PDA

View Full Version : If anyone needs a flash intro...

killerchutney
02-02-2007, 06:19 PM
Im bored, so I will happily make you a flash intro if you want one.

BLiZZaRD
02-02-2007, 06:47 PM
Heh. I smell a challenge :D

killerchutney
02-02-2007, 06:50 PM
nah, I suck at actionscript, I can do simple stuff, but nothing complex

BLiZZaRD
02-02-2007, 07:12 PM
A friendly competition? No?

I am not so good at graphics, so we even out :)

We would have rules of course, but it might cure your boredom :D

Just an idea.. no pressure.

killerchutney
02-02-2007, 07:14 PM
yeah, ok. what is going to be the terms (e.g. what sort of style/ theme)

thetestingsite
02-02-2007, 07:15 PM
When finished post here so the DD members can vote on it.

BLiZZaRD
02-02-2007, 07:24 PM
Okay, since this is the first competition, we will agree on the rules. I offer these, and if you want to debate/alter/add/remove just post back and we will agree on happy mediums :D

1) All original work, including art, imports, etc.

2) Must be done only in Flash - meaning no php, SQL etc. So that basically someone could take our .swf file and upload it to their server and have it on their site.

3) A Flash intro (or Bumper screen) is to be made.

4) Any style, color, theme as artist deems needed. No restriction on file size, length of movie or use of sounds (although sounds must be of your own making or at a minimum you hold the copyright to said sound file - see rule 1)

5) Must be 500px W x 450px H or less.

6) Final swf must be uploaded to a server or site (such as image shack for example) within 3 hours of competition start.

7) Voting will be done by DD Forum members and last for 48 hours.

8) Voting tallies (most likely a poll) will be counted at the end of that 48 hours and "winner" determined.

Okay, thats all I can think of... what do you say?

BLiZZaRD
02-02-2007, 07:28 PM
Oooo edit!

We will need a topic though. Something to make our Intro "for" or "about"

Ideas?

mburt
02-02-2007, 07:29 PM
Man... I wish I could learn flash, don't you have to buy a program or something? You can't just use notepad... can you?

killerchutney
02-02-2007, 07:31 PM
I agree.

perhaps for a gaming site?

Man... I wish I could learn flash, don't you have to buy a program or something? You can't just use notepad... can you?
yes, you have to buy it, but you can download a trial from adobe.com

Frog Brew
02-02-2007, 07:31 PM
That's a good idea...anxious to see the results.

BLiZZaRD
02-02-2007, 07:44 PM
Okay then... We will make an intro for a gaming site, using the rules set up above.

Just to keep it somewhat err... controlled... we will say this is for : gamingsite.com

So no one gets all offended or copyright-y LOL

So we shall begin now then? Sounds good to me!

I will await for your next post to ensure everything is dandy and ready then I will begin!

mburt
02-02-2007, 07:48 PM
Ooooh.. *points at screen. This could be interesting :) * twittles fingers

killerchutney
02-02-2007, 07:52 PM
Ok, start... NOW!!

BLiZZaRD
02-02-2007, 07:58 PM
Started!

See you in about 3 hours!

Good Luck to you! :D

thetestingsite
02-02-2007, 08:25 PM
I can't wait to see the results. This is going to be good.

killerchutney
02-02-2007, 09:07 PM
I'm done. (after all it didn't take 3 hours, more like 2, or 1 or whatever the time was when we started)
<embed src="http://www.killerchutney.co.uk/files/gamingsite.swf"/>

EDIT: Oh, that didnt work very well lol.
http://www.killerchutney.co.uk/files/gamingsite.swf p.s. it may lag a bit as its not supposed to fill up the whole screen, but thats the default

BLiZZaRD
02-02-2007, 10:29 PM
And Here is mine (http://cleverwasteoftime.com/blizzcorner/gamingSite.html)

As always, I had trouble with the graphics. :D

Turned out okay for a no planning job I suppose :)

So now we give it 2 days for the voting?

mburt
02-02-2007, 10:46 PM
Wow... very close. Good job BLiZZaRD and killerchutney. I like them both... hard to decide :D

BLiZZaRD
02-02-2007, 10:50 PM
WHAT?? What kind of vote is that?? This is for world domination and you choose both?? :D

Honestly though... I like killer's too, quick, and technical/professional.

Mine was more geared towards children I guess.. habits from having so many running around here :D

Glad I don't have to vote, it is a tough one :)

thetestingsite
02-02-2007, 10:57 PM
I like the one by killerchutney because of the layout of the design. Blizzard's was simple, yet effective and I like that in an intro (Nothing too complex). If I had to choose right now, I would say (don't be mad Blizzard :) ) killerchutney got it.

Frog Brew
02-02-2007, 10:58 PM
I have to go with KC's. Very close though, his has more of a Cheat/exploit/review feel to it and yours (Blizzard) has more of a classic arcade game feel, (where you actually play the game) . So I guess it depends on what I was googling. KC's modern influence I find more appealing though.

Both are very good though, (escpecially considering time restraints)

BLiZZaRD
02-02-2007, 11:15 PM
HAha.. I didn't even think of that type of gaming site. My first thought was of the ones you go and play on.

Good thinking there.

mburt
02-02-2007, 11:50 PM
Yeah, I have to admit (sorry Blizz) KC's is more "advanced-game"-like. Yours would make a good "simple" game intro :p No offense though, I would never be able to do something like that in 5 million years.

BLiZZaRD
02-03-2007, 02:06 AM
No offense taken. Now you see why I do all the scripting and leave the art to others :)

On the bright side, my latest RPG is coming along nicely, although I have lost my artist :yikes:

I have almost 20,000 lines of code and 4 tiles sets. I have enough to make a couple towns, as long as I don't ever want to go inside a house or building :)

Oh well, I guess I will have to learn pixel art now too...

killerchutney
02-03-2007, 10:12 AM
Yeah, it was a close one, I liked yours alot, blizzard. p.s. you should have used a hit function on the play button.

EDIT: Shall I create a new topic for the voting?

BLiZZaRD
02-04-2007, 03:28 PM
I don't think we need a separate thread for the voting. LOL Killerchutney wins.

Congratulations.

And yes there were lots of things I could/should have done, but I don't use hitTest any more and I rarely ever use the hit state of buttons, hell I don't even use buttons, just MCs with button attributes.

hitTest takes up too many resources and the hit state is ever rarely seen, so why put it in? :D