PDA

View Full Version : Disabling Javascript in IE

dog
12-08-2006, 11:54 PM
Simple question but I can't seem to find the answer:

Where do I go to disable javascript in IE?

I'm using IE 6 and can't seem to find the option. :o I just want to check how the page would look without javascript enabled.

Thanks

dog

djr33
12-09-2006, 12:56 AM
I'm on my mac right now, so I can't tell you the exact location, but I'm quite sure it's in the preferences, under the advanced tab, somewhere in that long list of checkboxes. IE isn't trying to be for advanced users, so they try to hide options like that :p

dog
12-09-2006, 01:19 AM
if only the long list wasn't in Portuguese. I guess that's one of the few down sides to working from Brasil.
:p

djr33
12-09-2006, 03:39 AM
Find one in english, compare, and do the same.
Or translate the phrase with google.

jscheuer1
12-09-2006, 03:48 AM
Portuguese, hmm. I don't know where you would find it in that language but, it probably is in the same location as in the US English version, just with different labels.

There is an easier way to check your page's appearance without javascript in IE 6 though. If you create a local copy of the page, even if it uses scripts that are on the web, it will not run them in IE unless it has the 'mark of the web'* on it or unless you click yes to running active X.

When viewing a page live on the web, if you wish to disable javascript in IE 6, do this:

Tools > Internet Options > Security (tab) > Custom Level (button) > (scroll to) Scripting

Scripting is near the bottom, one of its sub headings is for 'Active Scripting'. Check 'disabled' click OK and all that stuff, javascript will be disabled. To re-enable check 'enable'.

Disabling javascript in this manner (for live pages) will not disable it for local pages. For that, the first method (not clicking on allow active X) will work. However, this only works in a browser window that you haven't already clicked yes to active X for local pages.

*The 'mark of the web' looks something like so:

<!-- saved from url=(0014)about:internet -->

and would be near the top of a local page.

dog
12-11-2006, 07:41 PM
Thanks professors!

That helps a lot!! :D

Just so that everybody know... they are in the same place for brazilian versions.

Cheers!