PDA

View Full Version : Javascript interfering with mouse functions??

maverik
02-03-2005, 12:00 PM
Hi,

I've been building websites for some years and although I am a designer rather than a programmer I do understand a bit of html and java. I have a problem with a recent site where the client has stated that some people viewing the site have complained that they have no left mouse function i.e the left mouse button does not operate any of the links.

I've tried to isolate more details about the circumstances but this is difficult with none technical customers. The affected computers are Windows based and appear to be running XP in some form (probably the domestic version).

I have checked the site on a 4 years old Intel 500mhz running 98c (my base machine - deliberately old to test compatibility) and it works fine. It works fine on the Macs single button mouse also.

I work on a Mac and built the site using Dreamweaver 4 under OS 9 which I still use predominantly for my professional work as it has served me well for the last 4 years. I built another site the same month (November) and that is also fine (well no complaints received yet).

The only thing I can think of is that I put into the pages a couple of small animations using a 3rd party java applet. These simply revolve a series of 30pixel product images for a bit of interest. They have an image fade on them but otherwise they don't link or do any thing else fancy. Files size wise the impact is minimal. The rest of the site is entirely Dreamweaver with files optimised in Fireworks.

Any help or leads will be greatly appreciated - this is driving me mad!!

maverik

maverik
02-06-2005, 05:30 PM
OKay - no one has replied after 2/3 days. Thats Okay.

Can I extend the issue then please - Has anyone had a problem with mouse functions affected by a website they have programmed. I know that you can programme into HTML extended desktops functions like a link or script activation through a particularly key i.e. if someone presses the letter 'H' on their keyboard whilst on your web page an action occurs.

Is there anything I may have done compiling the page in Dreamweaver which might be creating a conflict with the java rollovers/click actions on the menu buttons, or a conflict for some end users Windows set-up/mouse set up?

Any comments will be appreciated - it may not be an issue with my code but with their system - I'm in the dark at the moment.

mwinter
02-06-2005, 10:52 PM
OKay - no one has replied after 2/3 days. Thats Okay.I honestly can't think of anything. Are you able to post a link to the site? You said they are using Windows. Presumably they're using IE6 also - correct? Finally, what exactly were they doing? Just attempting to activate any of the links on the page?

Mike