PDA

View Full Version : search feature

james438
01-15-2007, 12:06 AM
Hi, I have been working on this PHP script for a while that will allow the user to selectively search the MySQL database on their site. I am still working on it to refine it and make the searches more efficient. I am new to this coding hobby, so I am sure that there are lots of ways that the script can be rewritten to do the same thing more efficiently, but it does selectively search tables and colomns as specified by the site owner.

I would like to submit this code, but I am not sure where to submit it or if I should submit it somewhere else. I have noticed that this type of script is hard to come by on the internet for some reason and what is available is either too narrow in its searches or too bulky of a program.

Thanks,
Joe

thetestingsite
01-15-2007, 02:38 AM
Is there a coding question here, or are you just looking for a place to post the code? You could submit the code to hotscripts.com or any other script/program directory.

Hope this helps.

alexjewell
01-15-2007, 02:45 AM
Yeah, hotscripts.com or phpfreaks.com.

thetestingsite
01-15-2007, 02:51 AM
You know, I forgot all about phpfreaks.com. I like their site with all the tutorials and stuff. Very helpful.

james438
01-15-2007, 02:58 AM
yes, I was just wondering where I could submit it. I was hoping to submit it here if I could, but if not where else I might be able to submit it. I could try looking at hotscripts, but I don't really like how they sort their files. There are so many, it is hard to sort through and many are defunct. I feel like I am submitting something to the Bermuda triangle. Well, that was a bit harsh of me. To be perfectly fair, I have found some of my best scripts there as well.

I will try and take a sneak peek at phpfreaks. I have not been there in a while.

Thanks for the suggestions.

thetestingsite
01-15-2007, 03:01 AM
Well, you could probably post the code here for others to see. Or, if you have your own webspace, keep it there and post a link to it here or wherever you see fit.

Hope this helps.

james438
01-15-2007, 03:54 AM
cool, I'll try to work on it a bit more just to make sure it looks ok and post a link to it in a couple of days. I could post the script, but it is a bit longish. That and sadly I need to figure out how to create a downloadable file.

thetestingsite
01-15-2007, 03:57 AM
Well, you could put it in a zip or rar file by using either Winzip or WinRAR (if you have windows.) Or you could make it a .phps (PHP source) file.

james438
01-19-2007, 05:53 AM
Yep, I know this is a few days later. I am a new coder and I get a kick out of what PHP and CSS and other languages can do.

Here is the link for the search feature (http://www.animeviews.com/test/publicsearch.phps).

I hope that this helps others who are looking to create a better search feature for their site. I am still trying to improve the scripts on my site to make them more efficient and along the way I find some bugs and find new tricks. I hope this script works out for you. I have tried to make it easy to use. If I put my mind to it I can make it easier to use, but it seems to get harder to make it easier to use as I go along, but it is lots of fun and worth it.

thetestingsite
01-20-2007, 06:24 PM
Nice script, good job on it.

james438
01-20-2007, 06:43 PM
heh, thanks for saying so! right now it is on version 1.5, but I shall endeavor to improve it and see if I can make it better :)

thetestingsite
01-20-2007, 06:49 PM
Hey, let me know if you need any help with it. Right now I'm in the process of moving, so the only internet access I have is when I'm at work for the ISP I work for. But on Wednesday afternoon or Thursday morning of this coming week, I should have Internet Access again at my new home.