons that mentioned active x i assume that is associated.
mind you i am just a woman who plays around here and do not have any tech background so i need help before i undo something ill be sorry for...:confused:

BLiZZaRD
02-09-2007, 10:48 PM
You might already have.

I don't know what all those people have already told you or had you try, So we may be repeating a few things.

First, open your internet options and go through all the tabs and select the "restore defaults" or what ever it says (forgive me I have been with FF for a couple years now and I forget the IE lingo :) )

Now, a lot of this may be because of an Active X issue between EOLAS and MicroSoft, which MS lost and had to do this security feature for.

Thankfully for us Flashers there is a tiny little work around, sadly not all of us use the fix(es) and therefor are subject to the no-viewing thing.

To start with, after you have redone the defaults, go back through and set all the options to how you like, the security level that is comfortable for you, etc.

Once done with that go to my index page: http://cleverwasteoftime.com

There is a Flash movie there for you to test on (as I have bothered to do the fix). This page will be our reference point.

If you see the Flash movie there then we have narrowed down the problem. If you don't, watch the borders of your browser window (top and bottom) for messages. Anything that does or doesn't happen, any messages that do appear... tell us about them here.

I am on my way home from work so will be away for a while, but we will get you through this :D

panhand
02-10-2007, 02:02 AM
set all to default level
went to the site you said
seen nothing
tried clicking on it
a message to install active x appeared in the box where the movie belonged
a message appeared above in a gold bar stating i needed active x as well
so i click on the one in box to get active x and it did nothing but reset the screen with a small red x in the corner....
anytime i try to install it no matter where i am it does that same thing. thanks for helping me.... i now this is small time for you...
what about upgrading to explorer 7?:(

detoam
02-10-2007, 02:16 AM
I am no expert, but I think it is the security settings on Your PC. I don't recall exactly what I did to fix it, but I do remember that I had to change some kind of security setting.
Have You also tried the Macromedia's own Flash remover. I had to do that once.

Also IE7 is very annoying with it's so-called safety warnings. And the worst part is that they do not turn off. Actually some of the Microsoft's own pages will not let You access them with IE7.

panhand
02-10-2007, 02:16 AM
i was mistaken about having the active x or adobe flash there was an icon on my dektop to install it yet it did not actually install... it was there maybe at some point i was told to remove it. now it will not install at all

detoam
02-10-2007, 02:26 AM
Yeah that's exactly the problem I had. I don't if You tried this, but this is one of the things to try:
In Internet options security settings try this:

Ensure that the "Download Signed ActiveX controls" and "Run ActiveX controls and plug-ins" options are enabled

And here is the link to the uninstaller:
http://www.adobe.com/cfusion/knowledgebase/index.cfm?id=tn_14157
Don't forget to restart before reinstalling it.
That's pretty much all I know about it. I stopped bothering with those guys after they screwed me on the Illustrator support.

panhand
02-10-2007, 02:29 AM
i am soooo confused... with ie i have no ability to download the active x or adobe flashe etc. and my computer programs does not list it at all yet when i use mozilla i am able to view the site you suggested and the adobe check says i do have version 9something installed.... i have to pick up my kid so ill check back soon thanks again
hey what is the macromedia flash remover?

detoam
02-10-2007, 02:33 AM
It will completely remove flash player of your computer. That is usually the only way to fix that thing. After that You reinstall it and hope it works. The reason even their own first suggestion to do so is because flash files are big security risk. I don't know how is that, but many people think that it is simple to exploit them for hacking and such.

panhand
02-10-2007, 11:12 AM
day 4 i am at it early today...lol
i will try the uninstall you suggested...
i am almost ready to give up. my email favorites all are on explorer
but i guess i will have to use a different one. i do not like mozilla any suggesstions if i can not fix this bug in ie.

panhand
02-10-2007, 11:53 AM
uninstalled and reinstalled no help. it is showing on my programs now

jscheuer1
02-10-2007, 01:11 PM
Oddly enough, you should simply not be using IE 6 (or 7 for that matter, though it is a little safer) to surf the net. It is too dangerous!! So, this may be a blessing in disguise. Especially if, as you say, you are not too experienced. My advice may have come too late, your problem may be the result of an attack but, I'm hoping it is not. FF is an excellent alternative to IE, as is Opera. IE may be used on trusted sites but, for just surfing the net, one of the other two is a much safer bet.

panhand
02-10-2007, 01:33 PM
well thank goodness i have nothing to attack lol
it will be like moving packing up all my adresses mail messingers bookmarks as you ff ers say... but i have truly given up. thanks for your help. all of you.

jscheuer1
02-10-2007, 01:55 PM
well thank goodness i have nothing to attack lol
it will be like moving packing up all my adresses mail messingers bookmarks as you ff ers say... but i have truly given up. thanks for your help. all of you.

You have more to attack than you realize. Those very things that you are having to pack up and move for one. Also, once malware installs itself on a PC there may be no way of removing it other than reformatting the hard drive and starting over. I'm sure that you wouldn't view that as 'nothing to attack', it is the very use of your PC and its programs as you have configured them that's at stake, not to mention any data or projects on the drive.

I doubt that your current problem is the result of an attack. If it is not, I could probably talk you through the steps required to re-enable flash in IE. I think BLiZZaRD was on the right track, in fact. There are certain Active X and active scripting settings that must be set to 'allow' or at least 'prompt' for flash to work. These generally can be restored if you return everything in the security tab and in the advanced tab to their defaults. You might even want to try this but, if it gets things working for you - PLEASE for your own sake, do not go back to IE as your default browser.

BLiZZaRD
02-10-2007, 02:53 PM
i am soooo confused... with ie i have no ability to download the active x or adobe flashe etc. and my computer programs does not list it at all yet when i use mozilla i am able to view the site you suggested and the adobe check says i do have version 9something installed.... i have to pick up my kid so ill check back soon thanks again
hey what is the macromedia flash remover?

Okay, first off please don't give up. Yes IE does have some issues with security and other things but it is still the most widely used browser. If you want to use it we will get you able to view everything.

I would suggest against installing IE7 at this point. Yes it is the "better" browser of the 2 options, but IE6 is needed to get working before we make that transition.

This issue isn't about having Flash Player installed, it is about the settings on your computer and in IE6. The reason for the uninstall/install of the Flash Player was to remove those issues and sometimes (not often enough though) a reinstall will change those settings for you.

Now. The next thing we are going to do is a small clean up of your registry.

Follow these steps and then go to my site after a reboot and let me know what happens:

1) Go here and download (http://www.filehippo.com/download_ccleaner/) this program it is called Crap Cleaner (CCleaner for short) basically it is a multi cleansing tool and uninstaller but it also has a very nice registry cleaner as well. Click the "Download the latest version" link in the top right corner of the green side bar.

2) Install CCleaner. This is a very simple install, and (from memory) double click the install icon you downloaded, choose English, then next, I Agree, next, leave all the check boxes checked, Install, and then finish.

3) Once installed, open CCleaner program. On the left side are 4 options, Cleaner, Issues, Tools, and Options. Forget about Options, we won't need that. First, click on Cleaner, You will see in the middle a ton of check boxes. Most of them are already checked. We will go through them though to ensure the "correct" ones are checked.
In the first (shown) tab all should be checked EXCEPT those under "advanced" which should be grayed out. Click on the "applications" tab next. Ensure that EVERYTHING on this tab is checked, then in the bottom right hand corner is "Run Cleaner" Click this button, check the box "don't show this again" in the warning box that pops up. let the cleaner run, it should take anywhere from 10 seconds to 45 seconds.

Once it is complete, click on the Issues button. Again ensure that EVERY box in this list is checked, then click "scan for issues" The time for this scan can vary greatly, but you will know when it is done when the "Fix Selected Issues" button in the bottom right corner lights up. Once it does, click it. Then choose "Yes" when the pop up saying "Do you want to backup changes to the registry" appears. This will then open a "save as.." box, choose a simple destination, like your MyDocuments folder or such and click save. Then click "Fix ALL Selected Issues" in the next window that appears, let it run through and close CCleaner.

4) Now, basically all you have done was cleaned out your registry of unused files, and done a good thorough disk clean up. Close everything and reboot. Try my site again here is the link again (http://cleverwasteoftime.com) and let me know what happens. We will move on from here when you report back :D

jscheuer1
02-10-2007, 04:17 PM
Okay, first off please don't give up. Yes IE does have some issues with security and other things but it is still the most widely used browser. If you want to use it we will get you able to view everything.

Bad idea. It is a good idea, if possible, to get the old installation of IE working so that when it is to be used on trusted sites, it will function properly. But, it is not a good idea to send someone off blithely surfing the web with it as their primary browser, especially if they are not all that computer literate. That is a recipe for disaster that no amount fixing, short of a full system restore from a clean hard disk can recover from.

Also, if you are cleaning the registry to uninstall flash viewer's left behind keys, shouldn't you make sure flash player is uninstalled first? It is still working in other browsers. This makes me think that the original restore defaults in IE was incomplete or that things were changed after that and before trying flash in that browser.

I'm not comfortable with recommending registry cleaning to a novice user, even as a last resort.

BLiZZaRD
02-10-2007, 04:50 PM
True, but what can we do? We can't convert everyone to a proper browser, and she has already shown her distaste for FireFox. There aren't many left that will do what she needs/wants.

That's the thing I like about CCleaner though, save the back up it prompts for. If something stops working or is broken, etc. Double click the reg icon it saved, and everything goes back to the way it was. it is (dare I say) fool proof with CC.

And no, we aren't doing the reg cleaning in the hopes of clearing out Flash Player, as I am 99% sure the player isn't the problem here. I am willing to bet there are activeX, ATI, or nVidia files that are corrupt or broken in that registry, and that is what we are getting rid of.

If the key is active, working properly and not corrupt at all, CC won't even list it as a possibility to remove.

detoam
02-10-2007, 05:05 PM
I'll have to disagree about IE. I like using it much more than the Fox. Especially the new Fox. I don't mind the security holes in IE, but since it is the most accepted and the easiest to use that's what I prefer. I am not going to say anything bad about the Fox, but I have found the 2.0 harder to use than the previous version. It is slower and it even will not load some sites. But I do prefer to use it when I need it's various plug-ins. I love the developer bar. So let me get my foot out of my mouth and say that they are both really good. I just wish that they would have some standard set on how either one of them works. Because it is a pain sometimes to make a webpage to look good in either one. My last page I was making I tried to make specially for Fox, but it turned to look better in IE. Go figure.

P.S. I love the CC as well.

jscheuer1
02-10-2007, 05:28 PM
all,
I just thought we had the opportunity to save one soul from countless future problems. Opera is actually much more like IE than is FF. For folks that like IE's facility with javascript and images, it is a good choice.

detoam,
None of the major browsers are much easier or harder to use than the others. If you are so used to IE that you cannot bring yourself to use another, it has nothing to do with 'ease of use'. And, it has almost everything to do with how much 'at risk' your computer is.

BLiZZaRD
02-10-2007, 08:02 PM
I agree with you John, but it took me 4 months to get my wife off IE and onto FF. And I sleep with her! Of course now, she won't even open IE, and if something auto opens IE she closes it and won't use what ever that was :D

The truth is IE is the worst browser out there. The fact is that it comes with every new PC and just like Windows, people will use what they are given, get used to it, and then fight the change.

In this case the option is simple from the "I can't get it to work in IE, but I downloaded FireFox and it works on there" would be enough for me to quit using IE. Hey, I found one that works, why use the broken one?

But I would rather help her and then show her why FF is better, than come in bashing the browser she wants to use.

Nothing personal against you, sir, or anything you have posted. I agree 100% with everything you have said.

jscheuer1
02-10-2007, 08:31 PM
I agree with you John, but it took me 4 months to get my wife off IE and onto FF. And I sleep with her!

I know your heart is in the right place BLiZZaRD. I don't think where people sleep has much to do with this though. Sometimes in a close relationship, the desire to please the other person can outweigh common sense, in either direction so, I am not too persuaded by this example. Where you were saying:

And no, we aren't doing the reg cleaning in the hopes of clearing out Flash Player, as I am 99% sure the player isn't the problem here. I am willing to bet there are activeX, ATI, or nVidia files that are corrupt or broken in that registry, and that is what we are getting rid of.

This only hints at the damage that using IE as your primary browser can leave in its wake.

And, I am not opposed to getting panhand's copy of IE working again. The effort, if carried out systematically, will help to determine if her problems are the result of an attack or from something less sinister. Good to know.

I still cannot stress enough the importance of safeguarding ones computer and data by using a browser other than IE as your primary internet tool. IE can still and sometimes even should be used to access certain trusted sites.

detoam
02-10-2007, 09:15 PM
I still cannot stress enough the importance of safeguarding ones computer and data by using a browser other than IE as your primary internet tool. IE can still and sometimes even should be used to access certain trusted sites.
with that I highly agree. I have to run my machine without anti-virus most of the time. And I have noticed how many more times I get infected by using IE. Wit The Fox I very rarely get anything like that. Of course since I do experiments on my machine I have to reinstall Windows just about every week so getting a virus for me is not the end.

BLiZZaRD
02-11-2007, 02:23 PM
I know your heart is in the right place BLiZZaRD. I don't think where people sleep has much to do with this though.

Err... ROTF.. sorry bad attempt at a sad joke on my part :D