PDA

View Full Version : Anylink Drop Down Menu - help required

monique
01-02-2007, 04:44 PM
1) Script Title: Anylink Drop Down Menu

2) Script URL (on DD): http://www.dynamicdrive.com/dynamicindex1/dropmenuindex.htm

3) Describe problem:

See following website for design and code: http://www.watubedoelt.nl. Note this is still under construction and most links don't work yet! The links that should work now are:

main menu: "home" with submenu's "wie ben ik?" and "wat schreef ik al"
main menu: "laten schrijven" with submenu "brieven"
main menu: "contact" (no submenu)

See also a previous thread about the same problem (http://www.dynamicdrive.com/forums/showthread.php?t=13949&highlight=monique), but note that the link to the website used at that time doesn't exist any longer.

The idea is that the submenu should be shown vertical and above the main menu when hovering the mouse over the main menu.

(1) The first problem is that when you open the page and move the mouse over the main menu to see the submenu, it seems very "unstable". I looked at the site in all main browsers, and everywhere the submenu is shown differently first (higher, down in stead of up, ...) before it seems to stabelize and find it's correct place. Very, very strange. :confused:

(2) The problem is that somehow the main menu buttons doesn't work. Of course I did my best to find the reason for this mistake, but somehow I seem not to be able to find it. Very, very strange too. :confused:

Can someone help me please?

Thanks and have a nice day.

Monique

ddadmin
01-03-2007, 04:45 AM
Hi Monique:
Regarding your questions:

1) Actually, from what I can tell, the menus do drop down consistently in the right place across browsers. The problem from what I can tell is your use of the images within the menu items- they seem to take a while to download, which means the script cannot accurately determine the true height of the menu until all the images have fully loaded. Before that happens (a few seconds, maybe more), the menu will not be positioned correctly. The solution is either to optimize the images so they load as fast as possible, or try using just text for the menu items.

2) If you want the main menu items to act as links as well, just remove the "onclick" portion within each menu item's HTML:

<a href="default.htm" onClick="return clickreturnvalue()" onMouseover="dropdownmenu(this, event, menu1, '150px')" onMouseout="delayhidemenu()">Web Design</a>

The part in red should be removed.

monique
01-11-2007, 04:57 PM
Dear ddadmin,

Thanks for your advice. It helped, but unfortunately my problems have not 100% been solved yet. :(

1) I reduced the size of the pictures in the menu drastically, but I've noticed that it still causes (small but irritating) problems in where the submenu is shown when hovering the mouse over the main menu. Is there another solution maybe - apart from using text instead of images? The person I developped this site for definitely required images... :o

2) This issue is now okay, although I have seen in browsers like FF, NS and Opera that the images only show (and activate) the link when you hover at the top side of the image. What could cause this and how can I solve it?

Thanks again and best regards,
Monique :)

monique
01-20-2007, 01:51 PM
Hello, hello, is there someone who could help me with this please?

:confused: :o :(

Thanks,
Monique

jscheuer1
01-20-2007, 04:04 PM
Preloading the images would probably take care of this:

<script type="text/javascript">
function preload_menu_images(){

//Enter your menu images (and paths, if any) in the preloads array:
var preloads=['image_1.jpg', 'image_2.jpg'];

/////////// Stop Editing ////////////

var loadem=function(im){
var pimg=new Image();
pimg.src=im;
}
for (var i_tem = 0; i_tem < preloads.length; i_tem++)
loadem(preloads[i_tem]);
}
preload_menu_images();
</script>

monique
02-18-2007, 07:41 PM
Finally had time to look at this. I am afraid nothing really seems to help to get a 100&#37; good result...

In the end I think I will try to convince them to use text in stead of images if they still don't like it the way it is now...