PDA

View Full Version : Dynamic forwarding from SQL-Database

sharky1000
01-22-2007, 10:38 PM
hi freaks,

my project is to build a website with an dynamic forwarding URL.

Visitors can enter there interests in a form if they want advertising.

After this they can make my dynamic forwarding URL to there browser startlocation.

For example, one visitor is interested in cars.

He fills out the form and next time, he opens his browser, he will pushed from my dynamic website within seconds to a car-dealer URL.

On my site works in the backround an SQL-Server with a database of some car-dealer URL's.

The first time this visitor opens his browser, he should get the first car-dealer URL. The second time the second URL and so on. (I don't want to bore my visitors) ;-)

So my questions:
Am I lucky and some scripts are allready written for free using?

If not, what programming-languages I have to learn to implement my project?

What kind of server I have to rent from a webhosting company?
There are some cheap, but I can only use PHP3, PHP4, PHP5 and SQL4 and 5
But there are also some expensive with free programmable CSI-Scripts, Perl and Phyton.

Of course I would prefer the cheap servers, but is this enough for my problem? Do I have to concern some other things about the webserver?

Sorry about my bad english, but Im writing from Germany.

cya
Sharky1000

BLiZZaRD
01-23-2007, 12:50 AM
Not sure on the technicalities, but it can be done with php (acting as your log in/registration script), and the way to communicate with SQL, which is the other element you need.

Shouldn't need anything else to accomplish this task, but I don't know. Depends on how pretty you want everything.

Of course HTML is needed to make the pages, etc.

sharky1000
01-23-2007, 05:03 PM
Hi BLiZZaRD,

thanks for your fast answer.

Well now I have to learn php. - But I found this wonderful place with nice peoples. Im sure with the help of some freaks and a good tutorial I can build a usable script for my site.

The html should be no problem. Just have to find my old Dreamweaver 3.0 package in the cellar ;-) (I hope it still works with Win XP)

So cu soon

sharky1000

Twey
01-23-2007, 05:05 PM
The html should be no problem. Just have to find my old Dreamweaver 3.0 package in the cellar ;-) (I hope it still works with Win XP)Hm... try to avoid WYSIWYG editors. They tend to cause more problems than they solve.

boxxertrumps
01-23-2007, 05:30 PM
hi freaks
That Is No Way To Ask For Help.

And Its Simple Enough To Use PHP And MySQL to Create a login system for your site. Ive Been Working On One For The Past Little While. If You Can Get It Running, Congrats, But It Hasn't Been Tested Yet.
Link. (http://anon-boxxertrumps.blogspot.com/2007/01/its-over-9000.html)

Twey
01-23-2007, 06:17 PM
Sorry about my bad english, but Im writing from Germany.I suspect he probably meant "geeks" :) He used it in tandem with compliments and didn't seem to recognise the potentially offensive connotations.

sharky1000
01-23-2007, 09:38 PM
Ups sorry.

didn't meant it in the bad way.

Well in German we use "freaks" for some persons which knows very much about some special professions. For example elite-programmer.

Didn't knewed that "freaks" sounds bad in America or England. Well in the future I will start with hi geeks ;-)

(www.leo.org told my that freak means also enthused.. and that was the way I meant it. Not the other bad words.) Well, just enter in leo.org geek and it will show you the translation computer-freak ;-)

Nice to hear how it sounds to other countrys after using this phrase about 8 years in several forums and discussions. It was something like my logo <shame on me>. Fortunaly I didnt wrote often in english forums.

So, thanks so much for this info. I will change it in the future.

Just dont do a Google search with the keywords "sharky1000 freaks" ;-)

@Twey: Thanks for the hint to avoid WYSIWYG editors. I also got Phase5 and Arachnophilia. I will give it a try. I've just red that the new versions of Dreamweaver will compress his code before saving. That sounds not good to me.

@boxxertrumps: Thanks for sharing your PHP-script. After I knew more about PHP I will try to learn from it.

So cu

Sharky1000

Twey
01-23-2007, 10:48 PM
Note that "geeks" can be offensive too. Real geeks don't usually mind, though :)

BLiZZaRD
01-24-2007, 01:23 AM
Yes, (un?)fortunatley I knew what he meant by "freaks".

Just a tid bit, (at least in the US) normally a "freak" is something we assosiate with a person of grotesque abnormalities. Elephant Man, Sloth from the Goonies, the lizard man.

This attraction coined the term Freaks when it was introduced to our culture in the late 1800's and far into the 1970's when side shows of circus acts, traveling salesmen and others would find these "weird" people, hire them to travel with them to drum up business "Come look at the three legged man!"

Don't worry too much about it, most people don't get bent out of shape unless it is obvious you are trying to insult.

On a side note, I learned this very same way that "silly" while in the US means funny, acting hyper to gain a laugh, means "you should be institutionalized" (on basis of being clinically insane) in Italy.

An Italian friend of mine online was in chat and cracking funny jokes, I said "You are silly" He promptly logged off and only a couple days later would he respond to an email asking why. I cleared up the error, and we have moved on.

Now, back on topic... I agree with Twey here, stay away from ALL such editors, they will only ruin the code, and if you don't know enough about what you are doing you will not be able to fix the errors they will introduce to your scripts.

The best bet is to stick with good old notepad, or notepad plus.

Twey
01-24-2007, 02:24 PM
On a side note, I learned this very same way that "silly" while in the US means funny, acting hyper to gain a laugh, means "you should be institutionalized" (on basis of being clinically insane) in Italy.It's interesting to note how these things differ between cultures. In Japanese, there are two (relevant) words for "idiot," depending on dialect: "baka" and "ahō." In Tōkyō, "baka" is less offensive; while you'd probably still anger people if you said it to someone you met on the street, between close friends it's used in a jocular manner. "Ahō," on the other hand, can be highly offensive. In Ōsaka, it's the other way around :)

Another interesting fact I picked up recently is that the Dutch use diseases as swear words. Thus, if you hadn't seen a Dutch man for a long time and suddenly turned up at his door, he might express his astonishment by saying, "Get cancer!"

BLiZZaRD
01-25-2007, 01:38 PM
I love learning about these differences. Some are very quite funny, and of course growing up learning how your culture does it, you find it hard sometimes to see just HOW different others really are.

I have found myself asking a couple times "how can that offend you?" But it can, and does :D

superjadex12
01-25-2007, 05:26 PM
that's the first thing I thought of when he wrote it. Even in english, many people use freaks as a different/hip way of saying someone who is extremely passionate about something.

No harm done.

And for what its worth, no one that dare call himself a true web developer, will ever be using frontpage or dreamweaver.

Granted dreamweaver has its place, it lets NON CODERS make websites.

I highest level of offense would be for me to tell you , you aren't a true coder!!! So keep learning, and keep reading, and soon you'll be typing away on straight NOTEPAD, yeah !!. Now that's a true coder!

I don't know how much you know about php currently, but I found this tutorial very helpful when I started, (and i still refer to it)

http://devzone.zend.com/node/view/id/627

They even cover mysql integration on it. I also have some great database normalization info as well, but you'll need to get through A to understand B.

Hope this helps!

Twey
01-25-2007, 05:44 PM
Granted dreamweaver has its place, it lets NON CODERS make websites.But that's pointless. It's like saying that non-artists can draw pictures. It's true, but the result will be crude, by definition: were it otherwise, then that person would be considered an artist.

superjadex12
01-25-2007, 06:26 PM
I wholeheartedly agree with what you are saying. Haha, believe me, I'd be the last of the last to defend dreamweaver.

I guess what I mean is from a business/marketing standpoint, I see what dreamweaver is trying to do. It's letting people who otherwise would not give a damn, throw up something that resembles a "web presence". Consider the local hair salon, etc, who is anxious to get a web site going. I really think it has more to do with business entities who view the internet as just another marketing tool where they can use dreamweaver to create a static page with contact information and some nice storefront pictures, and less to do with people that actually want to make effecient sites that actually work.

BUT now that I think about it, any business who is serious, would pay the dough to get a GOOD site done from those php FREAKS out there !!

Twey
01-25-2007, 07:30 PM
Indeed :D