PDA

View Full Version : Omnislide help

Masterskinnie
12-07-2006, 06:33 PM
1) Script Title: Omnislide help or walkthrough

2) Script URL (on DD): http://www.dynamicdrive.com/dynamicindex1/omnislide/index.htm

3) Describe problem: I sort of walked into this one not knowing what to do and a walkthrough of setting up my page would be helpful.

jscheuer1
12-07-2006, 06:44 PM
Where's the:

Include . . . and a link to your page or the code from the file(s) involved or at least a few lines above and below the 'error' line.

??

Masterskinnie
12-08-2006, 04:23 PM
Where's the:

??

Well, I copied and pasted the entire script from the file properties.htm
That is what I thought I was supposed to do with it is follow the script as you gave it and that it already had its links to mmenu.js and menuItems.js

So starting:
<script type="text/javascript">
id:"menu1", // A unique id is REQUIRED for each menu

menupos:"left", // Menu position - left, top, or right
keepinview:30, // For left and right menus and only with kviewtype:'absolute', - distance from top after page has scrolled beyond menutop - may optionally be set to true or false. Using true will have the menu maintain its menutop position during page scroll, false will prevent the menu from following page scroll. Top menus will always follow page scroll.
kviewtype:'absolute', // The method used to keep menu visible when page is scrolled - 'fixed' or 'absolute'. Fixed will not appear to move at all, staying completely stationary in relation to the window's frame, while 'absolute' will follow scrolling in a fluid motion: defaults to 'absolute' (floating) unless menu is top menu. 'fixed' is overridden in browsers that do not support it. For a menu that appears in the normal flow of the page, use 'absolute' here and false for keepinview (see previous).

Red is where the line of the problem is.
Blue is the chracters that have a problem
After or before which FP says there is to be a ;
FF says .............. goes before "left"
I think it says that because it does not know what is to be there.

Again I thank you for helping me with this script.
I am working on a website for a community school district.
I thought this would be useful for what I want to do with it.

Also, I seen a help by BMHSGamers for help on the omnislide.
only if you would like to help him, too.

Masterskinnie
12-08-2006, 04:48 PM
I think I'm getting what I am supposed to do know. I've read a bit of javascript but it was only really the basics of it and I have not yet finished reading. I started learning it thanks to htmlgoodies.com (http://www.htmlgoodies.com)
This is my major email if you have anything to send to me masterskinnie@yahoo.com
or, use my DD mail

jscheuer1
12-08-2006, 06:37 PM
I see the main problem. The file 'properties.htm' is just a manual. You aren't supposed to use it as a template or copy it, it is just an explanation of the meaning of the properties. The template files are:

menuItems.js
demo.htm

You do not need to edit mmenu.js to customize the menu, leave it alone but, it must be in the directory with the other two files, it is the script engine. The menuItems.js file is where you can make your customizations, it is the configuration file. The demo.htm can be your HTML file, you can add your other content (other things like images and text that you want to have be on the page, not on the menu) to its body section.

Masterskinnie
12-08-2006, 08:10 PM
I see the main problem. The file 'properties.htm' is just a manual. You aren't supposed to use it as a template or copy it, it is just an explanation of the meaning of the properties. The template files are:

menuItems.js
demo.htm

You do not need to edit mmenu.js to customize the menu, leave it alone but, it must be in the directory with the other two files, it is the script engine. The menuItems.js file is where you can make your customizations, it is the configuration file. The demo.htm can be your HTML file, you can add your other content (other things like images and text that you want to have be on the page, not on the menu) to its body section.

Thanks a lot. As I said, I am still very new to javascript.

Masterskinnie
12-11-2006, 05:57 PM
Can I have multiple slide in menus on the same side of the page?

If So, How do I do it?

In Thanks I will send you a copy of the page file I used it on.

jscheuer1
12-11-2006, 06:07 PM
Yes, set it up so that they have different positions in the menuItems.js config file. For the left side, for example, you would use different menutop values. Be sure to leave enough extra room between them vertically to accommodate different user's text size settings (which would change the overall height of each given menu).

purifier
12-12-2006, 11:42 AM
I am actually trying to use this script on an Invision forum. However, it shows me only the right panel and not the other two panels. May I know what could be wrong? I'm unable to even troubleshoot because I'm new to Javascript... :( Please Help...

jscheuer1
12-12-2006, 02:54 PM
I am actually trying to use this script on an Invision forum. However, it shows me only the right panel and not the other two panels. May I know what could be wrong? I'm unable to even troubleshoot because I'm new to Javascript... :( Please Help...

It generally is better to start your own thread, rather than complicate someone else's, especially when they haven't gotten things sorted out yet. But, too late for that now, it would be double posting so, we will work with it here.

I would need a link to your problem page to see what's going on. Probably just an error in the configuration but, there could be something(s) about your page that prevent the other menus from showing.

Masterskinnie
12-12-2006, 04:34 PM
It generally is better to start your own thread, rather than complicate someone else's, especially when they haven't gotten things sorted out yet. But, too late for that now, it would be double posting so, we will work with it here.

I would need a link to your problem page to see what's going on. Probably just an error in the configuration but, there could be something(s) about your page that prevent the other menus from showing.

Sure, The Link is http://west-bend.k12.ia.us/wbmnew/speech/Largegroup3.htm

Or if you want to see menuItems.js -- http://www.west-bend.k12.ia.us/wbmnew/speech/menuItems.js

I believe I said I was doing it on a page for a school district. I found the script and thought it to be neat and useful for what I am doing. I am also going to be using the script again for the main page.
http://west-bend.k12.ia.us

And again thanks.:D

Masterskinnie
12-12-2006, 04:40 PM

Did you delete the other two panels off the original, or changed their original positions:menupos:"left";,

Just an example.

But both would do it. If the first one is the problem just copy the script of your right panel and change menupos:
in menuItems.js

Otherwise just change the menupos: no copying needed.

jscheuer1
12-12-2006, 04:57 PM
Sure, The Link is http://west-bend.k12.ia.us/wbmnew/speech/Largegroup3.htm

Or if you want to see menuItems.js -- http://www.west-bend.k12.ia.us/wbmnew/speech/menuItems.js

I believe I said I was doing it on a page for a school district. I found the script and thought it to be neat and useful for what I am doing. I am also going to be using the script again for the main page.
http://west-bend.k12.ia.us

And again thanks.:D

It's like I said:

Yes, set it up so that they have different positions in the menuItems.js config file. For the left side, for example, you would use different menutop values. Be sure to leave enough extra room between them vertically to accommodate different user's text size settings (which would change the overall height of each given menu).

So for one, you could use:

menu[1] = {
id:'menu2', //use unique quoted id (quoted) REQUIRED!!
menutop:10,
bartext:'RIGHT MENU',
menupos:'right',
kviewtype:'fixed',
menuItems:[ // REQUIRED!!
//[name, link, tar . . .

and then in the next:

menutop:200,

and so on. The way you have it now, all of your right menus are piled up in one spot.

purifier
12-12-2006, 05:10 PM
Thank you so much sir and sorry at the same time. I thought because my problem dealt with the same script, I could post my problem here itself because I observed the other poster's problem was almost solved. Sorry again.

Coming to my problem, I didn't test the script on my real site but on my local server. I just pasted what all was given in the demo.html into the Header and Footer Section of Invision Board. After that what I observed was that only the right slide menu was being shown and the top and left are not even visible.

jscheuer1
12-12-2006, 05:36 PM
Thank you so much sir and sorry at the same time. I thought because my problem dealt with the same script, I could post my problem here itself because I observed the other poster's problem was almost solved. Sorry again.

Coming to my problem, I didn't test the script on my real site but on my local server. I just pasted what all was given in the demo.html into the Header and Footer Section of Invision Board. After that what I observed was that only the right slide menu was being shown and the top and left are not even visible.

That's OK, just remember for next time. I still need to see how you did this - rather, what the generated source looks like - to have a clue how to advise you. Can you put up a live demo of the problem in a portion of your site that is not directly linked to the rest of it?

purifier
12-12-2006, 06:00 PM
You taught me something. Thank you Sir. Though I cannot create a demo page now, I just tried it out in my local server itself. Instead of putting the code between the <head> </head>tags, I put it in the <body></body> tags. Now, it is working great. I was able to solve it because of the clue you gave me about inspecting the source. So, I was able to figure it out. Thank you once again.

Just a last doubt that i have, is it possible to even have submenus with this system?

jscheuer1
12-13-2006, 05:38 AM
Just a last doubt that i have, is it possible to even have submenus with this system?

I suppose but, I'm not sure how that would be done very gracefully. Then again, it might not be too hard to integrate - say a simple dropdown menu into it. After all, the links are configurable as regular HTML so, could act as hooks for another script. But, this is not something I am interested in doing (what with the holidays upon us) at the moment. Perhaps later.

purifier
12-13-2006, 08:01 AM
Oh no problem at all Sir. I just wanted to know if that is possible. Thats because I never worked with Javascript before. Maybe I'll lay my hands on it now... Thank you... :)

purifier
12-13-2006, 05:41 PM
Actually one thing I wanted to know was: Is there any way I could declare a variable like say: boardurl and then mae the menu items contain that URL like boardurl+"/index.php"

This is because I keep changing the board folders in the ftp and it will be very difficult if I have to change the whole set of links... Hope you got my problem...

jscheuer1
12-13-2006, 09:47 PM
Actually one thing I wanted to know was: Is there any way I could declare a variable like say: boardurl and then mae the menu items contain that URL like boardurl+"/index.php"

This is because I keep changing the board folders in the ftp and it will be very difficult if I have to change the whole set of links... Hope you got my problem...

Well, oddly enough, just using:

"/index.php"

or:

"/some_page.php"

Will cause the browser to look for that page in the root of your domain. If you have a sub-folder, and it is changing from time to time, you can do exactly what you are talking about. At the very beginning of menuItems.js you can put:

var boardURL="main_directory/";

In place of main_directory, you can use whatever the name of the directory is. Then in the menuItems property section of any menu, do like so:

//[name, link, target, colspan, endrow?] - leave 'link' and 'target' blank to make a header
["Menu"], //create header
["Home", boardURL+"index.php", ""],
["About Us", boardURL+"about.php",""],
["What's Hot", boardURL+" . . .

purifier
12-14-2006, 07:36 AM
Great... Thats what I wanted to know... I knew the concept but as I have no touch with javascript, i was looking for the syntax. Thank you so much Sir...

Masterskinnie
12-14-2006, 04:25 PM
i finally decided to use a different script.

I still thank you for telling me how to work the script though jscheuer1.

I am going to use it for something else that is better suited for its purposes.
:) :) :)

farmcrest
12-14-2006, 04:36 PM
Hi,

Can anyone tell me how to make the slide menu transparent so the contents are still visible?

I tried to set allowtransparent to true in the left side menu, but it does not seem to work for me.

Thanks

Farmcrest

Masterskinnie
12-14-2006, 06:24 PM
I'm sorry farmcrest I probably could not help you with that.

Jscheuer1, I decided to move away from the omnislide and use a new one I am having problems with it though and posted a new thread : Help with combining pop-it menu and contractible header (http://www.dynamicdrive.com/forums/showthread.php?t=15716):confused: :confused: :confused:

jscheuer1
12-14-2006, 06:31 PM
Hi,

Can anyone tell me how to make the slide menu transparent so the contents are still visible?

I tried to set allowtransparent to true in the left side menu, but it does not seem to work for me.

Thanks

Farmcrest

You also need to choose other properties to be transparent, like (in menuItems.js):

barbgcolor:'#444444', // Background color for 'draw' bar
hdingbgcolor:'#170088', // Headings - background color

And for the links, use the styles on your HTML page:

#menu1 a {color:black;background-color:white;text-decoration:none;text-indent:1ex;}
#menu1 a:active {color:black;text-decoration:none;}
#menu1 a:hover {color:black;background-color:#FFFF99}
#menu1 a:visited {color:black;text-decoration:none;}

Any or all of these may be set to transparent depending upon the look you desire.

pedenny
04-09-2007, 07:33 PM
I am trying to incorporate Omnislide menu into a school website - so nothing too difficult. I have played with the demo page etc and have now copied it into my main Template (I am using Dreamweaver 8). I have also copied over the two '.js' files and all works the same as the demo page UNTIL I alter the structure of the first menu (menu1) in menuitems.js. All the the three menus then disappear and even if I edit it menuitems.js back to the original (using nothing more than 'wordpad') the page does not work and only by copying back the original menuitems.js from the Omnislide download can I get the 'Menus' to reappear. I am obviously doing something very stupid but can someone suggest what it is please.

P

jscheuer1
04-09-2007, 10:07 PM
I am trying to incorporate Omnislide menu into a school website - so nothing too difficult. I have played with the demo page etc and have now copied it into my main Template (I am using Dreamweaver 8). I have also copied over the two '.js' files and all works the same as the demo page UNTIL I alter the structure of the first menu (menu1) in menuitems.js. All the the three menus then disappear and even if I edit it menuitems.js back to the original (using nothing more than 'wordpad') the page does not work and only by copying back the original menuitems.js from the Omnislide download can I get the 'Menus' to reappear. I am obviously doing something very stupid but can someone suggest what it is please.

P

I think you may be leaving out a comma or quote, or nesting a quote without escaping it, something like that or having a line break where there shouldn't be any. Make sure to turn off 'word wrap' in Notepad.

If you are still stumped, give us a link to your menuItems.js - also make sure you are using the capital I.

pedenny
04-11-2007, 09:30 AM
John

Thank you for your help and I have now found my error although I don't understand it.
As I said in my original query I had copied the demo code into Dreamweaver into a template. What I hadn't realised was that the two '.js' files also needed to be in the 'Template' folder. I had put them into the main folder holding all my pages that I had created from the 'Template'. As I can't see that the '.js' files are read by the 'demo' code whilst creating a page I thought this was correct. Evidently not!
Am I still missing something?

Peter

jscheuer1
04-11-2007, 02:37 PM
John

Thank you for your help and I have now found my error although I don't understand it.
As I said in my original query I had copied the demo code into Dreamweaver into a template. What I hadn't realised was that the two '.js' files also needed to be in the 'Template' folder. I had put them into the main folder holding all my pages that I had created from the 'Template'. As I can't see that the '.js' files are read by the 'demo' code whilst creating a page I thought this was correct. Evidently not!
Am I still missing something?

Peter

That sort of design behavior is dictated by the editor, in this case DW. Templates, as carried out by DW, are a bit different than normal pages. It makes an odd sort of sense that it would work the way you describe. However, since I only use a text only editor when constructing pages, I cannot be any more informative on this particular behavior of DW.

You could refer to your DW help, documentation or a DW forum for more perspective on this issue. But, if you've gotten it to work and know what to do in the future if this should happen again, I think you've pretty much 'got it'.

Rob (SA)
05-07-2007, 06:33 PM
Hi John,

Well done on a great script for omnislide.

I am have seen the presentation on DD and would like to incorporate it into my website at http://www.gnjgf.co.za

I have uploaded the two *.js files as well as demo.htm to my website and obviously not doing it correctly as it does not work.

I have very little web experiance and would love some assitance with this regard.

Kind Regards
Rob

jscheuer1
05-07-2007, 06:43 PM
Hi John,

Well done on a great script for omnislide.

I am have seen the presentation on DD and would like to incorporate it into my website at http://www.gnjgf.co.za

I have uploaded the two *.js files as well as demo.htm to my website and obviously not doing it correctly as it does not work.

I have very little web experiance and would love some assitance with this regard.

Kind Regards
Rob

I don't see any demo.htm or any other attempt to use the omni slide menu at the address you supplied above.

Rob (SA)
05-07-2007, 07:05 PM
Hi John,

Thanks for the speedy reply.

I mean no disrespect. I am trying to get it to work and do not know whether I have adopted the correct prceedures in the process.

I have realised that I can ammend details of two menus (right menu and top menu) but not ammend the "side menu" (left side).

I can veiw the demo if I double click the htm file itself but cant get it to appear with the index page of my website as yet.

Kind Regards
Rob

jscheuer1
05-07-2007, 07:18 PM
To have it on any particular page, the two external script calls for the menu must be in the head of the source code for that page, they must point to the actual location of the script files, and there must be no conflicts with other scripts (I see you have a few scripts already - omni slide 'plays nice' with most scripts though). The left menu uses mostly just the defaults but you can add any property to any menu. See:

http://www.dynamicdrive.com/dynamicindex1/omnislide/properties.htm

for a list of available properties.

Rob (SA)
05-07-2007, 07:34 PM
Thanks John,

I have printed the property values for use later - that I dont have to scroll backwards and forwards.

I found that changing the "bartext" one can change the name of the bar for that specific menu. I cannot find the "bartext" for the "side menu" (left side).

Is there a specific manner in which I can get both omnislide and the main page of my website to perform together.

I feel quite brainless but this is the only way I will learn

Regards
Rob

jscheuer1
05-07-2007, 09:37 PM
I found that changing the "bartext" one can change the name of the bar for that specific menu. I cannot find the "bartext" for the "side menu" (left side)

You can add any property to any menu. But, if a property is missing, unless it is marked as required, it will revert to a default value. So, for the first menu, you can add your own value for bartext:

menu[1] = {
id:'menu1', //use unique quoted id (quoted) REQUIRED!!
fontsize:'100%', // express as percentage with the % sign
linkheight:22 , // linked horizontal cells height
hdingwidth:210 , // heading - non linked horizontal cells width
bartext:'MOUSE MENU', // bar text (the vertical cell) use text or img tag
// Finished configuration. Using default values for all other settings for this particular menu (menu[1]) ///

//[name, link, target, colspan, endrow?] - leave 'link' and 'target' blank to make a header
["Menu"], //create header
["Dynamic Drive", "http://www.dynamicdrive.com", ""],
["What's New", "http://www.dynamicdrive.com/new.htm",""],
["What's Hot", "http://www.dynamicdrive.com/hot.htm", ""],
["Message Forum", "http://www.dynamicdrive.com/forums", ""],
["Submit Script", "http://www.dynamicdrive.com/submitscript.htm", ""],
["Link to Us", "http://www.dynamicdrive.com/link.htm", ""],

["FAQ", "http://www.dynamicdrive.com/faqs.htm", "", 1, "no"], //create two column row, requires d_colspan:2 (the default)
["Email", "http://www.dynamicdrive.com/contact.htm", "",1],

["External Links", "", ""], //create header
["JavaScript Kit", "http://www.javascriptkit.com", "_new"],
["Freewarejava", "http://www.freewarejava.com", "_new"],
["Coding Forums", "http://www.codingforums.com", "_new"] //no comma after last entry

]}; // REQUIRED!! do not edit or remove

For your information, text like this:

// bar text (the vertical cell) use text or img tag

is just a comment and is not read by the script parser. These comments are labels and/or instructions.

Is there a specific manner in which I can get both omnislide and the main page of my website to perform togethe

Well, the script won't appear on the page unless you put the script calls on that page. The demo page is just that, a demo. To get the menu on your page, this must be in the head of your page (the styles are configurable):

<style type="text/css">
/*Menu Links*/

/*NOTE: anything not specified for the #(menu id's) a selector and its pseudo classes
may be inherited in some browsers from other 'a' element styles (if any) on the page*/

#menu1 a {color:black;background-color:white;text-decoration:none;text-indent:1ex;}
#menu1 a:active {color:black;text-decoration:none;}
#menu1 a:hover {color:black;background-color:#FFFF99}
#menu1 a:visited {color:black;text-decoration:none;}

#menu2 a {color:navy;background-color:white;text-decoration:none;text-indent:1ex;}
#menu2 a:active {color:blue;text-decoration:none;}
#menu2 a:visited {color:blue;text-decoration:none;}
#menu2 a:hover {color:navy;background-color:#f0fea8}

#menu3 a { /*Menu3 Links*/
color:black;
background-color:white;
text-decoration:none;
text-indent:1ex;
}
#menu3 a:hover {
color:black;background-color:#FFFF99;
}
#menu3 a:active {color:black;text-decoration:none;}
#menu3 a:visited {color:black;text-decoration:none;}

/*End Menu Links*/
</style>
<script src="mmenu.js" type="text/javascript"></script>
<script src="menuItems.js" type="text/javascript">

/***********************************************
* Omni Slide Menu script - John Davenport Scheuer: http://home.comcast.net/~jscheuer1/
* very freely adapted from Dynamic-FX Slide-In Menu (v 6.5) script- by maXimus
* This notice MUST stay intact for legal use
* Visit Dynamic Drive at http://www.dynamicdrive.com/ for full original source code
***********************************************/

</script>

The red highlighted src attributes must point to the location of your copies of the script files. You can leave them 'as is' if the scripts are in the same folder as the page that is using them.

Rob (SA)
05-08-2007, 12:54 PM
Hi John,

Thanks for the response.

I have reloaded the files as shown in your last post and republished my site front page.

I am obviously posting the scripts to the wrong place as I have now lost all my other menus and i feel there is probably the clash you refered to.

From veiwing the site I am sure you will be able to determine the problem at a glance. http://www.gnjgf.co.za

thanks in advanc for the time you have offered to helping me resolve my problem

Regards
Rob

jscheuer1
05-08-2007, 03:57 PM
No, I cannot tell at a glance other than that the code you inserted must go in the head of the document, after this line would be good:

<meta name="GENERATOR" content="Created by BlueVoda">

There could be other problems.

Rob (SA)
05-08-2007, 04:43 PM
Hi John,

I will make the change and re:publish to see what a difference it will make.

Let hope.

Regards
Rob:)

Rob (SA)
05-08-2007, 05:39 PM
Hi John,

Progress is good.

New snag - when I go to the site the slide menus begin in an open position and do not return - specifically - the top and left menu.

Do you have advice for me that I can remedy the problem

regards
Rob

jscheuer1
05-08-2007, 06:08 PM
You have the script code appearing twice on the page, get rid of the second one.

Use this DOCTYPE:

<!DOCTYPE HTML PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD HTML 4.01 Transitional//EN" "http://www.w3.org/TR/1999/REC-html401-19991224/loose.dtd">

Replace your existing one. There may still be problems with other script(s), but this will get it working.

Added: CMFadingEffect is undefined, perhaps you are missing a script for that. Even when I remove omni slide, the problem with CMFadingEffect remains.

Rob (SA)
05-08-2007, 06:42 PM
Hi John,

With this trial and error method I have learnt a lot and in hind sight - the whole process is very simple.

Well done on a great script and also for the time and effort you put in to make this succesfull for so many.

Question?

Is it possible to change the shape of the menu's (i.e make rounded corners) and I guess the answer being yes how easy it it for the beginer to learn.

Regards
Rob

J0cs
07-10-2007, 02:51 PM
Mr. John

i tried putting it in my site...but it seems it is not working... or maybe editing the site takes time...i really don't have a problem with it...my problem is on invisionboard forums...

what are the scripts to put where? i am really going crazy thinking what to put where... and where to put what.... you get what i mean?

thanks a lot for understanding...

EDIT: And do I really need to put the script thingy in every .htm in my site? thanks

J0cs

jscheuer1
07-10-2007, 03:28 PM
Mr. John

i tried putting it in my site...but it seems it is not working... or maybe editing the site takes time...i really don't have a problem with it...my problem is on invisionboard forums...

what are the scripts to put where? i am really going crazy thinking what to put where... and where to put what.... you get what i mean?

thanks a lot for understanding...

EDIT: And do I really need to put the script thingy in every .htm in my site? thanks

J0cs

If by 'thingy' you mean the credit, it must go on every page that uses the script.

I am not familiar with invisionboard in general and the way you have tried specifically to use the script. To be of much direct help there, I would need a link to the problem page(s). It may not be possible to use the script with certain other packages, such as a given forum package. In most cases though, modifications tailored to a specific situation as regards the package, made to either the script, the package, or both could overcome this.

In that case though, the amount of work could be considerable. In any case, you should make sure that you are able to set up and run the script successfully locally before worrying about whether it is compatible with a forum, blog or whatever.

Rob (SA)
07-16-2007, 05:44 AM
Hi John,

I have psoted the scripts on my main page http://www.gnjgf.co.za and the left and right slider are working well.

However I am receiving feed back from folk reading my site that the top slider does not fold out.

On observation it does seem to respond by flickering and it seems to be " set at the back" or behind and image.

Do you have a suggestion to rectify thios problem please:

Kind Regards
Rob

jscheuer1
07-16-2007, 10:54 AM
Hi John,

I have psoted the scripts on my main page http://www.gnjgf.co.za and the left and right slider are working well.

However I am receiving feed back from folk reading my site that the top slider does not fold out.

On observation it does seem to respond by flickering and it seems to be " set at the back" or behind and image.

Do you have a suggestion to rectify thios problem please:

Kind Regards
Rob

Looks good in Opera and in FF. In IE 7, I see what you mean. Use a strict DOCTYPE:

<!DOCTYPE html PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD HTML 4.01//EN" "http://www.w3.org/TR/html4/strict.dtd">

or at least a transitional url DOCTYPE:

<!DOCTYPE HTML PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD HTML 4.01 Transitional//EN" "http://www.w3.org/TR/1999/REC-html401-19991224/loose.dtd">

Your current DOCTYPE:

<!DOCTYPE HTML PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD HTML 4.01 Transitional//EN">

allows IE to present the page in quirks mode - not a pretty sight.

Rob (SA)
07-16-2007, 11:07 AM
Hi John,

Thanks for the codes - I will try use them and test them when complete.

Question - What is quirk mode?

Regards

jscheuer1
07-16-2007, 11:45 AM
That's quirks (with an s) mode. It is a way of rendering a page that doesn't make any attempt to follow any particular set of standards.

djr33
07-16-2007, 12:10 PM
It's the default mode, so it's fairly loose in some ways, which won't hold up in all browsers. Basically, it makes sloppy code work and debugging later (for other browsers/systems/functionality) difficult.

Rob (SA)
07-23-2007, 02:00 PM
HI John,

Thanks for the Codes.

I have looked and tried to make the changes you suggest but do not seem to be doing this correctly. As the change never remains saved and always reverts back to the old.

Please advise me as to the correct method I should adopt to acces this point of change .

That I may continue

Regards
Rob

jscheuer1
07-23-2007, 02:37 PM
I have looked and tried to make the changes you suggest but do not seem to be doing this correctly. As the change never remains saved and always reverts back to the old.

That would be a problem with your editor, most likely. Are you using FP? It could be something else. It would be very hard for me to know for sure without looking over your shoulder as this occurs.

Rob (SA)
07-23-2007, 03:47 PM
Hi John,

I am using BlueVoda and find it very easy to use

I manage to understand the change you suggest but not sure how to access that specific line to make the change. (i.e. using the strict code).

Regards
Rob

jscheuer1
07-23-2007, 06:56 PM
I am using BlueVoda

I know nothing about that particular one. Hopefully it doesn't change your code for you without asking. To change the DOCTYPE header on a file, try Notepad.

Rob (SA)
07-23-2007, 07:10 PM
Hi John,

I feel quite stupid at this end.

If I veiw the source of this specific page - the Notepad opens and text is veiwed. The code we require to change is the first line.

I can change it - physically but it does not save the change I desire - ie that is with the strict code.

Do I have to do something els that will bring the changes into effect?

Regards
Rob

jscheuer1
07-24-2007, 05:39 AM
Yes, after you change the code in notepad, you have to save the file in notepad. Then view it in the browser locally, as a test. Any changes to the local file will not affect the live page until the live page is replaced with the local file.

Rob (SA)
07-24-2007, 11:30 AM
Hi John,

Thanks very much for your inputs.

I have eventually got it done - quite simple when I know how its done.

Please could you test it from your side again and tell me if the menu bar top now shows properly and is not just a flickering as in the past?

Kind Regards

jscheuer1
07-24-2007, 01:33 PM
Looks good!

Rob (SA)
07-25-2007, 05:44 AM
Hi John,

Thanks for all your efforts.

Kind Regards
Rob

akeka
07-26-2007, 05:00 AM
Sorry, im nubb

How do i put / use

<!DOCTYPE html PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD HTML 4.01//EN" "http://www.w3.org/TR/html4/strict.dtd">

???

jscheuer1
07-26-2007, 05:11 AM
Sorry, im nubb

How do i put / use

???

Open your page in notepad, place the DOCTYPE declaration before anything else, before the opening:

<html>

tag. Then save the file. Here is a blank example page with the DOCTYPE in the proper spot:

<html>
<head>
<title></title>
<meta http-equiv="Content-Type" content="text/html; charset=iso-8859-1">

</head>
<body>

</body>
</html>

Only one DOCTYPE tag allowed, so if you already have one, get rid of it first.

akeka
07-26-2007, 05:46 AM
Thanks for the reply, but i've problem putting it.

This is my situation, i use the script in PHP that use session to auth.

So, i cant put the

At the beginning of the page. How do i solve that. Thanks

jscheuer1
07-26-2007, 07:16 AM
Thanks for the reply, but i've problem putting it.

This is my situation, i use the script in PHP that use session to auth.

So, i cant put the

At the beginning of the page. How do i solve that. Thanks

I don't do much PHP. Generally though, anything that can go on an HTML page can go on a PHP page. If you have PHP code that must go at the beginning of the page, and if that code doesn't write anything to the page as it is served, at that spot in th page, the DOCTYPE can go after that. It just has to go before the opening <html> tag.

If you need more PHP help, post in the PHP forum.

Rob (SA)
09-05-2007, 07:50 AM
Hi John,

Me again.

I have refresehed my front page and the top slider does not want to veiw as it should.

In fixing it last time you helped me to change a line of script that was causing the slider not to veiw correctly.

The main page was http://www.gnjgf.co.za

I would appreciate it that you shjow me that change again. I have searched the forum for that help but cannot locate it.

Looking forward to you response

Kind Regards
Rob

jscheuer1
09-05-2007, 03:35 PM
Hi John,

Me again.

I have refresehed my front page and the top slider does not want to veiw as it should.

In fixing it last time you helped me to change a line of script that was causing the slider not to veiw correctly.

The main page was http://www.gnjgf.co.za

I would appreciate it that you shjow me that change again. I have searched the forum for that help but cannot locate it.

Looking forward to you response

Kind Regards
Rob

You've reverted to your old DOCTYPE that puts IE into quirks mode.

The information on fixing that is in these posts:

http://www.dynamicdrive.com/forums/showpost.php?p=91600&postcount=40

http://www.dynamicdrive.com/forums/showpost.php?p=100697&postcount=45

http://www.dynamicdrive.com/forums/showpost.php?p=101835&postcount=52

http://www.dynamicdrive.com/forums/showpost.php?p=101890&postcount=54

Rob (SA)
09-05-2007, 07:13 PM
Hi John,

I have made these changes and that change is ok.

I twas a change made to a script that brought about the desired effect of bringing th etop slider to the front and not making it appear as a flickering on the front page.

I hope this helps in your quest to help me.

Regards
Rob

jscheuer1
09-05-2007, 08:19 PM
Hi John,

I have made these changes and that change is ok.

I twas a change made to a script that brought about the desired effect of bringing th etop slider to the front and not making it appear as a flickering on the front page.

I hope this helps in your quest to help me.

Regards
Rob

Well, whatever you did, it's working fine now. If you still see a problem, clear your browser's cache.

Rob (SA)
09-05-2007, 08:44 PM
Hi John,

Thanks.

To many things. I think I was confussed with the other script we worked on.

I have changed it as you suggested and thanks for the confirmation that it works

Kind Regards

chasepeysen
07-27-2011, 04:31 PM
John,

I'm using your script (omni slide), which has saved me. I'm just not sure where to put my own markup if I wish.

Can you advise me what to do when I set the property:
user_defined_markup:true,

Where does my mark up that I want to put other content in go?

Thanks alot Sir,

jscheuer1
07-28-2011, 04:22 PM
John,

I'm using your script (omni slide), which has saved me. I'm just not sure where to put my own markup if I wish.

Can you advise me what to do when I set the property:
user_defined_markup:true,

Where does my mark up that I want to put other content in go?

Thanks alot Sir,

First thing after the opening <body> tag.