PDA

View Full Version : Changing positions of objects

Peppy
02-04-2005, 08:26 PM
Hi Mike - here I am again.

Just a little help needed.

I added a link and a counter to my page - I could do this by my self :rolleyes: .

But now I want to change the position of them - more to the page bottom.

I guess it's something like top:200;

But I don't knwo what I have to add - divs?

Thank you for your help.

mwinter
02-04-2005, 09:37 PM
I want to change the position of them - more to the page bottom.There are two ways to do this: the easy way and the proper way.

First of all, I'll explain (in case you weren't aware) why these new elements are at the top of the page instead of near the bottom where they appear in the source. Most, if not all, of the other parts of your page are absolutely-positioned div elements (what Macromedia annoyingly term "layers"). When you give an element (and it can be any element, not just divs) the CSS property/value pair, "position: absolute", that element is taken out of the normal flow of the page. This means that elements that occur after the positioned element are laid-out as if it didn't even exist.

Now you can continue this policy: absolutely-position the elements (either directly or by wrapping the new content in a div). It would certainly solve the problem - for now. If you add even more content, you're going to have to continue to fudge the rest of the layout ad nauseam.

The alternative is to re-work the page, removing the absolute positioning. You can still achieve the same layout but without the hacks (and it isn't hard to accomplish). At the present moment, my dial-up connection is under massive load so an example is out of the question. However if you're interested, I'll produce one as soon as I can (tomorrow afternoon [GMT] at the very earliest).

I guess it's something like top:200;If you continue the positioning approach, almost. Length values other than zero (0) must have a unit: 200px.

Mike

Peppy
02-04-2005, 11:09 PM
Hi Mike!
I am glad you answered!

in case you weren't awareNope - I wasn't - but through your advice I come to grips bit by bit ! :)

If you add even more contentNo I won't - for sure!
Thats why I will choose the easy way - this time. :rolleyes:
If there is a next time - I'll do it the proper way - from the beginning!

..., I'll produce one as soon as I can (tomorrow afternoon [GMT] at the very earliest). Thank you, but that will not be necessary - just help me with the line!

I could bring the link down (<div id="Grtf42" style="position:absolute;left:482px;top:580px;class="dfltt"><font face="Monotype Corsiva" class="fsx04" color="#800000"><a href="http://free.pages.at/lifeisbutadream/Dean/">more</a> <br></font></div>), but not the counter.

I tried:
<div style="position:absolute;left:682px;top:580px;</div>

But that was not good, the counter and the link disappeared. :eek:

I guess I positioned it wrong!

mwinter
02-05-2005, 09:37 AM
I could bring the link down ([mark-up]), but not the counter.You can do pretty much the same thing but you have to make sure you wrap all of relevant content in the div. However, that's fairly easy: place the opening tag before the

<!-- Start of StatCounter Code -->comment and the closing tag after the second StatCounter comment.

<div id="Grtf42" style="position:absolute;left:482px;top:580px;class="dfltt">You didn't close the style attribute properly. Notice the missing double quote before the class attribute.

I tried:
<div style="position:absolute;left:682px;top:580px;</div>Here you missed the right angle bracket (> or ETAGO) at the end of the div element's opening tag.

I expect that if you correct those errors, everything should be fine.

Mike

Peppy
02-05-2005, 11:34 AM
GOT IT!

Took me some tries to find out what is the 'second comment' and
I did also forget the " after the second style line.
(<div style="position:absolute;left:682px;top:580px;</div)

THANKS AGAIN A LOT :D

Peppy