PDA

View Full Version : WYDIWYG project

heavyhenning
01-16-2007, 11:06 PM
Hi all webdevelopers

I'm working on a project called WYDIWYG. -What You Design Is What You Get.

It may seem to you, that my idea is just to make another in-browser WYSIWYG editor, but you're wrong.
I haven't stumbled across one single in-browser WYSIWYG editor, that suites my needs. -They all focus on the text-layout as if they were word processors.

So the main goal is to make a in-browser XHTML editor, which can alter with the underlying CSS very easily, and NOT in an obscure and abstract way, as most WYSIWYG editors.
And focus on block-elements and tables is important. When using WYSIWYGs for altering text this isn't very important, but when it comes to editing XHTML and CSS, it is mandatory to have tools to resizing elements, drag&drop elements, copy&paste, navigating through DOM.. In other words; complete control over your XHTML document.

This makes sure, that the WYDIWYG is as close to the underlying XHTML as possible, and in the same time offering the users semi-abstract tools like resizing of block-elements, to make the process easier, without degrading the output.

Another idea I had, was that text elements are elements. So you can alter them as elements, and not text as if it where Microsoft word or something.

I hope I got the point of the project clear? If not, ask me

I need people who are willing to offer some of their spare time, to contribute to this project.
I have NO intentions of making money of this. It will be licensed under GPL, so I won't pay for your help, sorry.

Project homepage: http://wydiwyg.sourceforge.net

Sourceforge page: http://www.sourceforge.net/projects/wydiwyg

my email: heavyhenning [ at ] gmail [dot] com

If you have experience in Javascript or XHTML, and want to be a developer on this project, please contact me.

Regards,
heavyhenning

djr33
01-16-2007, 11:46 PM
Interesting. Not sure what you are looking for as a reply, but keep us updated.
I can't seem to find a way to actually type in the box, but I guess that's coming soon.

heavyhenning
01-17-2007, 10:19 PM
Well thats actually where i hit a roadblock.. Because i believe i'll be able to do much of the coding with the layout-editing myself.. Maybe there'll be no such "simple" and abstract ways to insert text in this project.

For now, it is, as you may have observed, only possible to resize, and copy&paste DIV elements... :(

p.s i have hardly begun on this project. I'm on standby, waiting for someone who can help me with some of the coding