PDA

View Full Version : Snow Flakes

Masterskinnie
12-19-2006, 06:05 PM
1) Script Title: How do I change the size of the flakes?

2) Script URL (on DD): http://www.dynamicdrive.com/dynamicindex3/snownoimages.htm

3) Describe problem: I want to make the snowflakes bigger

Splashbrooke
12-19-2006, 06:07 PM
Change the image?

Masterskinnie
12-19-2006, 08:52 PM
I mean the one without images that just have all the small white dots going on your screen

Splashbrooke
12-19-2006, 09:30 PM
Havnt instaleld it so im not sure which..

but it is either one fo these:

h = rh - 2;
w = rw - 2;
}

else{
h = r.clientHeight - 2;
w = r.clientWidth - 2;
}
}

Probs boths.. try changing them to 10 and see what happens and let me know..

Thats is your snow.js file batherway:)

jscheuer1
12-20-2006, 07:18 AM
Nothing much, those calculations involve the dimensions of the window.

One thing you have to realize with this script is that the 'snowflakes' are just divisions. If they get too big, you will see that they are square. There is a little wiggle room though, at least at 1440 x 900 res. At lower resolutions, any increase of size would probably make their square shape readily apparent.

If you want to go ahead, replace this:

document.write('<div id="flake'+(idx+i)+'" style="position:absolute;top:0px;left:0px;width:'
+sfs[i]+'px;height:'+sfs[i]+'px;background-color:#ffffff;font-size:'+sfs[i]+'px"><\/div>');

with:

document.write('<div id="flake'+(idx+i)+'" style="position:absolute;top:0px;left:0px;width:'
+Math.floor(sfs[i]*1.5)+'px;height:'+Math.floor(sfs[i]*1.5)+'px;background-color:#ffffff;font-size:'+sfs[i]+'px"><\/div>');

This will basically make them 50% larger. If you use 2 instead of 1.5, they will be twice as big but, at that size, even on my relatively hi-res monitor, they looked more like ice cubes or dandruff than snowflakes.

My suggestion would be to use a script with images if you want them much larger.

snoopybabydoll
12-20-2006, 10:53 AM
Is there a way that I can save this snow as a gif?

jscheuer1
12-20-2006, 03:30 PM
Is there a way that I can save this snow as a gif?

You don't really mean that, do you? If you do, you could do a screen capture (in Windows hit Ctrl-PrtSc) and paste the result into an image program. Crop as desired and save as a .gif.

Masterskinnie
12-20-2006, 05:57 PM
Thanx, i did not want them that much bigger, just bigger than little dots, but I can figure the rest out with the script I gave.

snoopybabydoll
12-20-2006, 07:23 PM
You don't really mean that, do you? If you do, you could do a screen capture (in Windows hit Ctrl-PrtSc) and paste the result into an image program. Crop as desired and save as a .gif.

It didn't work. I really would like to save the snow somehow. It's beautiful, but the Ctrl-PrtSc did not work for me. Is there another way that I can save it? I just love the snow because it's simple and real whereas the other snowflakes are kinda unrealistic.

By the way, thanks for getting back to me.

jscheuer1
12-20-2006, 11:39 PM
It didn't work. I really would like to save the snow somehow. It's beautiful, but the Ctrl-PrtSc did not work for me. Is there another way that I can save it? I just love the snow because it's simple and real whereas the other snowflakes are kinda unrealistic.

By the way, thanks for getting back to me.

Oh, I'm sorry then and I gave you the wrong information. You just need to hit PrtSc by itself to capture a screen image. Otherwise, what I told you will work. I don't know what I was thinking, it hasn't been like what I told you since DOS. (slaps his forehead)

snoopybabydoll
12-22-2006, 06:24 AM
Oh, I'm sorry then and I gave you the wrong information. You just need to hit PrtSc by itself to capture a screen image. Otherwise, what I told you will work. I don't know what I was thinking, it hasn't been like what I told you since DOS. (slaps his forehead)

Thanks for getting back to me again John. Unfortunately that didn't work either. Maybe my PrntScrn button is not working on my laptop :(

It's alright. I do appreciate your help though! I guess for now, all I can do is just cherish it by looking at it.

Thanks again for all your help! :)

jscheuer1
12-22-2006, 05:00 PM
Thanks for getting back to me again John. Unfortunately that didn't work either. Maybe my PrntScrn button is not working on my laptop :(

It's alright. I do appreciate your help though! I guess for now, all I can do is just cherish it by looking at it.

Thanks again for all your help! :)

Well that does work but, then you have to paste it into an image program and work with it from there. Some image programs will clear the clip buffer onload so, it would be a good idea to have your image program running first. If you still have no luck, here are some nice snow images:

http://images.google.com/images?svnum=10&hl=en&lr=&client=opera&rls=en&q=snowflakes&btnG=Search

http://snowflakebentley.com/00011.gif