PDA

View Full Version : Tab Content Script Problem (random occurance)

akulion
12-21-2006, 05:59 PM
1) Script Title: Tab Content Script

2) Script URL (on DD): http://www.dynamicdrive.com/dynamicindex17/tabcontent.htm

3) Describe problem:
The script itself is working fine, however at times it fails to start some of the tabed content up. I have a layout set up using 3 different tabbed interfaces ( http://path-to-peace.com/forum ) - most times it loads fine, but suddenly sometimes only the User block will work but the welcome block and recent posts block stops working totally.

And then without any change, it starts back up on another page load.

Up to now 3 of my users have reported this and I have experienced it myself once. I have been trying to figure out what could be causing this but to no avail.

I would like some input in to what could possibly be causing this problem to ocur at random times and also input into if this script is set up properly on my page.

Also I did a search before posting this and I was wondering if my problem could be linked to this issue, since I am using different sized tabbed blocks and with different numbers as well:
http://www.dynamicdrive.com/forums/showthread.php?t=15841&highlight=Content+Script

And suggestions / help / input will be appretiated

Also if you need to login you can use this test account:
user: test
pass: test
please dont post using this account since this is a live forum, thanks

Thanks
aku

ddadmin
12-21-2006, 11:43 PM
Are these users all using the same type of browser (ie: IE)? By looking at your page it's hard to tell, though I would start by removing the countdown script:

<script type="text/javascript">
var futuredate=new cdtime("countdowncontainer", "December 30, 2006 23:59:00")
"
"

It generates an error in Firefox.

akulion
12-22-2006, 03:55 AM
Well thats the thing, the Countdown script is something I put up before the tab content script. No one reported any errors and I also tested it with IE, Opera and FF and it worked just fine.

In fact even the Tabbed content is working correctly 90% of the time - but there is a random occurance of it not working every now and then, which is what is confusing me.

However I will take your advice and disable the script and check for a whole day to see if it makes a difference - and also ask my team members to keep an eye to see if the error occurs for them or not.

Thanks for the feedback - I just hope I can get this problem pinned.

Aku

ddadmin
12-22-2006, 10:49 AM
Yep I understand, though that's unfortunately the process to debugging the more obscure issues- start from the top and elimate the obvious problems first. For me, in Firefox, that means the countdown script.

jscheuer1
12-22-2006, 04:41 PM
Well, just from a design perspective, the page looks very nice! It would be a safe bet though to remove all code for that random thing that floats around the page. I can guarantee that it irritates close to 99% of users viewing the page and, it just might be part of your technical problem.

akulion
12-23-2006, 07:58 AM
lool yea that random floating thing is actually something I put there just for fun so it can definitely go bye-bye!

Thanks for the feedback and also thanks for all the amazing scripts which are widely used on my pages everywhere I make one :D