PDA

View Full Version : Photoshop CS3 Help

GhettoT
12-28-2006, 05:12 AM
Hi, I recently installed PS CS3, and now, when I go to use it, I have a very strange problem. When I am trying to add color to a file (by using anything from the pain bucket (fill tool), pencil, brush, etc...) the color always shows up as a gray color. I can choose different colors, but once I click "OK" in the color picker, the color changes back to a gray color. Any ideas how to fix this problem? Did I simply make some stupid error in my preferences? Any help would be awesome! And yes, I do realize this software is still BETA but I just wanna make sure this is/isn't a bug before I complain or anything to Adobe...

PS:
I tried to post on the Adobe/PhotoShop forums but it won't let me register...

Kenny
01-01-2007, 01:21 PM
My PAINT program does the same thing. What I have to do is create a rainbow color bar and place it in the image by screen capture.
Then I pick a color and go to work. When finished, I must crop the image to remove the rainbow palette.

Twey
01-01-2007, 02:05 PM
I don't use Photoshop, but it sounds as if the image is indexed, and the colour you want isn't in it. Try setting it to RGB mode.

GhettoT
01-02-2007, 02:11 AM
Yup! that is the quick fix. I just have to change it to RBG!

djr33
01-02-2007, 11:29 PM
Sounds like you've got it solved, but I've had the same thing happen before.
It might not be indexing, but could just be set to greyscale. Either way, switching to RGB mode usually fixes it just fine.

Twey
01-02-2007, 11:54 PM
I think greyscale is implemented in most formats as an indexed image with two colours. I may be wrong, though.

djr33
01-03-2007, 07:15 PM
In photoshop, anyway, it's at least 256 shades of grey.

Twey
01-03-2007, 08:50 PM
Sorry, yes, I'm thinking of black-and-white imagery. Still, the same applies.

djr33
01-04-2007, 07:02 AM
Yeah. Black and white quickly alerts you to its presense ;) Everything starts looking like random block shapes.

Twey
01-04-2007, 04:15 PM
Depends on the resolution. A high-resolution black-and-white image displayed with anti-aliasing (or on a very high-res monitor) can look as good as greyscale, or even be displayed as greyscale, in the case of the anti-aliasing.