PDA

View Full Version : Break out frame thumbnail viewer

chechu
12-17-2006, 04:31 PM
1) Script Title: Image Thumbnail viewer

2) Script URL (on DD): http://www.dynamicdrive.com/dynamicindex4/thumbnail.htm

3) Describe problem:
Would it be possible to have the popping up image braking out of frames ? I would like to place a larger image popping up, but as I work with <iframe>, it stays in it, and so I have to scroll to see the whole image.

chechu
12-17-2006, 04:35 PM
Is the same possible for the following as well ?
http://www.dynamicdrive.com/dynamicindex4/lightbox/index.htm

jscheuer1
12-17-2006, 07:13 PM
It is interesting that you use the term 'break out'. Generally, this is used to refer to a page breaking out of frames to become the new top page. I think what you meant was to allow the content on a page in an iframe to appear over its parent page while both pages remain loaded in the browser.

This is probably possible but, I'm not sure how and, it might not be. There is only one script that I know of that does anything like this, the HV Menu, which can drop a menu item across frames. I've never been able to figure out how that was done though, it might not be transferable to this anyway.

Getting back to the usual meaning of 'breaking out' of frames - You could do that at any time with either of these scripts. Getting back into the frame afterward could be done too. For either script, it would be a customized solution and probably require the reloading of either the top page, the content page or both pages. Also while 'broken out', the top page would not be there at all.

The easiest thing would be to redesign the page to not require the iframe.

chechu
12-17-2006, 09:56 PM
The easiest thing would be to redesign the page to not require the iframe.

How do I do this ? I need a bg-img to be static, while scrollable. I have seen it somewhere using divs.
Need help on this one, because I want to get rid of these iframes.

jscheuer1
12-17-2006, 10:29 PM
The basic scrolling division is:

<div style="width:100px;height:200px;overflow:auto;">
Got some content here. Got some content here. Got some content here. Got some content here. Got some content here. Got some content here. Got some content here. Got some content here. Got some content here. Got some content here. Got some content here. Got some content here. Got some content here. Got some content here. Got some content here.
</div>

Notice the style. By limiting the width and height and setting the overflow to auto, the division's content will be scrollable in one or two dimensions if it overflows the size of the division. These are usually most pleasing when they only scroll vertically, as will this example, unless an incredibly large font size is set in the browser or its content is altered. To virtually ensure vertical scrolling only, all you need to do is be sure that the content in the division can wrap to less than the division's width.

chechu
12-18-2006, 12:40 PM
Thanks a lot !
So I do not need <iframes> anymore, and can have the lightbox ! Great !