PDA

View Full Version : text size help

DracutREALTOR
02-05-2005, 11:39 PM
Hello

I am having trouble with website viewing.
I have constructed a site using MS front page, It has multiple text boxes and images.

The problem is when viewed in the browser on medium text size (view, text size, medium) it looks great in all browsers

BUT

when text size is large or medium it gets all distorted.

Is there a way in FP to force all browsers to view my page with the medium setting?

Or perhaps a HTML tag I could insert for the same results.

Thanks In advance
Darin

mwinter
02-06-2005, 01:58 PM
I have constructed a site using MS front page,You shouldn't have. Frontpage is crap.

when text size is large or medium it gets all distorted.Then either your design, or your implementation of it, is flawed. Not everyone has the same settings as you: some will have larger or smaller fonts. Some will force a minimum size no matter what you might like (a feature available in decent browsers). You need to deal with that inevitability (http://www.allmyfaqs.com/faq.pl?AnySizeDesign) sensibly.

Is there a way in FP to force all browsers to view my page with the medium setting?No, nor should there ever be. You don't have the right, and thankfully the ability, to make such decisions for the user. Have you considered the fact that such resizing features are for the benefit of the user? Don't you think it's a good idea for someone with poor eyesight to be able to increase the size of your text so they can see it without straining?

Or perhaps a HTML tag I could insert for the same results.Again, no.

Thanks In advanceYou're welcome.

Mike

DracutREALTOR
02-06-2005, 02:23 PM
WOW............

Thanks for the input!

I am only trying to force the medium setting on the banner portion of my page, not the entire page.

Thought this would be a forum to ask for help, NOT to be lambasted for everything from choice of software to how I asked for help.

YOU HAVE A NICE DAY!!!

mwinter
02-06-2005, 02:49 PM
Thanks for the input!As I said, you're welcome.

I am only trying to force the medium setting on the banner portion of my page, not the entire page.And how was I to know that? Do you expect people to read minds? In any case, it doesn't change the substance of my post: you can't. Had you stated the above in the first place, I'd have left it at that.

Thought this would be a forum to ask for help,It is. However it doesn't mean you have to be handled with kid gloves. You should be able to handle criticism.

NOT to be lambasted for everything from choice of softwareI was merely pointing out that the choice was a bad one. Frontpage produces mark-up which is unsuitable for the Web.

to how I asked for help.I don't believe I made any comments on those lines. Somehow I feel you're overreacting.

YOU HAVE A NICE DAY!!!You can be sure I will.

Mike

cr3ative
02-06-2005, 03:34 PM
DracutREALTOR: You have to remember that a website should be flexible. When I say that, I mean that your website should fit the the user's browser, and not the other way around. Please be polite and respectful when posting.

Mike: Are there any WYSIWYG editors which do create valid markup (pref. opensource)? I seriously need to sort out my websites :/

cr3ative

mwinter
02-06-2005, 04:52 PM
Are there any WYSIWYG editors which do create valid markup (pref. opensource)?It's not so much a case of valid mark-up, but quality mark-up. I'm going to ramble for a bit, so I'll first say that the short answer is "No, I don't". I have no interest in using WYSIWYG software so I don't track its general progress. Sorry.

Anyway, on with the rant... :D

When you start positioning elements, the general result from a WYSIWYG editor is either a table or an absolutely-positioned div. Whilst the result might look good, neither of these things tend to be the sign of a well-developed site.

For a WYSIWYG program to produce semantically correct mark-up and optimal CSS, it would have to be remarkably advanced. It would also be less "user-friendly". I can't imagine the general market of these products being professionals but rather the amateur trying to knock up a simple home page. Though good quality, accessible code is always a good thing, if it's a personal site with very little traffic, who cares?

Besides, considering the quality of the sites for the companies that make these tools, I doubt the big players will ever get it right. It would probably be the Open Source community that would aim for best practice-like output, but as I said, I don't keep track. That said, if such a product was produced, I'm sure I'd read about it on the various HTML-related newsgroups.

I seriously need to sort out my websites :/What is it exactly that you're trying to sort out and why?

Mike

cr3ative
02-06-2005, 04:56 PM
Well, I'm proud to say I just got www.serberus.r8.org to validate properly, both HTML and CSS.
/ed: But it doesn't any more.

However, www.afpsupport.r8.org needs a heck of a lot of work doing to it to make it validate. I think I will be better off making myself a new template.

cr3ative

jb005
03-23-2005, 06:35 PM
Wow, for future replies to postings, I would remind all that people ask questions to find answers, not to be told they are idiots. I for one will not post a question if I believe I will receive the same level of indignation.

cr3ative
03-23-2005, 06:41 PM
Well, it should be noted that:

The question was very vague - No link to the page was given, not enough details
mwinter is an extremely knowledgable member, but in his own words, he can be a little terse sometimes - however this is nearly always justified.
The information the user was seeking was probably to be found on Google Groups or just by searching.
Probably over 80% of threads submitted which get replies end up with a successful solution being found.

Thanks for understanding.
cr3

mwinter
03-23-2005, 09:21 PM
Wow, [...]Someone else who wants to overreact, eh?

I would remind all that people ask questions to find answers,The OP was given an answer - the only answer there was for the question: no. It could have been delivered less harshly, but I was labouring under the misapprehension that the OP was trying to prevent users from controling their own settings. I find that particularly grievous. If the OP provided the information given in a later post, I wouldn't have been so blunt. As I said at the time, I can't read minds.

not to be told they are idiots.Who called anyone an idiot? In fact, where were any insults leveled at anyone? (I aimed one at FrontPage, but that doesn't count. :rolleyes: )

I for one will not post a question if I believe I will receive the same level of indignation.Assuming you're referring to indignity (humiliating treatment), again you're overreacting. I haven't humiliated anyone. It's also unfair to label an entire community based on (what you perceive as) insults from one person.

In any case, if you're that terrified of me, state in your post that you don't want my help and I won't give it. It doesn't bother. I'm inclined not to answer you anyway.

Mike

TheBigT
03-24-2005, 03:48 AM
A reply to the first poster... here is a very informative article on font sizes and some information. I would also like to say don't use frontpage. You are better off using dreamweaver or something. You can create css sheaets and everything in there. Well yes here is the page for css and such for fonts.
http://www.w3.org/QA/Tips/font-size
Enjoy. BTW it is better to read articles and search for stuff on Google first because you can learn a lot that way.

astralrose
03-25-2005, 06:02 PM
Are there any WYSIWYG editors which do create valid markup (pref. opensource)? I seriously need to sort out my websites :/

cr3ative

Yes the new dreamweaver mx gives valid coding although I hang with mike writing your own is best as it is easier to trouble shoot.

regards
Donna