PDA

View Full Version : Photos covering dropdowns

JudyR1234
12-21-2006, 11:31 PM
1) Script Title: Dynamic Drive DHTML for photo rotation

2) Script URL (on DD): http://www.dynamicdrive.com/dynamicindex14/fadeinslideshow.htm

(Older version)

3) Describe problem:

I have 9 photos rotating on the website index page and dropdown menus are being hidden by the photos being rotated in Safari and IE on a MAC.

Help please, how can I fix this? website address: http://www.newenglandvillage.org

Judy Randall

jscheuer1
12-22-2006, 05:59 AM
I hope you didn't pay money for that menu. Anyways, the z-index of the drop downs are too low to show over the images in those browsers. I cannot be certain, as I do not have any of the browsers that you mentioned on the OS's that you mention but, after a bit of sleuthing, it appears that the base z-index (in Opera and FF by separate scripts, at least and therefore probably in all browsers, each by its own script) is set by a variable called 191. As long as that variable is reset higher before the menu is created here:

<script vqptag="placement" vqp_menuid="350848" language="JavaScript">create_menu(350848)</script>

Things may work out. To do that, put this in just before where the above create call is in your source code, like so:

<script vqptag="placement" vqp_menuid="350848" language="JavaScript">191=10000;create_menu(350848)</script>

But, there is no way to be certain that this will not be overridden by the menu script. This is you best shot at it. Otherwise, just move the slideshow away from the drop downs. You cannot adjust the z-index in the slideshow as, it requires constantly escalating z-index values in order to work. The menu is the place to take care of this as, its z-index can be static, it is simply too low in the default code. By starting the menu at 10000, it would take 10000 image changes before the images would again cover the drop downs. Not likely to happen too often.

Your other alternative, unless you have access to these values in the menu yourself, would be to request that open cube adjust the values for you in their code.