PDA

View Full Version : Ultimate Fade-in slideshow - How do I add description text below the image area?

absolutely
01-05-2007, 06:04 PM
1) Script Title: Ultimate Fade-in slideshow (v1.5)

2) Script URL (on DD): http://www.dynamicdrive.com/dynamicindex14/fadeinslideshow.htm

3) Describe problem:
I would like to be able to show a text description below each image that shows. It would be good if the text description was just another element in the fadeimages array that you could add in quotes.
It does not need to fade the text description, just show it when the new slide shows.
The text description would be just a few words describing the image.

I have made a demo page (based on your very latest code mods for Safari and other options)..

Example page :
Click here to see my requirement. (http://www.absolutelyandy.com/demo/dynamicdrive_01/ufiss/)

As you can see just below the image area are a few words "I would like a description to appear here for each slide, just a few words for each image that shows.".
I would like that sentence to be a text string that relates to the current image being shown. This would then change for each image that shows.

I have supplied a link on that demo page to the external .js file so you can see the code.

What modifications would be needed to add this feature to the script?

Best wishes and happy new year!
Andy

jscheuer1
01-06-2007, 05:20 AM
You are in luck! I've just completed work on a new script that allows for the type of display you are seeking. Unfortunately it is not in the DD scripts library yet (I have no control over that). So, you will have to wade through the development notes and other commentary in this thread:

http://www.dynamicdrive.com/forums/showthread.php?t=15903

To save you some time, the array option you should use is (shown here with an example array):

var slides2=[];
//configure the below images and descriptions to your own.
slides2[0] = ["photo6.jpg", "Crucifix"];
slides2[1] = ["photo7.jpg", "Alter Boys"];
slides2[2] = ["photo8.jpg", "Young Pan"];
slides2[3] = ["photo9_thumb.jpg", "Mona Lisa"];
//optional properties for these images:
slides2.no_controls=1;

There are a host of other options laid out in post #3 of the above linked thread. The images may be linked as well, if desired.

mzevil
08-07-2007, 03:16 PM
You are in luck! I've just completed work on a new script that allows for the type of display you are seeking. Unfortunately it is not in the DD scripts library yet (I have no control over that). So, you will have to wade through the development notes and other commentary in this thread:

http://www.dynamicdrive.com/forums/showthread.php?t=15903

To save you some time, the array option you should use is (shown here with an example array):

var slides2=[];
//configure the below images and descriptions to your own.
slides2[0] = ["photo6.jpg", "Crucifix"];
slides2[1] = ["photo7.jpg", "Alter Boys"];
slides2[2] = ["photo8.jpg", "Young Pan"];
slides2[3] = ["photo9_thumb.jpg", "Mona Lisa"];
//optional properties for these images:
slides2.no_controls=1;

There are a host of other options laid out in post #3 of the above linked thread. The images may be linked as well, if desired.
Hi John,
I realize that you also have a modified version of the Ultimate Fade-In Slideshow script on your side. I was wondering if your scripts are also cross-browser compatible. If yes, can you tell me what browsers do the script support?

http://home.comcast.net/~jscheuer1/side/files/interactive_slide_oo_opcity_hvr.htm

Thanks!

jscheuer1
08-07-2007, 03:50 PM
All major modern browsers (Opera, FF, IE, Safari, probably many minor ones), with a simple slide show default fall-back in most older browsers.

kuau
09-01-2007, 07:53 PM
Dear John:

Forgive me if this is a dumb question (newbie), but I too would like to put a description under each image in the Ultimate Fade-in slideshow. Are you saying that to do that we need to use the code for the "Interactive image slideshow with text description" instead of the code for the Ultimate Fade-in Slideshow, and then add your code options for alt and title?

Also, I looked at Andy's javascript for the UFS and he has an alt tag showing when you hover over his images. I did the image code exactly as he did, but can't get that to work either. Here is my code...

fadeimages[0] =["/img/bregeda/a-new-dawn.jpg", "/art/a-new-dawn.php", "", "A New Dawn Giclee on Canvas"]

Your help would be greatly appreciated. Aloha, aaron

jscheuer1
09-02-2007, 01:59 AM
Dear John:

Forgive me if this is a dumb question (newbie), but I too would like to put a description under each image in the Ultimate Fade-in slideshow. Are you saying that to do that we need to use the code for the "Interactive image slideshow with text description" instead of the code for the Ultimate Fade-in Slideshow, and then add your code options for alt and title?

Also, I looked at Andy's javascript for the UFS and he has an alt tag showing when you hover over his images. I did the image code exactly as he did, but can't get that to work either. Here is my code...

fadeimages[0] =["/img/bregeda/a-new-dawn.jpg", "/art/a-new-dawn.php", "", "A New Dawn Giclee on Canvas"]

Your help would be greatly appreciated. Aloha, aaron

Yours is a new post in an old thread. The script you should use is this one:

http://www.dynamicdrive.com/dynamicindex14/swissarmy/index.htm

period. It doesn't need to be combined with anything else. Just follow the instructions on the demo page and you will be in business. If you have any problems, start a new thread in this section to ask for help on it.

kuau
09-02-2007, 02:21 PM
Dear John:

Thank you for steering me in the right direction & getting back to me so quickly. It being my first time in the forum, I don't know how to tell if the info has been supplanted by further developments. Because of that, it seems I did a lot of unnecessary reading of your development notes and exchanges. I must say, I think you are brilliant. I went to your website and you definitely have the requisite nuttiness to balance your intellect. :)

Anyway, I just wanted to make sure you were aware that your efforts are appreciated by very many people out there -- more than you know. I am very happy to have found you.

Aloha from Maui, aaron :)