PDA

View Full Version : Ultimate Fade-in slideshow (v1.5)

ozzgod
02-05-2007, 09:55 PM
1) Script Title: Ultimate Fade-in slideshow (v1.5)

2) Script URL (on DD): http://www.dynamicdrive.com/dynamicindex14/fadeinslideshow.htm

3) Describe problem: I have been using this script for quite awhile now with 5 slideshows. The script has worked great in both Internet Explorer and Fire Fox. Recently, I upped the amount of slideshows to 21. The slideshow still works great in IE but becomes jerky and erratic in FF.

Please... what did I do wrong?

I'm using IE 7.0 and FF 1.8 to view my page.

http://conraddelarosa.com/aworkinprogress.html

ddadmin
02-05-2007, 10:17 PM
Holy cow you have 21 instances of the script running! Even if the efficiency of this script can be improved, the fact is, manipulating an image's opacity requires x amount of resources in Firefox, and when you multiply that by 21, you'll going to have troubles. My only suggestion is to rethink the design of your page to drastically reduce the number of instances of the script running.

jscheuer1
02-05-2007, 10:28 PM
I agree with DD here and would add that FF has always had trouble with multiple instances of anything repetitive in javascript. This includes a simple text scroller, for example. I am actually surprised that it took 21 instances before you noticed a problem in FF. I see a problem in that browser with 2 instances if they both try to fade at the same time.

ozzgod
02-05-2007, 10:49 PM
Wow... that's disappointing. As you can see, IE has no trouble handling the 21 slideshows. However, I try to keep my pages Firefox friendly for the few people who insist on using this, IMHO, inferior browser.

On the Dynamic Drive page, http://www.dynamicdrive.com/dynamicindex14/fadeinslideshow.htm , where I got this script it says, "As mentioned, you can invoke "fadeshow()" multiple times on the same page to display multiple fade in slideshows. Fade away we say!" So I took it to heart and faded away. Maybe a caveat to the instuctions that there are some minor problems with FF in as far as the number of slideshows is concerned would be good. I did have a page where I played around with 36 slideshows using this single script, again, without any troubles in IE.

I will rethink my page I guess. Thank you for your help. You guys rock.

jscheuer1
02-05-2007, 11:00 PM
Yes, it is a shame and perhaps should be noted but, it is a common problem with FF and all repetitive javascript operations. Particularly when two or more are being carried out at the same time. Interestingly, Opera used to have this same problem but, no longer does. This shows that a third party browser can work smoothly under windows, which was always the excuse for FF in the past. However, FF has much to recommend it, I wouldn't be too hard on it. It (and just about any browser other than IE) is more secure. FF also has tons of add ons available for it (extensions) that make it extremely useful for just about any purpose as it can be customized for the use(s) you wish to put it to. Much of what is available in IE 7 that distinguishes it from IE 6 has for a long time been available in FF.