PDA

View Full Version : Favicon Generator

jakflash
02-06-2005, 10:03 PM
http://www.dynamicdrive.com/favicon/

Is anyone able to assist me with this please.

I have followed the instructions and in the test advised:-

Verify it's there by typing http://mysite.com/favicon.ico in the browser's location, where "mysite.com" is your site's address.

The favicon appears on my screen but NOT in the address bar

I did this four days ago and have checked daily and still the favicon does not appear on the address bar next to my URL.

Have I done something incorectly??

Thanks in advance for any assistance.

Jak

ddadmin
02-06-2005, 10:31 PM
Hi:
Have you tried using Firefox to view your site? If the logo shows up, this confirms it's added correctly. IE has a bug that may not even display your favicon at all, or at least randomly.

jakflash
02-06-2005, 10:51 PM
Hi:
Have you tried using Firefox to view your site? If the logo shows up, this confirms it's added correctly. IE has a bug that may not even display your favicon at all, or at least randomly.

Thank you - I have just tried to view the web site and can't get it to work.
Is there any other script that will allow a favicon to be added to a web site that you know of?

ddadmin
02-06-2005, 10:54 PM
Hmm what's the URL to your site?

jakflash
02-06-2005, 11:02 PM
Hmm what's the URL to your site?

www.Canhandles.net

jakflash
02-06-2005, 11:11 PM
www.Canhandles.net

The site is re-directed to :- www.karajan.com/canhandles

ddadmin
02-06-2005, 11:47 PM
Hmmm it could be due to the favicon being in a subdirectory of your site (ie: karajan.com/canhandles instead of karajan.com/). Try uploading favicon.ico to karajan.com as well, and add the corresponding <link> code to head of that index page as well.

jakflash
02-07-2005, 12:00 AM
Hmmm it could be due to the favicon being in a subdirectory of your site (ie: karajan.com/canhandles instead of karajan.com/). Try uploading favicon.ico to karajan.com as well, and add the corresponding <link> code to head of that index page as well.

Thank you for your time, I did this and still nothing.
I wonder if any other DD users have had any success with the favicon script.

cr3ative
02-07-2005, 05:09 PM
Your favicon works perfectly for me.
(Win2003/Firefox)

cr3ative

jakflash
02-07-2005, 07:36 PM
Your favicon works perfectly for me.
(Win2003/Firefox)

cr3ative

I have the solution:-
By adding the site to my bookmarks. I was able to see the favicon image associated with my site under "favorites" in IE, and in the address bar.

My understanding of the Favicon now is this: you will only see it in the address bar if the site has been added to "favorites" AFTER the site has started using the Favicon. In other words, if I bookmarked microsoft.com 4 years ago, I won't see their Favicon because those icons weren't used 4 years ago.

Whether the favicon file properly displays can also be affected by the web browser settings, browser version, etc.

Thank you for the advice, I hope that the soultion that I have posted is able to help someone else that is having problems with the favicon not appearing.

ddadmin
02-08-2005, 02:30 AM
Yep, it's all very unpredictable, especially in IE. :)

sumaiya
10-29-2006, 12:04 PM
I did all the was written on dynamic drive, created favicon.ico uploaded it added the link in the index.php... but still isnt working....

Can anybody please help