PDA

View Full Version : Help! What is MySQL?

edearl
01-21-2007, 01:11 AM
Hi everyine! I am new. I just signed up for a link exchanger. I have to give them my FTP server, FTP username, FTP password, MySQL host, MySQL username, and MySQL password for my website. Well, I don't know what MySQL is, and I really need some help with that. All I need to know is what my MySQL host, MySQL username, and MySQL password is, or where to find it. Any info would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.:)

mburt
01-21-2007, 01:24 AM
MySQL is a database which allows you to store info... in short. Your web server has to be able to give you these capabilites.
Funpic.org allows FTP hosting and MySQL databases. And, it's free, I use it.
http://www.funpic.org/

BLiZZaRD
01-21-2007, 03:22 PM
What kind of link exchange needs all THAT information? I don't even give my wife those passwords... let alone some one on another computer I have never seen....

mburt
01-21-2007, 03:36 PM
I think you misread the post:

is what my MySQL host, ...
I think what the OP is looking for is to set up a MySQL server.

Twey
01-21-2007, 03:46 PM
I think what the OP is looking for is to set up a MySQL server.No, read the original post: the link exchange is asking for access details for his/her database server.
BLiZZaRD, I quite agree: a scam, perhaps?

mburt
01-21-2007, 03:53 PM
Yeah, sorry, I misread the post. It's possible it's a scam, but who's stupid enough to give that type of info...

edearl
01-21-2007, 03:56 PM
Well, actually, it is Link Metro i signed up for. Here's thier website: http://www.linkmetro.com/index.php. I was using the free version, but i decided to upgreade to an advanced user. They said i could add the script for the links in myself, but i didn't know how. They had an option where they can do it for me, so I gave them the nesescary info. Well, i figured out what my MySQL host, username, and password is, but you guys are saying i shouldn't have given them that info?

Twey
01-21-2007, 04:22 PM
Aha, I see.

Well, if you can trust them... I'd change your passwords after they're done, though.

BLiZZaRD
01-21-2007, 04:33 PM
Definitely change all your passwords when they are done.

Giving out that information is a gateway for wrong doing. With access to your database and FTP they can upload pages and scripts and run malicious programs from your site, and YOU will get the blame.

ANYTIME anyone asks for your passwords for anything you need to ask yourself why. If you can't find a good enough answer then don't give them out.

And just so you know.. there is NEVER a good enough answer ;)

For example, installing this application yourself might be a bit tough, but asking for help on this thread would have it done in a matter of a little while. Most of the people here know how to do all those things and can walk you through it -- without asking for your information. :D

edearl
01-21-2007, 04:37 PM
Would I have to contact my webhost to change the ftp and MySQL passwords?

BLiZZaRD
01-21-2007, 04:47 PM
No you can do that through your admin panel.

When you signed up for the web hosting they sent you an email with a ton of links in them, one of those links was to a sign in page to your administration pages.

Go there and sign in and navigate around until you find your tabs/links/whatever for the FTP access and SQL databases.

You can tell us who your web host is and perhaps someone here uses the same (or has in the past) and can be more specific with where to go :)

Twey
01-21-2007, 04:47 PM
Probably not. You can do it through a shell or using whatever administration tools your host provides.

edearl
01-21-2007, 04:59 PM
OK, heres the picture. link metro needs to put a script on my site for links to be put in. once they put the script in, i can manage the links through my account on link metro. but if i chang my password, will the links on the script still update? Oh, I use Lypha for webhosting, if you needed t know. Any help would be greatly appreciated. As you can see, I am a "New Coder"

BLiZZaRD
01-21-2007, 05:17 PM
No problem, yes you can change the password, and the likely hood of the script stop operating is very high.

What you would have to do is then change the password on link metros side yourself. (if they offer you to do it yourself in the first place, this is also possible)

However, it would be a lot simpler if you just did it yourself from the beginning.

Alternately, you can use the SQL database just for link metro, and just ensure on future DB needs (i.e. forums, chat rooms, what have you), you NEVER use that password or user name again.

Then take your time, and trust link metro. Once you learn a bit about your hosting and the web you will learn how to change all this yourself. t that point you can do so with the link metro stuff.

Of course you can also send a request into Lypha's customer support and ask them where you go to change these things.

If you trust Link Metro leave the DB stuff alone (at least for now) but change your FTP password at a very minimum.

<edit>

Here is the page you need for all this stuff... log in to your admin panel, contact customer support etc: http://www.lypha.com/support.shtml