PDA

View Full Version : redirection for different resolutions

micklep
01-23-2007, 08:52 PM
Hello,

I am currently redoing my website (www.pissedandhappy.co.uk) using a template i made. The only way that i have been able to make the website was to use frames throughout. The problem is that people with different resolutions see the websites differently.

I am looking for a script that will detect a users resolutoin and direct them to a different version of the website.

for example

1024 X 768 will divert them to www.pissedandhappy.co.uk/1/index.html

1280 x 1024 will divert them to www.pissedandhappy.co.uk/2/index.html

If this is not possible, is there a script that will automatically strecth or shrink the layers to stay in there 1024 mode?

Here is the template that i am working on http://www.stuff.pissedandhappy.co.uk/Pissed%20and%20happy/template.htm

Cheers peter

Twey
01-23-2007, 09:28 PM
The only way that i have been able to make the website was to use frames throughout.Then you need to learn HTML and CSS more thoroughly. Frames are rarely necessary.
I am looking for a script that will detect a users resolutoin and direct them to a different version of the website.It's not a good idea. You can't possibly cater for every possible resolution. Instead, use CSS to create a layout that will adapt to the user's chosen resolution.
1024 X 768 will divert them to www.pissedandhappy.co.uk/1/index.html

1280 x 1024 will divert them to www.pissedandhappy.co.uk/2/index.htmlAnd what about 1600x1200? 640x480? 320x300? Laptop resolutions, which tend to be completely out of proportion to desktop resolutions? People who don't browse full-screen? Are you going to create a separate page for every single resolution that can possibly exist?
If this is not possible, is there a script that will automatically strecth or shrink the layers to stay in there 1024 mode?I'm not entirely sure what you mean by "1024 mode" (or, indeed, "layers:" the <layer> tag hasn't been used since the days of something like Netscape 4), but I'm willing to bet that whatever it is, CSS can do it.

You may also want to validate (http://validator.w3.org/) your page.