PDA

View Full Version : Problem with Translucent Slideshow

Tonyc
01-11-2007, 12:14 PM
1) Script Title: Translucent slideshow script

2) Script URL (on DD): http://www.dynamicdrive.com/dynamicindex14/translucentslide.htm

3) Describe problem: Hello folks: This is my first visit and I am new to building web pages so please forgive if my question seems very basic. I like the translucent slideshow and have copied and pasted the the script into the BODY of the page adn this appears to be working OK but I don't know which file to put the images in. I am using the program SiteSpinner and have tried to put the pics in the preview file but this doesn't work! Can anybody help please!
Thanks in advance
Tony

jscheuer1
01-12-2007, 05:10 AM
Yes, this is a pretty basic issue and once you get familiar with it, you may feel foolish. But I'm sure almost all of us who have worked our way up, learning these sorts of things as we go, have had a similar experience to what you are facing now.

I think your main problem may be SiteSpinner. I've never heard of it before but, I just glanced at their website and it looks like one of those tools that can be very helpful for a beginner that at the same time, in an effort to simplify things, can tend to obscure some of the basics of what is really going on.

To answer your question, your images for your slide show do not go in a any file (although that might and I stress might, be what SiteSpinner calls it). In fact, each image is itself a file. Where these image files go is in the folder indicated in the script - usually (and by default in this script) the same folder where the page that is using them is located.

Tonyc
01-12-2007, 03:02 PM
Thanks for the information John. I have tried putting the files on the same page but that doesn't seem to work either. I will put the question to the SiteSpinner Forum and see what they suggest.
What program would you suggest for building web sites, bearing in mind that I am a complete beginner (only 2 sites up and working) ??
Rgds
Tony

jscheuer1
01-12-2007, 05:26 PM
Oddly enough, for this (inserting a Dynamic Drive script into an otherwise finished web page), I would recommend Notepad or Simple Text (one comes with Windows, the other ships with Macs). Once your page is completed in whatever program you like to work in, open it up in a text editor like one of the above and follow the installation instructions as given on the demo page for the script. To do that, you must know what the head and body of a page look like when viewed in a text editor, if that is a problem, let me know.

In the script, you must edit these variables to suit:

var trans_width='140px' //slideshow width
var trans_height='225px' //slideshow height
var pause=3000 //SET PAUSE BETWEEN SLIDE (3000=3 seconds)
var degree=10 //animation speed. Greater is faster.

var slideshowcontent=new Array()
//Define slideshow contents: [image URL, OPTIONAL LINK, OPTIONAL LINK TARGET]
slideshowcontent[0]=["photo1.jpg", "http://www.cnn.com", "_new"]
slideshowcontent[1]=["photo2.jpg", "", ""]
slideshowcontent[2]=["photo3.jpg", "http://www.google.com", ""]

Most important to your question are the images in the array. Make sure that the filenames there match exactly the filenames of the images you have that you want in the show. Also make sure that those images are in the same directory (folder) as the page itself is.

Now this may be difficult to understand if you do not know what a file and a directory (folder) is on the computer. Is there a problem with that? If so, I will explain that in greater detail.

Tonyc
01-12-2007, 08:10 PM
OK John,Thanks for being so helpful and patient with my poblem. I know what the <HEAD> and the <BODY> of the text looks like and I have a text editor for the Body (there is a seperate box to enter the header) in the program SiteSpinner which I have used to enter the code for the slideshow, changed the Width, Height & file names of the images, but still no joy! Just as a test I have added a page to the site. Perhaps you could look at the page in question to see where I am going wrong, it is
http://www.drsynsguesthouse.co.uk/slideshow.html
Thanks again. Rgds. Tony

jscheuer1
01-12-2007, 10:40 PM
OK, I looked at your sample page and here is what your image array should look like (at least for that page, live in that location on the server):

slideshowcontent[0]=["image/obj240geo248pg26p8.jpg", "", ""]
slideshowcontent[1]=["image/obj259geo267pg27p8.jpg", "", ""]
slideshowcontent[2]=["image/obj262geo270pg28p8.jpg", "", ""]

I think what has thrown you off and, this is just my theory, is that SiteSpinner has uploaded your images to a directory (folder) called image and renamed them as they now appear in the array above, while at the same time creating HTML pages for them named (I think after the original image names or maybe just sequenced after other pic#.html files it had already created) as:

pic3.html
pic4.html
pic5.html

These pages will display those images if navigated to in the root of your domain, ex:

http://www.drsynsguesthouse.co.uk/pic3.html

But, they are not the images themselves, ex:

http://www.drsynsguesthouse.co.uk/image/obj240geo248pg26p8.jpg

which is what the code in the script must point to and what I have written in the above array for you.

Now, it is also possible that something other than SiteSpinner is responsible for this, perhaps it is something the host does but, I tend to think it is SiteSpinner. I doubt that it is anything that you did except perhaps in misunderstanding how to use SiteSpinner for this sort of thing. I say perhaps as there may have been no alternative available in SiteSpinner for this. That is why I recommend a text editor for these sorts of things.

Tonyc
01-12-2007, 11:42 PM
I think I have understood that OK John, I have copied and pasted your revised code into the page and uploaded it but there still appears to be a problem. This is what I have now http:/drsynsguesthouse.co.uk/slideshow.html It seems to have moved the whole show up the page by the position of the credits for DD. Would you mind having another look?? Thanks

jscheuer1
01-13-2007, 02:51 AM
Still not using a text editor, I would guess. In any event, whatever the case with the editor, here is what you have:

slideshowcontent[0]=["image/obj240geo248pg26p8.jpg", "", ""] slideshowcontent[1]=["image/obj259geo267pg27p8.jpg", "", ""] slideshowcontent[2]=["image/obj262geo270pg28p8.jpg", "", ""]

Here is what you need:

slideshowcontent[0]=["image/obj240geo248pg26p8.jpg", "", ""]
slideshowcontent[1]=["image/obj259geo267pg27p8.jpg", "", ""]
slideshowcontent[2]=["image/obj262geo270pg28p8.jpg", "", ""]

Interestingly enough, this (with semicolons separating the array entries) would also work:

slideshowcontent[0]=["image/obj240geo248pg26p8.jpg", "", ""];slideshowcontent[1]=["image/obj259geo267pg27p8.jpg", "", ""];slideshowcontent[2]=["image/obj262geo270pg28p8.jpg", "", ""];

At this point, it is just a case of giving the script interpreter something that it can understand.

Tonyc
01-13-2007, 01:20 PM
Success!! Thanks John I finally got it! :D I am still using the SS text editor because as I see it I would have to transfer it from Notepad back to the SS text editor to get it in the page. Anyway I just put each Slideshow Content on a seperate line and it works fine. Now I will try one or two more from Dynamic Drive.
Thanks again for all your time and effort.
Rgds
Tony