PDA

View Full Version : Favicons

ko_tish
12-19-2006, 07:44 AM
Favicons
I know how to create favicons, but I'm not sure how to get them to be transparent. Can anyone give me instructions?
I generally use Irfanview to make my.ico files, but I do have Photoshop and can download the plug-in if necessary.

Skinnybobb
12-19-2006, 10:03 AM
I think with photoshop you can choose the dropper then click on the color you want to be transparent then press delete on the keyboard.
Save this as a gif.

Then use the lovely favicon generator here at dynamic drive.

Cheers
SB

BLiZZaRD
12-19-2006, 10:21 AM
Does .gif support transparency through file changes? I am sure .png does, not sure about gif though...

mwinter
12-19-2006, 01:12 PM
Does .gif support transparency through file changes?

I'm not sure what you mean by "through file changes".

Mike

BLiZZaRD
12-19-2006, 03:47 PM
He wanted to save as a gif, then change to an ico. Similar to me saving a .bmp file then changing its ext to .jpg I can do this, but it still loads from bottom up, etc. Doing such things can cause losses in attributes etc. I was just wondering if .gif would be effected.

mwinter
12-19-2006, 05:31 PM
He wanted to save as a gif, then change to an ico. Similar to me saving a .bmp file then changing its ext to .jpg I can do this, but it still loads from bottom up, etc. Doing such things can cause losses in attributes etc. I was just wondering if .gif would be effected.

Changing the extension is far from the same as changing the file. The only reason for the behaviour that you observe is that the browser recognises the header for a bitmap, rather than a JPEG, and loads it appropriately. The FavIcon generator should recreate the file in an ICO format.

Mike

BLiZZaRD
12-19-2006, 06:12 PM
Okay, I wasn't sure, thats why I asked :)

Arctic Fox
12-20-2006, 02:55 AM
Favicons
I know how to create favicons, but I'm not sure how to get them to be transparent. Can anyone give me instructions?
I generally use Irfanview to make my.ico files, but I do have Photoshop and can download the plug-in if necessary.

Irfanview has a 'colour' block. The one that's gray with a dot in the middle is the "transparent" colour.

techno_race
04-18-2007, 02:22 AM
I use Axialis IconWorkshop.