PDA

View Full Version : Switch Menu - Lag in Persistent state across pages in IE

jolly_jonesy
12-01-2006, 09:57 AM
Hi

I am having some delay and refresh issues with Switch Menu Persistence across my website...

When I navigate to other pages from submenu links there is a noticeable lag between the next page understanding which submenu to have open. The default for the menu is for all submenus to be closed so as you refresh to the next page the menu 'Blinks closed' and then opens to the correct persistent state.. The look is undesirable and strangely does not occur in firefox??? so can't be a internet speed issue.. this only occurs in IE 6 & 7 ... and tried on different PCs in different locations...

It is tending to happen for the links under the Products and Indurty Title links... which also happen to be the pages with the most content....

any ideas ???.. could this be improved in the way the web pages load in??.. could the menu be loaded in first before???

Link to the website I am buuilding...

http://www.inovision.co.uk/switchproblem/

also.. is there a way to close all submenu when clicking on the home link??

help please..

Cheers

Steve (aka jolly)

jolly_jonesy
12-03-2006, 05:58 PM
hello?.... anyone got a suggestion?.........silence so far...

jscheuer1
12-03-2006, 07:47 PM
I answered your second question in your other post about that:

http://www.dynamicdrive.com/forums/showthread.php?t=15402

The first question is tricky. Any browser might have a short lag when performing menu display adjustments onload. It is just a matter of how quickly the page loads. It can be an internet speed issue affecting one browser more so than another. If one browser has caching disabled, for instance, or its cache is small, or if it loads images or whatever more slowly. If caching is the problem, any browser will have this issue if its cache is cleared.

Especially if your particular page is exhibiting more lag time than the demo page, or even if it is not, the lag can be reduced by reducing the load time of your page. Reduce the total byte load of the page by removing content (especially images and tables) or replacing them with similar content that uses less total bytes.

There may be some code issues involved as well, like code on your page that slows loading in a particular browser (particularly like preloading a non-existent image), or something with the script itself. I doubt that it is the script itself but, will look into it.

jolly_jonesy
12-04-2006, 06:57 AM
Ok thanks... I shall look into it as well..

Steve

jolly_jonesy
12-08-2006, 04:07 PM
Hi John,

Well if it is down to the speed of the page loading is there a way to load in the menu and or script controlling the menu before everything else??.. would this not solve the problem... and is this actually achieveable??

still not sure why firefox runs it fine without a delay..

Steve

jscheuer1
12-10-2006, 04:12 PM
Your page is in violation of Dynamic Drive's usage terms (http://www.dynamicdrive.com/notice.htm), which, among other things, state that the script credit must appear in the source code of the page(s) using the script. Please reinstate the notice first.

That said, I think the easiest solution would be (since you already know which blocks you want to be open on each page) to simply have the desired block be open on the pages involved rather than relying on the script and cookies to make it so.

You should be able to achieve that by setting the inline display property of the desired block - for example on the flowmaster_V7.html:

Products</div><div class="submenu" id="sub1" style="display:block;"> . . .

Some editing of the script and/or turning off persistence may also be required.

jolly_jonesy
12-12-2006, 11:45 AM
Oh sorry.. mega apologies!!!! didnt realise that I had knocked the credits off. I shall put them back asap!!!! cut and paste skills :(

I'll try your suggestions... Thanks

Steve

jolly_jonesy
12-12-2006, 11:59 AM
That is a good suggestion, but as this is a largeish site and created only using 3 templates it would requiredgoing through every page manually putting in the display:block code onto every page which kind of meeses up the automation of templates and external js script... mm

Tricky, but a good B plan.. still need an A plan... and still really pissed that it works fine in Mozilla and not in IE!

Cheers

jscheuer1
12-12-2006, 03:24 PM
At the moment I cannot access your demo (did you take it down or restrict access to it in some way?) so, it would be hard to be specific. If you have templates and a server side language available, you could use includes to cut down on editing. Also, if each page that has a specific desired expanded section were in a certain directory for pages of that sort, a test of the page's URL might be able to be used to determine what division should be made, via script, to have display block.

Another thing to consider is - are you obsessing over something that really isn't that important. To the average user who doesn't have your pages cached to begin with, each page will look odd while loading (as all pages do). The particular oddness of expanding a menu area onload is insignificant in relation to that.